The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony ECM-51 service manual and repair question
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sony ECM-51 service manual and repair question

First off, I just scanned in the ECM-51 service manual, in case anyone is looking for it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lukpac...57694426924062

Second, does anyone have experience repairing these? I just got one, and the wire that connects from the center of the extension tube to the FET is broken. You can see it sticking out of the top here:

Unfortunately, I can't seem to remove the part labeled "case, rear" from the shaft. The diagram suggests it unscrews, but it just turns on the shaft without unscrewing. Looking in from the top, the threads that "screw, spring stopper" screw into seem to be a separate part, but I can't figure out how to separate that from the case.

For the time being I soldered an extension onto the wire to the FET, stripped the end off, and shoved it down into the cavity where the wire normally connects, and it does work, but obviously jostling the mic much causes it to cut in and out. I'm really hoping to fix that, as the mic is otherwise in pretty good shape and sounds good.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
Unfortunately, I can't seem to remove the part labeled "case, rear" from the shaft. The diagram suggests it unscrews, but it just turns on the shaft without unscrewing. Looking in from the top, the threads that "screw, spring stopper" screw into seem to be a separate part, but I can't figure out how to separate that from the case.
A follow-up to this for anyone running into a similar problem. The threaded piece at the top of the telescoping shaft was turning in the shaft when I tried to unscrew the case from it. After some head scratching, I found a way to freeze it so I could unscrew the case without damaging anything. I made a jig by drilling a hole slightly smaller than the shaft into a piece of wood, then cutting the wood in two. I was then able to clamp it in a vice:

That allowed me to unscrew the case:

As I discovered, that still does not give one access to the center conductor to re-solder the wire. However, with the case removed, you can push the pieces of the shaft back through themselves which then allows the inside shaft to be removed:

At that point you can re-solder a wire to the inside shaft, reassemble the shaft, and then re-solder the wire to the FET. I'm currently waiting on some parts, but I'll post some photos of that process when I'm done.

For some reason the shaft components aren't documented in the service manual, but thankfully it's all pretty straightforward once you get the case off the end.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

All fixed. A quick overview:

1) Feed new wire through top segment of outer shaft and spacer, solder to inner shaft:

2) Reassemble outer shaft with copper bushings, making sure plastic spacers are in place:

3) Start assembling components, threading them on to center wire:

4) Re-solder center wire to FET, place heat shrink tubing around FET:

5) Place circuit board back into body, screw capsule back on:

I didn't take many photos of the disassembly process, but obviously it's just the assembly process in reverse.

Here are all of the photos:

Sony ECM-51 mic repair | Flickr
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search