Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Does analog gear really sound "better", or is it just a learned response? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1216159-does-analog-gear-really-sound-quot-better-quot-just-learned-response.html)

vernier 2nd August 2019 11:54 PM

Each has it's advantages, I actually sometimes like digital for lead vocals.

robert82 3rd August 2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Lawson (Post 14129545)
Analogue including good magnetic tape sounds nicer although the digital is quieter and without wow or flutter.

"Nicer". What does that mean? Oh, right. You think the tape sounds "nicer" than a hard drive. That's cool. I mean, that's cool that YOU think it sounds nicer.

Sorry. I'm still confused. What does "nicer" mean?

robert82 3rd August 2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq (Post 14129567)
read it again
as many times as you need to

I am not objecting to someone else's taste. I said so in so many words.

But I am objecting to their attempt to justify their taste over mine by claiming their favorite has a "direct relationship to Reality" :lol: - which my taste apparently 'lacks'.

What. Are you saying that people shouldn't equate their personal taste with objective, observable, scientific (that evil word!) evidence??

Well, why didn't you say so before!

u87allen 3rd August 2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq (Post 14129463)
"offensive to reason" is an expression that means roughly: "against common sense".

He only added: "je ne sais quoi" after a long tirade of same old pseudo-science about 'reality' and 'continuousness'. He seemed very clear that he did know "quoi": The old 'reality is analog' canard.

I readily accept his contention that he prefers vinyl and I am not the least "offended" by that. However for him to claim that "reality" has blessed his taste is illogical. Analog and digital are both Media.

To say that this process:
sound>
microphone>
voltage in a wire>
magnetic record head>
iron oxide particles on mylar>
magnetic playback head>
voltage in a wire>
magnetic disk cutter>
grooves in acetate>
silver plating of lacquer>
electroplating with nickel>
mother>
stamper>
vinyl record>
needle>
electromagnet>
voltage in a wire>
amplifier>
electromagnet>
cone>
sound
somehow has a special philosophical claim, a corner on the market of "reality", :lol: is simply not logical.

You missed an amp or two along the way. But yeah, look at it this way, it suddenly doesn't seem so "organic".

theblue1 3rd August 2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert82 (Post 14129587)
What. Are you saying that people shouldn't equate their personal taste with objective, observable, scientific (that evil word!) evidence??

Well, why didn't you say so before!

At this point, it's kind of like an oldies review, with each act reprising its best tunes from earlier decades... I mean pages.

joeq 3rd August 2019 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u87allen (Post 14129615)
You missed an amp or two along the way. But yeah, look at it this way, it suddenly doesn't seem so "organic".

my first draft was in the form of a run-on sentence!

I am not sure how people could take my post and construe it as being "anti-vinyl", when all I am trying to do is rebut the claim that analog is not a medium, that it is magically "less removed" from reality than other encode/decode processes

chessparov2.0 3rd August 2019 05:51 AM

I'm just jealous, that I didn't get to make the 3000th post!
:heh: Chris

joeq 3rd August 2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 14129844)
I'm just jealous, that I didn't get to make the 3000th post!
:heh: Chris

go back in the thread and delete two of your earlier posts!

chessparov2.0 3rd August 2019 06:46 AM

:lol:

IGotWorms 3rd August 2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq (Post 14129860)
go back in the thread and delete two of your earlier posts!

https://media.giphy.com/media/sULKEgDMX8LcI/giphy.gif

Fay Smearing 3rd August 2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleted 091a13b (Post 14129498)
Lot's of things aren't. Shall we all die before time because somebody likes vinyl better? Some people like their fish rotten, so what? Can't they claim it's delicious now? Seriously?

They can like it that way just fine.

They just can't claim it's the same as when it's fresh.

clump 3rd August 2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 14129503)
I was responding this:



Perhaps more so than any other 20th century figures, Russolo and Cage made people question the notion of what music is. Much in the same way Marcel Duchamp did with art.

....And Pam Ayres with poetry.

The_Phoenix_2018 3rd August 2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderTow (Post 14129376)
All these little gems from 12tone ain't coming
from nowhere. ;)

Alistair

Still, neither he, nor anyone else, should criticize anyone elses preferences, or label them as "mistakes". As in, a "mistake" to prefer studio over live versions of songs and albums.

12tone 3rd August 2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Phoenix_2018 (Post 14130169)
Still, neither he, nor anyone else, should criticize anyone elses preferences, or label them as "mistakes". As in, a "mistake" to prefer studio over live versions of songs and albums.

OK, I apologize for saying it's a "mistake". I think "myopic" is more appropriate, and hopefully it'll result in less butthurt. The world could use less butthurt...

12tone 3rd August 2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clump (Post 14130069)
....And Pam Ayres with poetry.

...and Pam Grier with badassness.

newguy1 3rd August 2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 14130458)
OK, I apologize for saying it's a "mistake". I think "myopic" is more appropriate, and hopefully it'll result in less butthurt. The world could use less butthurt...

Where does calling out needless judgemental condescension fall on your butthurt scale?

You clearly have a preexisting issue of some kind that he triggered.

12tone 3rd August 2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy1 (Post 14130596)
Where does calling out needless judgemental condescension fall on your butthurt scale?

5/10
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy1 (Post 14130596)
You clearly have a preexisting issue of some kind that he triggered.

It's a trigger circle it seems...and I, like anyone else have preexisting issues, who doesn't?

newguy1 3rd August 2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 14130609)
5/10

It's a trigger circle it seems...and I, like anyone else have preexisting issues, who doesn't?

Yeah I’m triggered by people irrationally and needlessly ragging on other’s tastes, thus here we are. The triggered circle of life is in full play here :lol:

joeq 3rd August 2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fay Smearing (Post 14130006)
They can like it that way just fine.

They just can't claim it's the same as when it's fresh.

They also can't claim that "Reality is rotten", and therefore preferring rotten fish is how the Good Lord intended us to be.

12tone 3rd August 2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy1 (Post 14130618)
Yeah I’m triggered by people irrationally and needlessly ragging on other’s tastes, thus here we are. The triggered circle of life is in full play here :lol:

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who irrationally and needlessly rag on other’s tastes, and those with needless, irrational and incessant proclivity for liking only studio recordings....oh make that three, and the Dutch.

chessparov2.0 3rd August 2019 07:41 PM

You're in Dutch now, 12 Tone!:heh:
Chris

chessparov2.0 3rd August 2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq (Post 14129672)
my first draft was in the form of a run-on sentence!

I am not sure how people could take my post and construe it as being "anti-vinyl", when all I am trying to do is rebut the claim that analog is not a medium, that it is magically "less removed" from reality than other encode/decode processes

Thankfully, it wasn't a "dangling participle"...
You can get arrested for that!;)
Chris

The_Phoenix_2018 3rd August 2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy1 (Post 14130596)
Where does calling out needless judgemental condescension fall on your butthurt scale?

You clearly have a preexisting issue of some kind that he triggered.


He just can't stand anyone who doesn't have a liking for the same things he does. There's a name for such people, starting with 'A', in the same category as the word 'butthurt'. Seven letters long, not eight.

12tone 3rd August 2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Phoenix_2018 (Post 14130676)
He just can't stand anyone who doesn't have a liking for the same things he does. There's a name for such people, starting with 'A', in the same category as the word 'butthurt'. Seven letters long, not eight.

Do you lack gonads?

Ballbusting you know...AFAICT, you were butthurt, no? For whatever reason you brought it up again, so I responded. That's the chronology.

BTW, I'm pretty egalitarian as to other's tastes and preferences. Seriously.

clump 3rd August 2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Phoenix_2018 (Post 14130169)
Still, neither he, nor anyone else, should criticize anyone elses preferences, or label them as "mistakes". As in, a "mistake" to prefer studio over live versions of songs and albums.

But it is, I think, fair comment to point out that it is a mistake to label EVERY live recording as inferior to it's studio counterpart, based on the (relatively) limited amount that you have heard.

Your original post on this matter was, to say the least, a sweeping generalisation.

robert82 3rd August 2019 11:31 PM

How did this thread suddenly become the Burly Brawl from the Matrix?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mB7l9WTlSQ0/hqdefault.jpg

12tone 4th August 2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert82 (Post 14130968)
How did this thread suddenly become the Burly Brawl from the Matrix?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mB7l9WTlSQ0/hqdefault.jpg

I blame it on the Bossa Nova.

chessparov2.0 4th August 2019 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just recorded an informal acapella clip below,
maybe it applies a little to where we're at now.

It's an "off the cuff/one take" of a great Jimmy Cliff song.
Gotta admit it was recorded digitally. :)
Chris

norfolk martin 4th August 2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 14130675)
Thankfully, it wasn't a "dangling participle"...
You can get arrested for that!;)
Chris

Mine was torn off by a unguarded drive belt.

chessparov2.0 4th August 2019 01:17 AM

The proverbial torque in the road.
Chris