The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home Studios. How much $$$$ did you invest in yours? Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Enough to pay off your student loans.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
If you build it they will come
Round here it's...If you build it they will (not) come
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Probably around 30k over 11 years. And it took about that to get to the point where I can release a commercial sounding mix. Wish I knew then what I know now though. Yeesh
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Did you put time and additional money into it or was it $600 and you never had to do anything else except turn it on and use it? Cause that makes a difference to me.
It made a difference to me. It's loading with great parts now. Those cost a lot less than new gear BTW.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Invest is a curious choice of words because I don't think of my personal studio space as an investment, exactly. It's somewhere in the space of food for my body, art for my mind, and music for my soul. It's definitely not intended for commercial use. Still, it's interesting to contemplate. Should I count purchases of gear that depreciated to the point where I tossed it (like a MIDI interface for an original 128k Mac?) Or gear that I donated to someone just getting started after I had moved on? Are we just talking original purchase price, or should I adjust for inflation? Or for appreciation or depreciation?

If I just count instruments that I own at this moment and focus on purchase price then the most valuable piece would definitely be my piano at around $45k, but we got a heck of a deal on a line that was just getting known and to buy the same model again would be over $90k. Plus it's right outside the room I use as a studio and it's intended for inspiration and exploration rather than recording. There's another $4k in guitars, $10k in keys, and a few thousand in outboard gear, $1.5k for monitors, etc. I've never really intended to do any acoustic recording so there's not much in the way of microphones, just a few hundred dollars worth. Enough to sample something now and then but you wouldn't want to record a vocal in my space with the gear I have, that's for sure.

Is my laptop part of the studio? It's pretty broadly multi-functional, so maybe sometimes?

The real question following last year's move is how much more do I intend to invest to improve the space? What kind of room treatment am I going to have to do to make monitoring for mixing purposes practical?

Yes, a very stream-of-consciousness answer but it's where I'm at so I thought I'd contribute.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Round here it's...If you build it they will (not) come
round here it's 'if you build it they will ask you how much you charge, say you are too expensive then record it themselves and wonder why it sounds like crap, henceforth eventually coming to you anyway and reluctantly paying'
Old 4 days ago
Probably spent $30k over the years, but a lot of that has been moved and recouped if not profited from...though some was utterly disposable(computer related items in particular).

Now I’ve built a lot of the gear and all of the acoustic treatment in my home studio is DIY. If I were starting from scratch with the most essential things, I think I could do it for ~$10k, but you could still get a great setup for even less.

Last edited by chinesewhiteman; 4 days ago at 11:48 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
How about the Upton 251 for (under) 4K?
You are right, this one sounds really good, but I am living in Europe now so it's hard to get, and even harder to try or compare.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Probably $20k-ish, off the cuff guess.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

An investment is something that makes money. I invest in my 401K and Roth IRA. My studio purchases, probably about $40K over my lifetime so far or about $10K in its current form is just an expensive hobby.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 View Post
An investment is something that makes money. I invest in my 401K and Roth IRA. My studio purchases, probably about $40K over my lifetime so far or about $10K in its current form is just an expensive hobby.
Since I'm the one who used the word "investment" and there have been a few posts about this before, I must clarify that I didn't mean investment in a pure economic way.

I consider all my gear an investment because it is something that has a return in many ways. Everytime you play a nice guitar you "invested in", there is some of that investment coming back to you in the form of value. And if we agree that time is money, then quality time is more expensive than **** time, so an investment in a good home studio has a valuable return in "quality time". This gear that we buy today is mostly going to outlast us, it will still work in 50 years (maybe with some little repairs), and that means that during all that time there will be some kind of return. Even after we die our daugthers or sons can use it to make music and get rich with it , or sell it and pay for their own hobbies, etc...

There is also the risk factor: Not that I want to buy any piece of gear thinking about selling it afterwards, but if the highest risk that I have when purchasing expensive gear is losing 20% of it's value, or even not losing anything at all, then that helps in the decision making process. An example of that: I bought a Space Echo pedal new for 150€ a few years back, it went up in price, and I sold it for around 210€ after a few years. It was mint (I take very very good care of all my stuff), I didn't plan to sell it when I bought it, but then I tested a Catalinbread Belle Epoch which I preffered, so that was it. Then for any purchase there is always this factor to take into account, because unless you always aim for the best, there is always a chance that you want to eventually UPGRADE.

But in the end, I was talking about investment in the most general posible sense, the same way buying good paint or pens is an investment in your future drawings, the same way paying for a good school is an investment on your kids so they grow up with higher self-confidence and creativity, or the same way eating proximity "eco" food without additives is an investment in your own health.

P.S. (like all investments, it can be good or bad, you can lose money selling gear you don't use , and you can die being over run by a car on the way to an organic food store... )
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
Since I'm the one who used the word "investment" and there have been a few posts about this before, I must clarify that I didn't mean investment in a pure economic way.

I consider all my gear an investment because it is something that has a return in many ways. Everytime you play a nice guitar you "invested in", there is some of that investment coming back to you in the form of value. And if we agree that time is money, then quality time is more expensive than **** time, so an investment in a good home studio has a valuable return in "quality time". This gear that we buy today is mostly going to outlast us, it will still work in 50 years (maybe with some little repairs), and that means that during all that time there will be some kind of return. Even after we die our daugthers or sons can use it to make music and get rich with it , or sell it and pay for their own hobbies, etc...

There is also the risk factor: Not that I want to buy any piece of gear thinking about selling it afterwards, but if the highest risk that I have when purchasing expensive gear is losing 20% of it's value, or even not losing anything at all, then that helps in the decision making process. An example of that: I bought a Space Echo pedal new for 150€ a few years back, it went up in price, and I sold it for around 210€ after a few years. It was mint (I take very very good care of all my stuff), I didn't plan to sell it when I bought it, but then I tested a Catalinbread Belle Epoch which I preffered, so that was it. Then for any purchase there is always this factor to take into account, because unless you always aim for the best, there is always a chance that you want to eventually UPGRADE.

But in the end, I was talking about investment in the most general posible sense, the same way buying good paint or pens is an investment in your future drawings, the same way paying for a good school is an investment on your kids so they grow up with higher self-confidence and creativity, or the same way eating proximity "eco" food without additives is an investment in your own health.

P.S. (like all investments, it can be good or bad, you can lose money selling gear you don't use , and you can die being over run by a car on the way to an organic food store... )

I knew what ya'll meant. I'm just poking fun and having a laugh at myself. I'm an amateur (albeit a somewhat serious one), but it's not my living and I do it for fun and hobby. Yes, I get plenty of 'return' that's non tangible (financially speaking) in the form of enjoyment and satisfaction which is... priceless. Fortunately, my day job allows me to afford nice hobbies and I'm thankful for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search