The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lake People ADC RS 04 vs. Crookwood MultiDAD
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Lake People ADC RS 04 vs. Crookwood MultiDAD

Purely based on research I've narrowed my choices down to these two. I'm looking for an uncolored, true-to-the-source converter.

On paper the Crookwood has the SRC chip going for it, the Lake People unit uses a PLL. Lake People use a switching PSU, not completely sure about Crookwood, but it has on-board linear regulators and an external PSU (probably just a trafo). Crookwood appears to use a LM type op amps, Lake People the tried and tested 5532.

I think both use the same Cirrus Logic ADC chip (still the best sounding one from my limited experience).

Both companies have a lot of experience building converters and also designing analog circuits.

Has anyone heard them side by side by any chance?
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

What ruled out the Lake People ADC F444-S for you? It is the same as ADC RS 04 (minus the limiter), but with a chunky transformer in the PS. The ADC F444 is my most used converter for both tracking and mastering. (Others I use regularly are Lynx Hilo and Mytek Stereo ADC192.) I have no experience with the Crockwood.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

I talked to Lake People on the phone and they told me the RS 04 was the same as the F444 but newer, the latter having additional syncing features (which I do not need). I've seen mastering studios actually using the RS 04, too.
Old 14th June 2018
I stopped using Cirrus for ADC's many years ago. BurrBrown makes a better ADC chipset. The PCM4222 EVM is only $149 from TI, add a power supply and go...
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I stopped using Cirrus for ADC's many years ago. BurrBrown makes a better ADC chipset. The PCM4222 EVM is only $149 from TI, add a power supply and go...
Yea, I've got the evaluation board, even built a custom input stage for it. But my ears prefer the Cirrus ADC.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Yea, I've got the evaluation board, even built a custom input stage for it. But my ears prefer the Cirrus ADC.
Someone in Europe has a Qes im sure, its worth listening to.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Someone in Europe has a Qes im sure, its worth listening to.
I ruled out the QES since it uses essentially the identical TI chipset and I'm not convinced by the audio files. From my own experiences with electronics I find that a no-nonsense solid state stage based on properly implimented tried and tested standard op amps is as neutral as it gets.

I've ordered an ADC RS 04, if I like it I keep it, otherwise I can send it back. I will talk to crookwood though when I find the time.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ruled out the QES since it uses essentially the identical TI chipset and I'm not convinced by the audio files. From my own experiences with electronics I find that a no-nonsense solid state stage based on properly implimented tried and tested standard op amps is as neutral as it gets.

I've ordered an ADC RS 04, if I like it I keep it, otherwise I can send it back. I will talk to crookwood though when I find the time.
Thats cool. At least you have the option of returning it if it doesnt fit your needs.
Old 21st September 2018
Quote:

Hello. How did this ADC work out for you?
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

hey - any updates? Any comments on the sound?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search