The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
reverb rack without mixer-How to patch? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

reverb rack without mixer-How to patch?

So I have a oldLexicon MPX 110 that I used to use with a sMackie Mixer. I got rid of the analog mixer and am trying to go all ITB but use external gear where needed and I want to use the Lexicon with a patch bay to add Reverb and or delay on my Analog Synths. I tried to run my OBXA staright into it and it didnt sound right.

Maybe because it needs a Line level input and the OBXA and most of my Analog synths are Instrument level outs. I also tried going into a DI then into the reverb unit with no good results?

Do I need to go into a preamp first then outta the pre into the Reverb? I tried this but Im not sure which is the right output off of the Preamp?

Would it be better to come into the DAW with the Synth>preamp and then use 2 of my Avid Outputs as a return send to the external reverb unit?
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Guru

If you use a daw send through you interface and then another intface input for the reverb return you can adjust the send level as necessary.
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

You should be able to go directly into the reverb unit from your synth.
Did you set the wet dry mix to taste or was it all wet on the output?

Denny
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchandler View Post
You should be able to go directly into the reverb unit from your synth.
Did you set the wet dry mix to taste or was it all wet on the output?

Denny
But would I come out of the reverb unit then into a preamp? The instruments signal to the reverb to the interface is not loud enough. Yes I did adjust the wet/dry.
Im running the synth into a tonebeast which has a insert but it must not be a insert as I think because it sounds terrible and distorted.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

i would never compromise my entire signal through the reverb's converters - setup a hardware insert in your DAW and put that on an FX track for SEND functionality.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Are most effects units looking for line level inputs? This unit says its looking for Instrument level so how would sending a line level out from my AD/DA converter work?
Attached Files
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

'instrument level' is rather unspecific, (often) meaning closer to 'line level' than to 'mic level', so going into the mpx from your d/a converter should be okay; lower the bus send or use a pad for proper level matching.

on the way back in, you'll need some gain as the outputs are pretty weak at +8dbu (or use the spdif if possible)
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search