The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unreasonable SPL limits
Old 23rd October 2002
One with big hooves

Unreasonable SPL limits

Maybe I'm just a little ticked right now... I don't know. I do some live sound in addition to the studio thing. Mostly just walk-ins, If I need to bring anything beyond mics and stands it's too much and I pass it on to a friend that has a few rigs.

This one place I do a lot of work at is a well-known roadhouse that has seen lots of blues, funk, some jazz and lots of jam bands in the 30 or 40 years it's been there, the PA is almost that old too. Anyway the other night the band liason/bartender tells me the club has an SPL limit of 94dB C-weighted which she measures with a Rat Shack meter about 35 feet from the stacks. Well, I'm all for not making people deaf but 94dB is a pretty damn limiting and I've run into problems the last two times I worked there.

The first time I was setting up mics when the drummer started to warm up. I asked the bartender (lets call her Rita) to measure the SPL before I turned a mic on and we were hitting 100-102 without the PA, bass or guitars. Needless to say it was vocals and acoustic guitar only for the night and the mix was weird. Very thin because the room is bright but add some low end from the bass to fill it out and it's fine and actually sounds quite good. The second time was a blues band and the bass player had an 8x10 with a Music Man head, the guitar player had a 4x10 Bassman re-issue and there was a keyboard player with a Hammond/Leslie 122 and a Clav through some kind of tube 2x10" I think another Music Man. They were hitting about 105-108dBSPL before I unmuted the vocal mics which is 11 to 14dB over the club (not township) imposed limit so my hands were tied again.

Now, I like working at this place because the moneys good, the music is good, they feed me and it's 20 minutes from my house. But, I can't deal with that SPL limit. If I could work within it I'd be happy but there's no room for anything besides vocals. AGH!!! I'm about to give up on this place.
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Addict

My heart goes out to you.

I worked a few years at a club with a 110 C weighted slow limit. This was the result of an unruly show that had apparently caused an enormous mirror in the adjoining residence to vibrate off the wall, on to the floor, and into lots of little pieces.

I got sick of trying to get bands to manage their stage volume just to be able to eek a little bit of vocal into the PA. Lotsa times, the drums alone (not going through the PA mid you) were already peaking out at 105 dB. Try getting a band like Eyehategod to turn down!? It's like asking them to please play a set of Hootie and the Suck... I mean BLOWfish covers.

Unless you're hurtin for the cash, I'd say **** it. I did and I'm happier for it. Too much hassle, not enough compen$ation.

- jon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search