The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does analog gear really sound "better", or is it just a learned response?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
They sound very different.
And why is that? This is two renderings of the same tracks? Only one was mixed ITB and the other using analog gear through a console? So it just means you do better work (according to you and your client) with hardware than with software. It's about your skills and approach, not about whether analog is "better" than digital.

A different engineer may have taken the same tracks and run through nothing but plugins and come up with an even better mix. Or not. You really haven't proven anything other than your apparent lack of skill in mixing ITB.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
And why is that? This is two renderings of the same tracks? Only one was mixed ITB and the other using analog gear through a console? So it just means you do better work (according to you and your client) with hardware than with software. It's about your skills and approach, not about whether analog is "better" than digital.

A different engineer may have taken the same tracks and run through nothing but plugins and come up with an even better mix. Or not. You really haven't proven anything other than your apparent lack of skill in mixing ITB.
Analog on the 2-bus is a thing. There are always a bunch of threads about it here at GS at any given moment. The one about the LTL Silver Bullet is an especially good one, with a plethora of testimonials, with 4700 posts and over 440,000 views.

Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Gee, that’s just amazing, a poster with 3 posts who calls himself “out of the box” recounting an “accidental” anecdote of two mixes that must’ve sounded “very different” indeed. Lol
That's why I HAD to give Serban that "like"!

Chris
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post

... but they're listening to digital on Soundcloud at 128kbps bit rate or something..

If it says anything, it's about your choices when mixing ITB and mixing in analogue.

Have you been mixing the same tracks using different paths?

If not, then not even the same material then.. so you could well be saying to yourself " hey, this track sounds so good I'll do it in analogue! " and " this track is boring, I'll just do what I can with it ITB"

Who knows what other choices you're making when deciding what is done in analogue and which ITB.

Then is your amount of processing different? People sometimes only want to lightly touch something with their analogue gear and, because of the wide variety of options ITB, do more full-on processing ITB.

Possibly the only thing that makes the difference is your very last process - if you run the mix through a compressor, perhaps your analogue compressor sounds better than one ITB. That could be the only difference perhaps. Try experimenting to find what makes the difference..

However you're kidding yourself if you think your brief anecdote really shows what you think it does.. and often that's the problem, people do kid themselves. It's human nature and we *all* do it. There must be a hundred recognised biases in psychology and behavioural science.

Please note: I have only talked about how you draw conclusions from the evidence you show. I'm not saying anything about analogue or learned responses or digital or anything being better than the other.

One big point though : If mixing in analogue makes *you* perform better and make better choices, you should stick with that workflow! Whatever gets the best results for you and your customers.
Soundcloud doesn't undo it. It's still able to be heard. I can her it plain as day.

Normal listeners can get stuck on a song they don't like, a performance they don't like, a snare too loud, a choice of how loud I put the vocal. Musician listeners, especially the ones who have some experience doing their own recording which my clients mostly do, can hear tonal differences not just mix choices and performance.

As far as how I decide what to mix ITB or OTB the decision is easy. The client makes it. I charge $500-600 for OTB and $150-200 ITB. You think that means I want to sell analog mixing? Not really, an analog mix takes me almost two days the way I do it which is fully re-callable, and is a huge pain in the ass. A software mix takes me 3-4 hours tops. My clients would all rather get more songs done and I'll get the $500-600 anyway and easier just doing more songs. I never mix the same song analog and digital, If I'm not paid for it I don't do it. What the analog mixing does get me is, your right maybe it's just me, but I'm able to get a better sound on analog. The clients hear those mixes and hire me. They usually have me do ITB just cause it's cheaper. The OTB just get's me the jobs. IRL I'm about 20% analog mixing or less but on my soundcloud it's the other way around. 80% OTB. It just get's me gigs, what can I say. I give the client the choice. I explain the difference. It's usually only after I've built a working relationship and got a couple mixes under my belt for someone they spring for analog and still pretty rarely.

I'm also speaking on average. It's possible to knock a mix out of the park ITB and fail at one OTB but on the whole the tone is there even on soundcloud. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I use the same techniques ITB vs OTB for the most part. The same style compressors and EQs that I would use OTB. The differance being I tend to use more processing ITB just because more is available to me. I don't have any real life tape machines, but do use virtual ones. They do seem to help.

One thing might be I needed to step up my plugin game. I was using UAD alot but I've just got into plugin alliance and some of that stuff especially the TMT consoles and EQs are really great. I'm starting to produce some hip hop beats and electronic tracks more myself so I will be using plugins on all that stuff for the sake of time and getting more done. Still I have a massive passive sitting there, and might just have to pass some 2-tracks through it. I mean c'mon haven't you spent serious time with an analog processor? Isn't there something extra there for you? Just multiply that difference. There's your answer. Maybe this Plugin Alliance stuff will make that much difference for me. I'd love a BMW instead of Manley and Cranesong. Although honestly hearing the pA stuff it's great but is it really the same? From what I've heard from brief testing, I'll just say it's close.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
Soundcloud doesn't undo it. It's still able to be heard. I can her it plain as day.

Normal listeners can get stuck on a song they don't like, a performance they don't like, a snare too loud, a choice of how loud I put the vocal. Musician listeners, especially the ones who have some experience doing their own recording which my clients mostly do, can hear tonal differences not just mix choices and performance.

As far as how I decide what to mix ITB or OTB the decision is easy. The client makes it. I charge $500-600 for OTB and $150-200 ITB. You think that means I want to sell analog mixing? Not really, an analog mix takes me almost two days the way I do it which is fully re-callable, and is a huge pain in the ass. A software mix takes me 3-4 hours tops. My clients would all rather get more songs done and I'll get the $500-600 anyway and easier just doing more songs. I never mix the same song analog and digital, If I'm not paid for it I don't do it. What the analog mixing does get me is, your right maybe it's just me, but I'm able to get a better sound on analog. The clients hear those mixes and hire me. They usually have me do ITB just cause it's cheaper. The OTB just get's me the jobs. IRL I'm about 20% analog mixing or less but on my soundcloud it's the other way around. 80% OTB. It just get's me gigs, what can I say. I give the client the choice. I explain the difference. It's usually only after I've built a working relationship and got a couple mixes under my belt for someone they spring for analog and still pretty rarely.

I'm also speaking on average. It's possible to knock a mix out of the park ITB and fail at one OTB but on the whole the tone is there even on soundcloud. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I use the same techniques ITB vs OTB for the most part. The same style compressors and EQs that I would use OTB. The differance being I tend to use more processing ITB just because more is available to me. I don't have any real life tape machines, but do use virtual ones. They do seem to help.

One thing might be I needed to step up my plugin game. I was using UAD alot but I've just got into plugin alliance and some of that stuff especially the TMT consoles and EQs are really great. I'm starting to produce some hip hop beats and electronic tracks more myself so I will be using plugins on all that stuff for the sake of time and getting more done. Still I have a massive passive sitting there, and might just have to pass some 2-tracks through it. I mean c'mon haven't you spent serious time with an analog processor? Isn't there something extra there for you? Just multiply that difference. There's your answer. Maybe this Plugin Alliance stuff will make that much difference for me. I'd love a BMW instead of Manley and Cranesong. Although honestly hearing the pA stuff it's great but is it really the same? From what I've heard from brief testing, I'll just say it's close.
1 - if it's not undone by the low quality digital of soundcloud, then what your hearing is not a digital vs analogue difference

2 - your analogue mixes are paid for by people who already have a notion their material will sound better if they pay 2 to 3 times as much - so they will have better quality standards and the original material will be better already..

3 - you spend 4 times longer on the analogue mixes

I mean, to start with, that's 3 easy points to pull from what you've said that give doubt to the conclusion it's all about analogue gear versus ITB.

To ignore those is to just pander to a belief. You need to check things out - mix the same thing twice using different paths and spend the same time on both - just sit with the material for that long ITB even if the actual mixing doesn't take as long due to practical simplicity.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
To ignore those is to just pander to a belief. You need to check things out - mix the same thing twice using different paths and spend the same time on both - just sit with the material for that long ITB even if the actual mixing doesn't take as long due to practical simplicity.
Aren't you pandering to a belief?

Quote:
I've another thing to ponder.

Why is that when a piece of analogue gear has two versions, one with transformers on the inputs and outputs and the other a descrete balancing circuit, why do people always seek out the transformer versions and pay higher prices for them (when secondhand)? Even when those descrete circuits are shown to be more transparent, both objectively and subjectively. Even in amongst the details of analogue gear choices, each peice seems to be often chosen on the basis of imparting a nice sound (other than the process it's intended to) rather than doing it's analogue process as transparently as possible.

Could we be having the same argument but only within the boundaries of analogue equipment alone? "The circuit is objectively transparent", "this transformer sounds more subjectively real" etc etc

In which case is the digital part of the current discussion a red herring?
It seems to me you're completely ignorant as to why people seek out transformers in their signal path.

Have you ever used analog gear? If so which pieces? In what context? Have you "checked things out" as you stated in your own words?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvetone View Post
Huh? Are you really saying that *NOT* making assumptions .. is "pandering to a belief" that something might not be true?

Seriously? I

Quote:
It seems to me you're completely ignorant as to why people seek out transformers in their signal path.

Have you ever used analog gear? If so which pieces? In what context? Have you "checked things out" as you stated in your own words?
Checked what out? I was suggesting someone - if they are really interested - should check out what exactly it is that makes their analogue mixes sound better. It's called "learning", "improving", "becoming more efficient" . If the whole difference is down to one single process he uses then he can also include that on his ITB mixing to get the same quality of result..

So why should I be checking something out here? You don't like learning or thinking or discovering things, you only think you should ever act on instinct or whim? Fine for your own life but why get so het up about people suggesting it?

Regarding transformers in equipment: Of course I am ignorant of single person's individual reasons for choosing gear with transformer inputs/outputs ! Who do you think I am, God?

It was something to think about. Obviously you have one single reason for it and you have assumed (likely wrongly) that every single person has that same reason.

As far as I'm concerned, whether one bit of gear sounds better to my ears than the other has nothing to do with transformers - the whole is more complex.

But, from all the reading over the years, all the fettishisation of gear, people fall over themselves with gushing adjectives of smooth and rich sounds when talking about transformers.. and often "clinical this" or "sterile that" when talking solid state input and output circuitry. It's frankly BS - it's not just a transformer, it's the whole peice of gear you hear, some transformers sound like nothing and some solid state is coloured. Similar to how, in blind tests, people can't tell the difference between a range of preamps recording a mechanically automated piano, listeners describing completely conflicting sonics of eac, depending on what they thought it was..

Even when a high-end manufacturer brings out the non-transformered version as a tested improvement, one that is accepted as an improvement by contemporary professionals, years later the gear lusters seek out the older version and are convinced that one is the better.. even creating stories that of course removing the transformers was a cost cutting exercise blah blah.

Once you've read all those stories, you're primed to seek out the transformer version before one has even heard it, let alone compared.. I am definitely susceptible to that, getting a distinct feeling of missing out if a bit of gear turns out to be the non-transformered version. Already my emotions are primed before I've even plugged it in. Luckily I never have enough money to go on searching for the other version - I accept my lot and just use the gear.

I think you underestimate the role psychology plays in all this, it's not a pure judgement of sound..
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:

It's obvious you are arguing with the person rather than the position. My advice: Take a deep breath.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

So what analog gear have you used?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
It's obvious you are arguing with the person rather than the factual position. Take a deep breath.
If one were questioned as why they put butter on a baked potato, I'd say it's probably because they like the way it tastes.

Who's to question that?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Analog on the 2-bus is a thing. There are always a bunch of threads about it here at GS at any given moment. The one about the LTL Silver Bullet is an especially good one, with a plethora of testimonials, with 4700 posts and over 440,000 views.

Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
GS is primarily a pro- sumer, gear - lust site, so no surprise there, this is the place to sell millions ( well, ok, thousands) of magic boxes to amateurs looking for “fill in the blank” to “spice up” their sound. A sound created in untreated, comb - filtered nests of nulled bass response and poor imaging driven by an overall lack of experience outweighed by unbridled enthusiasm - just read any ten posts and enjoy the lexicon of meaningless superlatives.

This has nothing to do with what happens in the real world - the fact that rock mix icons are finally catching up to what their brothers in the classical, jazz, film and tv post world have known for 15 years should be enlightening to members here, but instead, they make excuses and cast doubt on the credibility of people they aspire to match, but most never will.
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
If one were questioned as why they put butter on a baked potato, I'd say it's probably because they like the way it tastes.

Who's to question that?
Who, indeed?

And if that had been the way I tracked the interaction, I would not have stuck my head in.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
GS is primarily a pro- sumer, gear - lust site, so no surprise there, this is the place to sell millions ( well, ok, thousands) of magic boxes to amateurs looking for “fill in the blank” to “spice up” their sound. A sound created in untreated, comb - filtered nests of nulled bass response and poor imaging driven by an overall lack of experience outweighed by unbridled enthusiasm - just read any ten posts and enjoy the lexicon of meaningless superlatives.

This has nothing to do with what happens in the real world - the fact that rock mix icons are finally catching up to what their brothers in the classical, jazz, film and tv post world have known for 15 years should be enlightening to members here, but instead, they make excuses and cast doubt on the credibility of people they aspire to match, but most never will.
There's a dude (DrSax) active on the LTL SB thread who's recently charted #1 on the Billboard smooth jazz chart.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a dude (DrSax) active on the LTL SB thread who's recently charted #1 on the Billboard smooth jazz chart.
Thank you Mr Obvious, yes there are a handful of pros here, but the marketing and business model of this site depends on the pro-sumer crowd.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you Mr Obvious, yes there are a handful of pros here, but the marketing and business model of this site depends on the pro-sumer crowd.
You seem confident on how the SB sounds. Out of curiosity have you run signal through it?

Regarding the SB, it's a pro unit. I'm sure the developers feel that it is.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You seem confident on how the SB sounds. Out of curiosity have you run signal through it?
I don’t recall commenting on how it sounds.

Quote:
Regarding the SB, it's a pro unit. I'm sure the developers feel that it is.
I’m sure they do, as is all that gear Michael Brauer is selling on the Alto site.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don’t recall commenting on how it sounds.
I took this as a general inference...

Quote:
A sound created in untreated, comb - filtered nests of nulled bass response and poor imaging driven by an overall lack of experience outweighed by unbridled enthusiasm - just read any ten posts and enjoy the lexicon of meaningless superlatives.

Quote:
I’m sure they do, as is all that gear Michael Brauer is selling on the Alto site.
I'm jumping for joy that Mr Brauer didn't jump off a bridge, considering you know the lemmings that comprise the analog camp.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I took this as a general inference....
The “inference” was room, monitoring, experience and technique trumps gear, in or out of the box every day of the week. More or less in that order.

Spend money and time on those basics, then “upgrade” if you feel the need - too many do it in the reverse order.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
The “inference” was room, monitoring, experience and technique trumps gear, in or out of the box every day of the week. More or less in that order.

Spend money and time on those basics, then “upgrade” if you feel the need - too many do it in the reverse order.
My bad...I realized that after I wrote it.

In regards to the other point, I'd say there's exponentially more marketing on digital stuff, if publications like Electronic Musician, Future Music, Music Radar, Computer Music , etc are any indication.

Shiit's being pushed on both sides of the aisle, and there are prudent and imprudent consumers regardless of whether analog or digital. Making wise judicious decisions can be had on either side.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
- mix the same thing twice using different paths and spend the same time on both - just sit with the material for that long ITB even if the actual mixing doesn't take as long due to practical simplicity.
I doubt that would work either because everyone's inbuilt cognitive biases come into play unconsciously.

Studies have shown that if someone strongly believes a tool is more efficient, or produces a better result, that person will turn out marginally more efficient or higher quality work because of that belief, even if they have been lied to about the tool and it is, in fact no different from the one they normally use.

Then add in the fact the people eventually choose gear for the result they get with it, rather than any inherent qualities, and a person working with their preferred equipment will almost always get better results. If that equipment happens to be analog, that person's analog mixes sound better, and vice versa.

In our court system, about half the chambers used to use MS Word and the other half used Wordperfect. Every time the question of unifying this came up, each group insisted that they got better results using their chosen wordprocessor. And they were both right. But this says nothing about which tool was best

Stories inevitably surface in this type of thread about the poster doing an analog and ITB mix, and he analog one being so obviously superior that the difference was "night and day" and lay people always chose the analog mix over the ITB mix.

This is far more indicative that the poster is a poor ITB mixer than it is regarding the merits of the systems because the difference should not be that great.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

MS Word and Wordperfect. Great names for a Rap Duo!
BTW Dr. Sax is a very nice guy. Interesting how the other Sax guys here, are cool dudes also.
Like Progger/Birdlives/Henry Robinett (IIRC he plays Sax too).
Chris
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what analog gear have you used?
To whom is that question addressed?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
To whom is that question addressed?
Nat8008
Old 4th August 2020
otb
Here for the gear

I guess I need to study real hard and I'll be able to get this tricky ITB thing...

I just need to learn how to play music through a piece of virtual gear and hit record? Sit back and go "oh wow!" The mix is done man!
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

This is far more indicative that the poster is a poor ITB mixer than it is regarding the merits of the systems because the difference should not be that great.
The analog on the 2-bus phenomenon in many cases is a treatment on ITB mixes.

So, assuming you have something done ITB, then it's a matter of leaving it alone or running it through a box like the Silver Bullet that many are comparing under the rubric of the analog/digital debate. That so many are choosing to run their digital mixes through something analog shows there is discontentment in keeping it totally ITB.

Why did SSL release their Fusion? It's exactly what people are interested in. There's a "best of" of mix bus processors on this site.
Ten of the Best Analog Mix Bus Processors
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
I guess I need to study real hard and I'll be able to get this tricky ITB thing...

I just need to learn how to play music through a piece of virtual gear and hit record? Sit back and go "oh wow!" The mix is done man!
That explains why you itb mixes sound bad. . . . .
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

Who's to question that?
And... that's where the level of analysis you muster for these types of questions fall down. All you're doing Is making a very shallow guess - in effect, you're not thinking about it and instead just repeating what they might *say*, not giving reasons why.

Let's look at your this hot potato that is your question:

When I think about why I put butter on a jacket potato I have to admit I do it out of habit - that's what my parents did and so that is how jacket potatos have always tasted to me. Therefore when I *think* of a jacket potato, I expect to taste butter. That is generally the basis of why I do.

Now, I soon discovered that when they're overcooked in the right way (normally at my aunt and uncles house), they were much softer and sweeter. I sometimes then, as a kid, didn't bother with the butter, just some pepper.. it's a different taste and a nice change not to taste a lot of butter.

When I cook jacket potatos myself, I can't get them like my aunt does (I bet it's a combo of cooking so many at once so there's moisture in the over and a different variety of potato..) and half the time they're a bit dry. So butter is needed to soften them up.

I stopped having butter in the house for a long time and instead used different butter substitutes in baked potatos - some tasted distinctly worse, some just different to butter. But again, I put it on to soften the potato.. Homous can work too.

So, to sum up, I have butter because:

a) it's traditional both culturally and familially
b) it is how I have learned jacket potatos "should" taste through normalisation
c) it softens the potato
d) because of the above and my emotional state drawn from the comfort of doing what I know and which links me to my past, you could say that I like it.

Funny enough, all being perfect, I have it without - yet I still always put butter on.

So, when you ask someone and they reply "because I like it" I would not take that as being true on a deeper level. they just haven't ever really analysed themselves (and some people never have and don't want to).

A TED talk (actually it was a snippet of one on TED Radio Hour from NPR) discussed choices and decisions. One study was about choosing to become an organ donor when getting your driving licence. The reality was that whichever was the default on the form, 80% of people either left the box unticked to opt out, or unticked to opt in - depended in the wording. I.e they didn't really care and left it out. Knowing their choice was random, the researchers asked each person why they had chosen what they chose.. and each one invented a reasoned story around their "choice". Because that's what humans do..

Given *arbitrary* choice, humans will convince themselves that there was reasoning behind their random behaviour..

Anyway, I hear you want me to list all analogue gear I've ever used in my life? Whats the weird point you're trying to make and why should I play along with it? That's a lot of effort for no gain.
Old 5th August 2020
otb
Here for the gear

Quote:
That explains why you itb mixes sound bad. . . . .
So which is it?

A. I need to think what I do in Analog and do that ITB because its the same.

B. I need to learn how to mix ITB because its different
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Why did SSL release their Fusion? It's exactly what people are interested in. There's a "best of" of mix bus processors on this site.
Ten of the Best Analog Mix Bus Processors

One possibility for the SSL thing is that their market research (reading forums) told them something going along with this analogue trend thing will sell very well.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
And... that's where the level of analysis you muster for these types of questions fall down. All you're doing Is making a very shallow guess - in effect, you're not thinking about it and instead just repeating what they might *say*, not giving reasons why.

Let's look at your this hot potato that is your question:

When I think about why I put butter on a jacket potato I have to admit I do it out of habit - that's what my parents did and so that is how jacket potatos have always tasted to me. Therefore when I *think* of a jacket potato, I expect to taste butter. That is generally the basis of why I do.

Now, I soon discovered that when they're overcooked in the right way (normally at my aunt and uncles house), they were much softer and sweeter. I sometimes then, as a kid, didn't bother with the butter, just some pepper.. it's a different taste and a nice change not to taste a lot of butter.

When I cook jacket potatos myself, I can't get them like my aunt does (I bet it's a combo of cooking so many at once so there's moisture in the over and a different variety of potato..) and half the time they're a bit dry. So butter is needed to soften them up.

I stopped having butter in the house for a long time and instead used different butter substitutes in baked potatos - some tasted distinctly worse, some just different to butter. But again, I put it on to soften the potato.. Homous can work too.

So, to sum up, I have butter because:

a) it's traditional both culturally and familially
b) it is how I have learned jacket potatos "should" taste through normalisation
c) it softens the potato
d) because of the above and my emotional state drawn from the comfort of doing what I know and which links me to my past, you could say that I like it.

Funny enough, all being perfect, I have it without - yet I still always put butter on.

So, when you ask someone and they reply "because I like it" I would not take that as being true on a deeper level. they just haven't ever really analysed themselves (and some people never have and don't want to).

A TED talk (actually it was a snippet of one on TED Radio Hour from NPR) discussed choices and decisions. One study was about choosing to become an organ donor when getting your driving licence. The reality was that whichever was the default on the form, 80% of people either left the box unticked to opt out, or unticked to opt in - depended in the wording. I.e they didn't really care and left it out. Knowing their choice was random, the researchers asked each person why they had chosen what they chose.. and each one invented a reasoned story around their "choice". Because that's what humans do..

Given *arbitrary* choice, humans will convince themselves that there was reasoning behind their random behaviour..

Anyway, I hear you want me to list all analogue gear I've ever used in my life? Whats the weird point you're trying to make and why should I play along with it? That's a lot of effort for no gain.
So, what analog gear have you used?

Not a hard question. Not a game...
Closed