The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape machine owners how do you afford tape Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th May 2018
I sold off the analog tape recorders in 1993 after speaking to a 3M engineer. He told me 3M was getting out of the magnetic media biz. No more reel-to-real tapes, floppy discs, cassettes, video tape, everything. I was living off 996 tape at the time with Dolby SR.

I asked why and he said "hard drives". He was right. I got top dollar for those machines and never looked back.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I sold off the analog tape recorders in 1993 after speaking to a 3M engineer. He told me 3M was getting out of the magnetic media biz. No more reel-to-real tapes, floppy discs, cassettes, video tape, everything. I was living off 996 tape at the time with Dolby SR.

I asked why and he said "hard drives". He was right. I got top dollar for those machines and never looked back.
Seems nobody could foretell ATR and RMGI (now RTM) would be supplying the tape industry. But then again in 1993 the geeks and PC nerds were dictating the future. A future that had a few other ideas about audio. Hell it was even rumored that the guitar would go extinct because keyboard synths would be doing everything.
Old 5th June 2018
Old 5th June 2018
As a rule of thumb I let clients pay for tape with exceptions only being made for trial sessions where I'm a huge fan and they're either sceptical of the workflow of analog, massively broke or prefer mixing elsewhere on a DAW.

Another exception are people who did free session work for my own projects, for those I sometimes use my own stash.

Besides that for my own projects I always erase bad takes and researched quite a lot on which tapes rarely or never develop SSS and scavenge second hand or NOS tape. Sometimes do this for clients too if they promise to jump on any good deals I find for then.

Feel a bit guilty towards RTM/Pyral for doing this, especially since their recent badges of SM911 have been very good.
When clients are not too strapped financially I recommend them buying fresh tape.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

I don't. I gave my 16 track away. :-)
Old 5th June 2018
For a guy raised in the digital era I got a question. How many times can you reuse tape before it starts loosing it's sonic quality's I guess transient response and treble goes first?
Old 5th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
For a guy raised in the digital era I got a question. How many times can you reuse tape before it starts loosing it's sonic quality's I guess transient response and treble goes first?
Depends on how well the machine handles tape and how good the slitting on the tape is. I do all analog projects most of the time where the tape gets literally gets played hundreds of times before the mix is done and only had problems with tapes that was already well used when I bought them and had poor slitting (456) and the rare bad badge of fresh tape. With the latter the issues was obvious before I put many hours.

If you only do tracking on tape and then digitize your tracks you should be good for 10 to 40 projects depending on how long the tracking takes and how well set up the transport.
I'm sure degradation are measurable before that but hardly audible to anyone but the finest sets of ears with the fanciest monitors and an incredible clean chain. For most real life applications you're unlikely to ever notice.

Always replace bendy reels quickly before edge damage occurs.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum29465 View Post
Do you all ever re-use tape?
Yep, I like old tape.
Old 5th June 2018
Not me, I hate hearing bias residues. A complete demag made the tapes quieter. That was in another century though.
Old 11th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Not me, I hate hearing bias residues. A complete demag made the tapes quieter. That was in another century though.
How do you hear those? And you notice these on reused tape?

In a bit similar vein I've heard claims that it's not as urgent to delay two head machines if you put them in record frequently? Is this just another myth?
Asking cause my G16 are rather close to both the console, my B77 and a bunch of tapes so taking it to a place where dragging is safe is a pain.

Havnt noticed any self erasure issues to speak of and those I did notice might just as well come because I stack up bounced tracks like crazy, hence recording a song often takes a long time. Then comes mixing time and I sometimes get to mixdown 30 before I'm happy.
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

i started buying tons of tape the moment people started selling off their tape machines (so mostly in the nineties). i even bought machines that came with lots of reels...

by now, there's not much tape left - yet i only record to tape if clients pay for it and can also adopt to the work flow. and i use tape for recording only!

studer a800/no dolby/mostly ampex

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search