The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time for a new vocal mic! Condenser Microphones
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut

No experience with the various 251 style mics?

Looking at Lawson, Beesneez, Peluso, Pearlman... the Bock would really be pushing the budget, but if anybody has shot out these mics is love to hear them.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
No experience with the various 251 style mics?

Looking at Lawson, Beesneez, Peluso, Pearlman... the Bock would really be pushing the budget, but if anybody has shot out these mics is love to hear them.
If Bock is a budget stretch, look at Soundelux USA. Same designer, builder, philosophy, quality but using imported parts to cut down cost. Currently a bargain here in Europe due to a dealer driving prices down earlier this year forcing the others to price-match. Good mics.
Old 17th July 2018
Haven't used any Bock microphones but I heard from a few friends that they are good. Like daaudio said, the m149 is an impressive microphone if you decide to save up a little.

The AK47 is a very good mic but might be similar to your um17r. The Ar51 will definitely give you a different flavor, that would be my choice.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Bock IMO is right up there with Neumann. David Bock, like Manley/Josephson/Dooley/Wade (REDD) et al, is a true "Master" microphone maker also.

Chris
Old 23rd July 2018
MIC MANIAC

Surprises me more folks haven't mentioned Chuck Ainlay's favorite ADK Z-251 . . .
Old 30th July 2018
Here for the gear

I’d stay clear of Pearlman. He will rip you off..
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Has anyone any experience with the Luke Audio mic that comes with 3 capsules? Looks nice, all for $1000 seems like it couldnt possibly compete with the others on my list at that price point, especially when you consider it is distributed through retail channels. But, I’d love to hear otherwise.

Thanks
I received the Luke mic last week, and am still putting it through its paces. I've only tried it on my own vocals so far (male tenor). In the last few months, I've also tried the CV4, CU29 Copperhead, Blueberry, WA47, N22, N8, 414 XLII, Neumann tlm 49 and tlm67, and MXL Revelation.
For me the standouts have been the N22, Luke Audio y56, and Revelation.
I already own an R84, and because of that I didn't keep the N22. By the way, some people claim it's a bright mic, and that's only because they're not using it right. It's engineered for close mic'ing purposes, and if your not within a few inches it will start to sound thin and bright. But that's user error. It's an amazing mic! I found it to be the easiest mic I've ever worked with, and if I didn't already have the R84 it would have been a keeper for sure.
The Revelation is a surprise. I preferred it over every other condenser except the y56. It's actually a pretty balanced mic and very flattering in the high frequencies without a hint of sibilance issues (I actually struggled more with the CV4 and Copperhead on this issue).
The Luke Audio y56 is maybe my new favorite mic. Fidelity-wise, I find it better than any mic I've tried (maybe with the exception of the tlm67). The 3 different capsules are no joke, as you can easily hear the Sonic signature of each. It's a big sounding mic, and flattering in all the right ways as far as I'm concerned. No sibilance issues. No hashy sounding highs. Between it and the Revelation, I give the Luke mic the nod for its big, upfront sound and versatility of the 3 capsules. The Revelation is more bright and airy and not quite as forward sounding.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search