The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yanny vs Laurel Dynamics Processors (HW)
View Poll Results: Do You Hear Yanny, Laurel, or Both?
Yanny
6 Votes - 15.38%
Laurel
19 Votes - 48.72%
Both
14 Votes - 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yanny vs Laurel

I saw this article and played it through MacBook speakers, AirPods, and Barefoots. I can distinctly hear both Yanny & Laurel "intertwined" all the way through...

Actually an interesting test for mixing ears, or to just warm them up before a session imo.

What do you hear Yanny or Laurel or Both?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...ess/ar-AAxkDA6
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Your link doesn't have the clip. I heard Yanny when I listened from another link.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I hear Yanny. My wife hears Laurel. Maybe this is an extreme example but I think it helps show that peoples senses have variation from one another. Physiological and psychological differences can have a big effect on what people hear. Goes to show that for things like music and mixing, there isn't necessarily a right and wrong when different people perceive things differently.

Link to page that has the audio
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/15/1...und-perception
Old 4 days ago
I saw a video where someone pitched it up and down. When it was down pitched it was a definitive "Yanny" and as it was pitched up it was clearly "Laurel." I think as it is, it sits right in that break point in the middle
Old 4 days ago
fev
Here for the gear

Old 4 days ago
Yanni is digging the free publicity.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Yanni is digging the free publicity.
But Laurel can take it...he's Hardy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
I saw this article and played it through MacBook speakers, AirPods, and Barefoots. I can distinctly hear both Yanny & Laurel "intertwined" all the way through...

Actually an interesting test for mixing ears, or to just warm them up before a session imo.

What do you hear Yanny or Laurel or Both?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...ess/ar-AAxkDA6
I can hear a bit of "Yanny" but mostly "Laurel". Is the "Yanny" higher pitched?

Tony
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambony View Post
I can hear a bit of "Yanny" but mostly "Laurel". Is the "Yanny" higher pitched?

Tony
That would make sense and matches what I hear.

As said in OP, I can hear both. I agree with the fact the frequency breakpoint is right in the middle. With a bit of concentration you can clearly hear both, with Laurel being in the low range and Yanni being in the higher range. I'm wondering if every frequency gap is completely filled and it almost creates an indiscernible wall of sound, which attributes to the aural confusion.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

I am strongly considering the possibility that half of the internet is in on a prank all pretending they can hear "Yanny", just to mess with those of us who weren't at The Meeting.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The bitrate of the audio is so low, I wonder how much that has to do with it. I mean, the garbled mp3 artifacts are so audible.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I just like listening to this insane clip over and over again.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I just like listening to this insane clip over and over again.
u too?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Yanny , mad I cant hear Laurel
Old 2 days ago
Here's an NPR piece on it with an associate professor in neurobiology, physiology and behavior at the University of California, Davis weighing in on the possible causes of the gap in perception. (It appears that those with better high frequency hearing hear some distortion artifacts in the upper ranges that color their perception.)

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/16/61172...anny-or-laurel

They also say that they later found out that the source was an online dictionary pronunciation of... wait for it...
laurel.

So... you know, it's kind of a win-win. The kids who hear yanny get to know their hearing is apparently a little better up high than many -- and the rest of us get to know we're right.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

I was finally able to hear Yanny, but only after pitch shifting the sound down quite a bit. At that point, I no longer heard 'Laurel'. The thing where they just filtered out the lows did not do the trick for me.

there was a guy who put the sound into a DAW and ran it through some some scopes and analyzers, and and compared it to his own voice deliberately saying both 'Yanny' and 'Laurel' -

Laurel was clearly the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin
Im usually pree good at these but just can NOT hear yanny... so on a scale of 1 to drummer, does that mean my hi freqs are shot?

This one is even better in my opinion... if you think "brainstorm" it will say brainstorm. Think "green needle" and the toy says green needle... this ones killing me. I can pretty easily hear it both ways, including "brain needle" and "green storm."
this was much 'better' for me. I can hear it either way as long as I decide which one I am "going to" hear. No matter what I do, I cannot force myself to hear Yanny at the native pitch, even though I heard it clearly at the lower pitch.

On optical things like the spinning ballerina illusion, I usually have no problem "flipping" from one to the other.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I’m confident that the different interpretation of what is being said has nothing to do with hearing loss. Even under extreme bandpass filtering I can still switch between hearing both versions. As to what leads to the initial impression of what is being said - its probably more complicated and likely dealing with how ones ears are “primed”.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
They also say that they later found out that the source was an online dictionary pronunciation of... wait for it...
laurel.
The original is the entry for laurel on vocabulary.com.

They've since created this entry:
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/yanny
Old 2 days ago
Old 2 days ago
It's laurel on my ESS 9038 DAC and AMT tweeters. It's Yanni on my TV listening to a reporter listening to their crappy cell phone audio on a crappy news report.

it's a codec coding issue folks. The original recording is laurel according to the source. My cell phone sounds like Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. Phone technology has taken a 100 year reverse in audio quality. When I was a kid in the 1960's we would use Ma Bell's indestructible table phones to share new records with our friends. Yes, they were that clear back then, beautiful 300~3k hz audio response.

Now everyone sounds like they are calling from Mars.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

When I first heard this on the radio in my car, I heard Yanny clearly, not laurel.
But listening on headphones or on my Amphions I can clearly distinguish both, with laurel slightly more emphasized.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My cell phone sounds like Cylons from Battlestar Galactica.
Yes really!

A friend always calls me from her car, and with the slight mumbling, cheap mic and bluetooth hands free, no external aerial and patchy reception I can literally only make out half of what she says. Her partner is a pretty well known engineer, it must do his head in!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr103 View Post
The original is the entry for laurel on vocabulary.com.

They've since created this entry:
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/yanny
That's pretty interesting -- but it looks like there's some latency in the sound catching up with the slider control. On several occasions I clearly heard 'yanny' but then moved the slider farther TO the 'yanny' side and it changed to something I fairly clearly perceived as 'laurel.'

That said, I found the 'fulcrum' point of my perception (where I can hear both almost as though two sounds superimposed) and simply listening to that perceived 'combination' proved most instructive about what was going on.

Stranger still after listening for about a minute at that 'fulcrum' point, at one point over only just several iterations, my perception of the 'laurel' components almost completely faded. (I'm assuming some kind of listening fatigue. (Yet, when I moved it away and moved it back to the same position, I heard only 'laurel.' Maybe the player really IS messed up?)
For me this fulcrum point was about 1.25 lines to the right of center.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
It's laurel on my ESS 9038 DAC and AMT tweeters. It's Yanni on my TV listening to a reporter listening to their crappy cell phone audio on a crappy news report.

it's a codec coding issue folks. The original recording is laurel according to the source. My cell phone sounds like Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. Phone technology has taken a 100 year reverse in audio quality. When I was a kid in the 1960's we would use Ma Bell's indestructible table phones to share new records with our friends. Yes, they were that clear back then, beautiful 300~3k hz audio response.

Now everyone sounds like they are calling from Mars.
[bold added]

I'm so glad you added the frequency bound qualification.

POTS (plain old telephone service) phones working over analog lines didn't have much frequency range beyond that needed for voice communication (by design) but they also didn't have lossy data encoding/decoding, numerous time delays, or break up signal flow into packets that, in our digital era, occasionally get mumbled on the timeline.

They also didn't have 'background noise rejection' (except for that limited frequency response) that today ends up turning background noise into a jumbled sonic stew. (Like when whoever you're talking to walks into a noisy bar or restaurant.) This, for me, was one of the bitter ironies of the move to modern telecom. When I was a kid I'd spend a lot of time thinking about what music to have playing in the background when I'd call the special girl of the moment...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by who? View Post
I’m confident that the different interpretation of what is being said has nothing to do with hearing loss. Even under extreme bandpass filtering I can still switch between hearing both versions. As to what leads to the initial impression of what is being said - its probably more complicated and likely dealing with how ones ears are “primed”.
I found the "priming" worked beautifully for bowzin's link of the "brainstorm" and "green needle". I could literally tell myself in advance which one I wanted to hear, and there it was.

But I have a really hard time priming myself for "Yanny".

with the dancer, I need to close my eyes, pick a direction I want her to be spinning in, and then open them

Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

This whole Yanny vs Laurel thing, has made me think that - we all hear things so vastly different.

Very subjective, when listening to anything from monitors, plug ins, songs, albums...all of it.

What sounds good to you, might not sound good to me, and no one can make it sound amazing to everyone.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search