The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Torn between two monitors Studio Monitors
Old 9th June 2018
Torn between two monitors

I'm looking to upgrade from my Rokit 5's. I want to skip the Yamahas and go straight to the $1000-$1500/pair range. I'd really like something with as wide and deep a soundstage as possible. My studio is in my bedroom for now until I move out of my apartment, but I don't know when that will be. I mix all kinds of stuff from EDM to metalcore to jazz. Room is 14'3 x 11'3 x 8', and will be treated before the monitors go in.

The two models I've been looking at the most are the Mackie HR824 and the Adam A7X. The dilemma I'm facing is whether the lower-reaching response of the Mackies (35-20k) is a waste in this size room as opposed to that super extended high end of the Adams (42-50k). I'm also thinking the front facing ports on the Adams will be more ideal for my room, and I've heard they have that deep soundstage that I'm looking for. I don't know what the stereo field is like on the Mackies but I assume it's at least comparable being in this price class.

Of course I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I've mixed a lot of rap on hr824s, the sub is needed for the low low stuff. Have you heard the krk v8 s4?
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear

You owe it to your wallet to go to the nearest big music retailer and listen to some of those speakers for yourself, you won't get the same sound you would in your treated room but surely you'll get an idea of the difference between those.

I understand wanting to go as high in quality as you can with the money you have, everybody would want to do that ofc, but you might find that the most expensive pair of speakers doesn't sound as good/usable/accurate as a cheaper pair - I for example prefer the yamy HS8 to the adam A7x, and you might find something similar in your trip.

It might also be worth it to look to your local used market/ebay/craigslist, people sell all kinds of stuff for all kinds of prices.
Old 9th June 2018
Here for the gear

Hey I was in exactly the same situation. Had the Rokit 5s and looked for some new speakers for my home (bedroom) studio in the same price class.

I went two times to the local store to check out all possible speakers. Then I got two finalists:
EVE Audio SC207 & Neumann KH120A.

I know these two are very different. But they were my favorites soundwise.

Long story short - I did choose the Neumann speakers because of the following:
- they sounded more natural for me (EVE was more Hi-fi / lower mids)
- the EVEs are really huge speakers.. and I wanted to keep everything compact here
- I trust Neumann as a company because of their really good mics

So what I want to tell you, if you like the Adam, check out the EVEs and definetely check the Neumanns

Maybe you will need a sub for that low end when choosing the Neumanns. But you have to listen first - I think their bass response is incredible good for that size!
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilef33 View Post
- I trust Neumann as a company because of their really good mics
I'm not sure how much Neumann had to do with the design of those speakers. I think they basically bought the company Klein and Hummel (hence the KH in the name) and rebranded them as Neumann.

dB
Old 10th June 2018
The Neumanns are the only ones I have a real world reference for. We have a pair in the mastering room at my college (why they have them next to a pair of PMC IB1S-A's, or in a mastering room in the first place, I have no idea). They sound great, but I'd like something with more low end than a 5 incher can provide.

I'll have to go to Sam Ash and see if I can get a listening test going on. I did see someone selling a pair of HR824's locally for $500. Says they work perfectly fine, just some minor cosmetic wear. If they're still available when my next paycheck comes through I might just have to grab them because that's a steal.
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear

Id say go for Focal Shape 50s....

If you are going for the Neumanns (not sure if they are the same), I remember liking the Focal CMS65 more than the Neumanns... The shape 50 though I think sounds much better than the CMS65, and it should as its much newer tech.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search