The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does analog gear really sound "better", or is it just a learned response?
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 091a13b View Post
It's not a rodent, it's the other way around.
I confess I don’t know what a Vermeerkat is. Looks like a rodent though. I know a guy who knows a guy who would agree. hehheh
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

It look like Schrödinger's cat
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
I confess I don’t know what a Vermeerkat is. Looks like a rodent though. I know a guy who knows a guy who would agree. hehheh
It ain't no Rembranteater.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

This thread definitely has legs...
Chris
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
It ain't no Rembranteater.
I ate too much lunch, and now I have Degas

(Old schoolboy art class joke from 1973 or so)
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
rodent needs a cell phone.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

They prefer Sprint.
Chris
Old 7th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Interesting. I always thought it was the fiddle?
What’s the old saying “it’s a fiddle when you put the mic up close” lol
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear
Yes. When I finally got some outboard Pres and a compressor to track and reamp through, definitely did something software couldn’t. More pleasing to the ear and easier to mix.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by csstudios1 View Post
Yes. When I finally got some outboard Pres and a compressor to track and reamp through, definitely did something software couldn’t. More pleasing to the ear and easier to mix.
Try mixing with a different comp than you tracked through if you can. Mixing things through the same comp it was tracked through can take the life out of it. It’s similar to running it through 2 of the same comp during tracking. There’s very few situations where that may be warranted, like a “special effect” situation. UPDATE: I misread your post. You said “reamp” I thought you meant back into the same comp
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
What’s the old saying “it’s a fiddle when you put the mic up close” lol

Casually, the word fiddle is commonly used in classical circles, at least those I've been a part of, quite often. It's not at all uncommon to hear a conductor say something like, "Let me hear 1rst fiddles 4 measures after letter B", even though the fare might be Mozart. Or someone in the peanut gallery at The Conductor's Institute might offer up an enthusiastic "Play fiddle play!" though it's Mahler on the stand.

It's just another word for the instrument that maybe serves in a folkish and endearing way to lighten the mood, or maybe suits because it is one syllable less to utter when one is quite tired or very pressed for time.

Saying that someone is a fiddler, or that it's fiddle music does start to corner it a bit though.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler View Post

Casually, the word fiddle is commonly used in classical circles, at least those I've been a part of, quite often. It's not at all uncommon to hear a conductor say something like, "Let me hear 1rst fiddles 4 measures after letter B", even though the fare might be Mozart. Or someone in the peanut gallery at The Conductor's Institute might offer up an enthusiastic "Play fiddle play!" though it's Mahler on the stand.

It's just another word for the instrument that maybe serves in a folkish and endearing way to lighten the mood, or maybe suits because it is one syllable less to utter when one is quite tired or very pressed for time.

Saying that someone is a fiddler, or that it's fiddle music does start to corner it a bit though.
I am always one to shorten things up to the least amount of syllables possible lol. I always chalked it up to a mid-Atlantic fast talking thing lol Thanks for the brief history there, I thought “fiddle” would be slightly frowned upon in those circles. Plus fiddle rolls off the tounge nice.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

I don't play violin but I do fiddle a lot.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Only on the roof.
Chris
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Only on the roof.
Chris
Uncle Ernie fiddles about.

***pays homage to the Who loves the Who thread.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Moonie is my favorite Rock drummer.
Favorite all-rounder, is Hal Blaine.
Chris
Old 8th August 2019
Deleted 091a13b
In the beginning there was bitching about the banjo, then about the squeeze-box and now, finally (?) the fiddle.
Quarter inch jacks...
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadein View Post
In the beginning there was bitching about the banjo, then about the squeeze-box and now, finally (?) the fiddle.
Quarter inch jacks...
AHA, the old quarter-inch jacks sound a lot better than those new-fangled phono plugs. They're just too small and light to get a good tone.

The ones made before 1965 were best. They had nice heavy brass beneath the chrome plate, and were made by skilled craftsmen in the industrial Midwest. The modern ones are made of Chinese pot-metal, and sound almost as bad as a DIN plug!

Don't get me started on those tone-sucking 3.5mm monstrosities. Not a single good- sounding album has been made since those became prevalent.

Harrumph!

Get of my lawn, and take your crappy connectors with you.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
AHA, the old quarter-inch jacks sound a lot better than those new-fangled phono plugs. They're just too small and light to get a good tone.

The ones made before 1965 were best. They had nice heavy brass beneath the chrome plate, and were made by skilled craftsmen in the industrial Midwest. The modern ones are made of Chinese pot-metal, and sound almost as bad as a DIN plug!

Don't get me started on those tone-sucking 3.5mm monstrosities. Not a single good- sounding album has been made since those became prevalent.

Harrumph!

Get of my lawn, and take your crappy connectors with you.
What's all this about too much sax and violins?! Endangered Feces? Whaaat?!
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
What's all this about too much sax and violins?! !
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Really miss her and Gene...
Chris
Old 9th August 2019
mvb
Here for the gear
Thanks for that clip, 12tone. You made me smile. I used to love that show.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gears View Post
I've been wondering for awhile why most of us prefer the sound of analog gear generally speaking. Yes, I know digital has come a long way, however much of the progress has been to make it sound more analog!

I've considered whether there is something innate in human biology that makes us prefer analog, or perhaps it's just because that's what we've been used to for so long.

Consider film- it has always played at 24 frames per second. This is apparently because at 24FPS it allowed a minimal amount of film to be used without us perceiving it as stuttering (thanks to persistence of vision). However, some newer films are recorded at 60FPS or with lenses that allow for a greater depth of field. Many people perceive this as less "movie like" or harsh.

I've noticed young people, who've grown up in the world of digital, are way more tolerant of what plenty of musicians would find offensive. I've even seen some younger people prefer digital sounding tracks and describe them as more "clear" or "real" while I would probably label them "harsh" or "sterile".

Do you think as tech changes we will move away to a more digital sound and come to prefer it? Or is there something intrinsically pleasing about the "analog sound" that will always be appealing to people as a whole?

This is a question that can be answered in a few lines only, once and for all

Analog gear sounds DIFFERENT than digital. That's all it has to offer. After that, it's only a matter of personal taste and preferences.

You might ask about analog gear emulations, well I have an answer for that as well.

Take two original vintage 1176s for example. Even they don't sound exactly the same! Emulations are only accurate to a certain degree,
After that, again, it's just personal taste.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Gilda was so funny. That was one of my favorite bits.
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin?
Chris
I know a player who swears they are the same instrument
Old 9th August 2019
It simply boils down to what your ear is accustomed to.

I've been recording onto tape for over 40 years, and it is my medium of choice, primarily because I know how to work it. Tape has a predictable frequency response, and my ears are attuned to it. There are many adjectives used to describe the sound, which everyone is sorely familiar with ~ 'warm' and 'full' for instance.

To a lot of us guys who are used to that sound, digital recordings sound 'glassy' or 'brittle' ~ this of course, isn't true, it simply doesn't have that fat response that we are used to working with.

As long as I have a tape supplier, I'll use my machines - perhaps just because I like seeing the reels turn, but what works best for you is what sounds best.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 9th August 2019 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Magnetic media still rules. Lol
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
I know a player who swears they are the same instrument
I believe folks who are doing bluegrass may at times use different strings and bow types. I suspect some may have their fiddles built with extra bracing to accommodate higher tension strings.
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
I thought “fiddle” would be slightly frowned upon in those circles. Plus fiddle rolls off the tounge nice.
Not at all AFAIK. Most of us are maybe not as uptight as you might be inclined to think.

Well, GearFiddler seemed to have a ring to it, GearViolinist...not so much. I'm considerably more violinist than fiddler though.

BTW, your remark about it being a fiddle if the mic is up close might bear out.

Fiddlers tend to set their violins up for sweetness rather than power and projection. The sound post can be adjusted for that. The bridges are often flatter to facilitate string crossings and double stops. But that in turn means that increased bow pressure in order to play louder will often mean that more than one string is encountered, perhaps unintentionally. So they maybe tend not to play as loud. The steel strings they often prefer don't bark like some of the composites available now as well.

So, it might be fair to say that a fiddle is a violin that is set up for fiddling. But in practically every other regard the instruments are the same. ( Fiddlers seem to like to have ornate inlays and fancy scrolls as well. )
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler View Post
[...]

So, it might be fair to say that a fiddle is a violin that is set up for fiddling. But in practically every other regard the instruments are the same. ( Fiddlers seem to like to have ornate inlays and fancy scrolls as well. )
Goes with the Nudie suits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudie_Cohn
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I believe folks who are doing bluegrass may at times use different strings and bow types. I suspect some may have their fiddles built with extra bracing to accommodate higher tension strings.
Speaking of different bow types - Joe Venuti:

Closed