The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio LYD 48's with sub? Studio Monitors
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict

Dynaudio LYD 48's with sub?

HI guys,

i'm getting a pair of the Dynaudio LYD 48 studio monitors. Upgrading from the dynaudio BM5A monitors I got back in 2010. I have been using the Dynaudio BM9s subwoofer with my BM5A's.

Now that I'm getting the LYD 48's I was wondering if it will be a good idea to keep my sub and use it along with the LYDs? Some say you dont need the sub but being able to feel those sub frequencies really helps my mixes.

but if anybody here has experience with them please let me know what you're thoughts are.

Much appreciated!!
Old 27th July 2018
Here for the gear

Hi! What were your findings on
this? I'm considering a pair of lyd48 but I can't afford sub without selling other gear. So if the sub is important, I'd rather look I to a pair of bm5a mkiii with 9s sub.

I used to have dynaudio bm15a, but downgraded to monkey banana 6 turbo with according sub. Sub were add but in total I never got comfortable with them. So therefor I'm going back to dynaudio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
HI guys,

i'm getting a pair of the Dynaudio LYD 48 studio monitors. Upgrading from the dynaudio BM5A monitors I got back in 2010. I have been using the Dynaudio BM9s subwoofer with my BM5A's.

Now that I'm getting the LYD 48's I was wondering if it will be a good idea to keep my sub and use it along with the LYDs? Some say you dont need the sub but being able to feel those sub frequencies really helps my mixes.

but if anybody here has experience with them please let me know what you're thoughts are.

Much appreciated!!
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Nut

I have had a pair of LYD48 for a few months now. I also have a sub, but honestly, I almost never turn on the sub except to do a last second check to make sure I don't have a lot of stuff under 60hz messing up the mix. I could easily mix without the sub, and that's exactly what I do. It gets turned on for only a few minutes at the end of mixes.

The LYD48 is a very nice monitor and it's priced well. I have enjoyed mixing on it. I also have a pair of Air6 monitors and D5. I stay on the LYD48 almost entirely at this point.

So... I would not bother buying a sub unless you were doing EDM.
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Nut

Before the new 18S came along, I would say you could get by without a sub, but after the 18S the game has changed.

The 18S with its presets for the crossover and slope designed for the 48 really makes perfect integration and the time alignment features makes for an extremely tight image.

So what’s the result? The 48’s become significantly better speakers because they need to be set at the +10Hz bass extension setting for the sub integration which takes away the low end load of the speaker. This allows the speaker to breathe a great deal more and its performance in the low mid and mid range increases greatly in my opinion, plus it can play much louder if needed.

And of course the 18S takes the bass response all the way down to 16Hz. I would strongly suggest trying it out. To me the 48+18S is the best 4-way full range system I’ve heard in this price range and at such a compact size.
Old 28th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
Before the new 18S came along, I would say you could get by without a sub, but after the 18S the game has changed.

The 18S with its presets for the crossover and slope designed for the 48 really makes perfect integration and the time alignment features makes for an extremely tight image.

So what’s the result? The 48’s become significantly better speakers because they need to be set at the +10Hz bass extension setting for the sub integration which takes away the low end load of the speaker. This allows the speaker to breathe a great deal more and its performance in the low mid and mid range increases greatly in my opinion, plus it can play much louder if needed.

And of course the 18S takes the bass response all the way down to 16Hz. I would strongly suggest trying it out. To me the 48+18S is the best 4-way full range system I’ve heard in this price range and at such a compact size.
yea i was told if you leave the bass extension alone the monitor does not have to work as hard. I have my BM9s hooked up with my LYD 48's and they sound AMAZING now since they are finally broken in. I love it lol

I really hear the Mids like never before
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search