The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tlm 102 upgrade and mic choice for voice Dynamic Microphones
Old 1st June 2018
Here for the gear

Tlm 102 upgrade and mic choice for voice

HI,I have a home studio with tlm 102, spl crimson, isa one and I had a golden age pre 73. I would like to change the microphone with a mic more "high end". I do rap and I have a very hard and acidic voice in the mid-high frequencies, I use a voice a little screamed , but also quite low tones where it gives me less problems. sometimes I find it very annoying and I have to work a lot in the mix, but that feeling of acidity remains and I can not let out an open and sturdy voice as I would like, in that area sounds shrill and scratched, in a few words I sound bad. I tried rode k2 long ago and it sounded with a very annoying crackling effect, an at4060 that looked good and a little better but it always had an annoying effect, I think it was the tube (I bought it used), I still believe that my voice suffers also of this "crackling" effect in certain sources. on tlm 102 much less but more with the effects I listed above. I heard the sm7b, and I know it might sound good, but I find it too closed and I do not like it. I would like something open, modern, but able to make my voice sound better. Let's say that I would buy it used, in the price of a used U89 (what do you think?), So to speak and give an idea of ​​the budget. I do not know how it is the American market of used microphones but I am in Italy, I apologize for my poor language.
i got krk 8400,ath m70x and yamaha hs5.
The room is slightly acoustically treated, I use a SE space filter and some panels, but I plan to do it in the future and record my album in a rented rehearsal room.
thanks everyone in advance
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe try a Heil dynamic mic, like the PR35 or PR40. This has a crisper, more condenser-like frequency response and will get you a polished sound for less than a condenser.

Mic for a rapper with a harsh upper mid range?
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALIAN BOY View Post
HI,I have a home studio with tlm 102, spl crimson, isa one and I had a golden age pre 73. I would like to change the microphone with a mic more "high end". I do rap and I have a very hard and acidic voice in the mid-high frequencies, I use a voice a little screamed , but also quite low tones where it gives me less problems. sometimes I find it very annoying and I have to work a lot in the mix, but that feeling of acidity remains and I can not let out an open and sturdy voice as I would like, in that area sounds shrill and scratched, in a few words I sound bad. I tried rode k2 long ago and it sounded with a very annoying crackling effect, an at4060 that looked good and a little better but it always had an annoying effect, I think it was the tube (I bought it used), I still believe that my voice suffers also of this "crackling" effect in certain sources. on tlm 102 much less but more with the effects I listed above. I heard the sm7b, and I know it might sound good, but I find it too closed and I do not like it. I would like something open, modern, but able to make my voice sound better. Let's say that I would buy it used, in the price of a used U89 (what do you think?), So to speak and give an idea of ​​the budget. I do not know how it is the American market of used microphones but I am in Italy, I apologize for my poor language.
i got krk 8400,ath m70x and yamaha hs5.
The room is slightly acoustically treated, I use a SE space filter and some panels, but I plan to do it in the future and record my album in a rented rehearsal room.
thanks everyone in advance
Do you have access to a good boutique gear store that sells higher end microphones in your city? Perhaps with a dedicated mic room? You could take the opportunity to try a few mics and see what works on your voice.

Can you better describe "hard and acidic?" A lot of bite and brilliance of tone or shrill and unruly, perhaps a combination of the what I've mentioned or just shrill sounding? Do you have a comparison to a current rap artist that you feel you sound close to for reference? If you'd like, I can PM you with a recommendation to check out. It's reasonably priced (under $1K US) and should be available in the EU.

M
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search