The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AML ezP1A 500
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

AML ezP1A 500

ezP1A-500 - Program Equaliser - API 500 series format
The ezP1A-500 is a passive filter with a classic Class A gain make-up stage which occupies two slots in a 500 series rack. Fully populated with 3 Carnhill transformers and Permalloy Inductor to achieve a distinctive classic sound. This high-end hand-built British module provides an affordable solution for the modern cost conscious studio.

· Classic Permalloy Inductor based filter.
· Class A Gain Make-up stage.
· Input, Interstage and Output transformers.
· All discrete component (no surface mount devices)
· Entirely hand assembled and tested in the England to exacting quality standards.
· Line Input: Carnhill transformer balanced (Mu-metal screened Classic VTB9046), 10k Input Impedance
· Interstage: Carnhill Mu-metal screened Classic VTB9046
· Line Output: Carnhill transformer balanced (Classic full size output transformer)
· Stainless steel chassis.

Hi, I was looking for some Pultec style eq (500 series possible) and this is a nice surprise from AML. If someone knows more about this eq, some video presentation how it sounds or if someone had a privilege to compare it to some other Pultec style eq's and is willing to share a few words that would be great. I don't see there are tubes in there like in AML rack units so I'm really curious how this 500 series sounds. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes.. I have heard it!

Colin was very generous with his time when Trev and I did our pultec shootout and bought this along w the MEQ variant.

Both sounded great and certainly had the passive sound that is so coveted. We didn’t do an extensive shootout like we did between the tube pulse and AML units but I’d certainly buy one given the price point and tone.

Sadly I’m in a GAS freeze atm after buying a house and paying for a wedding so no tasty AML treats for a while for me but I have my eye on a pair of comps and few of these 500 series units as well done other things that might be coming

Wiggy
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Yes.. I have heard it!

Colin was very generous with his time when Trev and I did our pultec shootout and bought this along w the MEQ variant.

Both sounded great and certainly had the passive sound that is so coveted. We didn’t do an extensive shootout like we did between the tube pulse and AML units but I’d certainly buy one given the price point and tone.

Sadly I’m in a GAS freeze atm after buying a house and paying for a wedding so no tasty AML treats for a while for me but I have my eye on a pair of comps and few of these 500 series units as well done other things that might be coming

Wiggy
I belive it can't be bad since it is AML and the price is good .. what's in there? It's 2 slot unit and Pulse eqp 500 is only one slot? Pulse 500 is based on Api 2520 op amp and said to be preferred by some engineers for certain applications, such as kick and bass.
I guess for treating the vocals tubes are something that's hard to avoid when talking about this kind of eq although I watched a video presentation of the Pulse 500 series with Warren Huart in Vintage king and was impressed with the power of the Pultec 500 series and how much and in what Pultec's way it affects the material (unfortunately it was only drums affected as I remember)

What is the AML replacement for Api 2520 op amp and what are the possible sound differences?

IGS audio was also interesting for me, they placed tube in their 500 series which is so kool although it is presented more as a mastering edition and in video presentation it doesn't sounded to me to have that weight and natural sound of the original Pultec unit although might be great too in some occasions.

It would be the best to see/hear some video comparison between 19rack(AML or original Pultec) unit with tubes and 500 series
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm really interested about this unit aswell. Any other users who have had their hands on it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search