The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ to go with 1073 DPA preamp and U87 for female vocalist?? Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Head
EQ to go with 1073 DPA preamp and U87 for female vocalist??

Hey so I'm considering replacing my LA-610 MKii... I know I must sound crazy. I bought this a nearly 2 years ago on ebay and have never been wowed by the results. It was 2nd hand and I'm really starting to question if there was something off about it and maybe thats why it was being sold (obz I wasn't told there was something wrong with it) - it works, and you can hear differences when you EQ and don't but its nothing amazing.

At first I thought maybe it's because my mixing skills aren't great (they have now improved) but then I got an engineer to help me out on it, he thinks it sounds great but I disagree. I find myself comparing my RAW vocal to other RAW vocals that are available online, obviously I can't expect the same kinda result because I'm not working in a professional studio with top engineers etc.

The main way I can describe my issue with how my vocal sounds is, imagine my vocal is a circle, it feels like it has holes in it and isnt full and thick enough, like its been stomped on a bit lol and isnt forward, its just kinda sitting back a little bit. I know it would be helpful to provide an audio sample, so I will attach that tomorrow.

But for now I will describe my voice. I am a female, my natural speaking voice is generally around F/G3. The range in octaves I record spans around C3-F6 sometimes wider depending on how rested/stretched I am. I have a slightly raspy voice and not a thin or thick voice, I guess in between. I like to sing in the lower register a little bit softly, chest voice belty but not hard hitting, a bit softer, and head voice/falsettos etc - (have never described my voice to this much detail before lol!). My sound is a bit soulful/Alternative RnB ish.

I was considering matching the Avalon 737sp with this. I know its also got a preamp, but everywhere I read, people are raving about its compression and EQ. I'm gonna try it out on rental before I sell and buy anything. And I have no complaints about my U87 and 1073 DPA.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm just at a loss coz I know my equipment is amazing but really think theres something off with the UAD - maybe tomorrow when I upload a sample you're all gonna tell me I'm deaf haha!

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Whenever I hear samples from UA pres, there is some kind of cloudy color in the mids that I don't really care for. It can probably be cool on some stuff, but probably not as the main/only pre. That said there may be voice/microphone combos that work extremely well with UA. And you may have found your in 1073/U87. Have you tried some AKG C12 related mic (ELAM 250, C414 with CK12)? That's often great on female vocals. On the other end of the spectrum coles 4038 with some high shelf boost sounds really nice and smooth in the same app.

So why are you considering 737 when 1073 works great on your vocal?
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Whenever I hear samples from UA pres, there is some kind of cloudy color in the mids that I don't really care for. It can probably be cool on some stuff, but probably not as the main/only pre. That said there may be voice/microphone combos that work extremely well with UA. And you may have found your in 1073/U87. Have you tried some AKG C12 related mic (ELAM 250, C414 with CK12)? That's often great on female vocals. On the other end of the spectrum coles 4038 with some high shelf boost sounds really nice and smooth in the same app.

So why are you considering 737 when 1073 works great on your vocal?

Hi thank you for your response! I will check out those options! I want an EQ with the 1073 DPA. It sounds great as a preamp, but everything is still not clean.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
I get that you are unhappy about SOMETHING about your recorded vocals. But as I read your post, I am less and less certain that you are on a sensible path to a better result.
Why do you rule out the U87 and 1073 DPA as possibly contributing to the problem? Great kit, but I wouldn’t automatically pick either piece for the voice you describe. I would suggest that you start with the mic. See if the 87 through different preamps and EQs ever gives you that sound you are seeking. And then try different mics through your 1073. Any magic there? You aren’t proceeding logically if you take two important elements of a chain and say (with what proof?) that I love these and I’m not swapping them.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

A Neumann U87 and a 1073 DPA are a good combination. I've gotten great results on female voice with this combo without any EQ. I would recommend EQing after the vocal is tracked rather than trying to track with EQ. I would also suggest that you listen to your vocal takes on a number of different playback systems before you give up on either this mic or pre. You might find your monitors or your room are giving you a false impression on what's really going on with your track.

I have an old U-87, a Neve 1073 DPA and a couple of Avalon 737's and I can tell you that the 737 is not really a quantum leap above the 1073. It's a little smoother in the midrange, the EQ is handy, but I personally wouldn't track with it and the compressor is just OK. I find the 1073 to give a bit more edge in the mids whereas the 737 can be a bit bland.

If you have the funds and want to get closer to the pro sound you hear in your head or in your samples and fill the holes in the circle, consider picking up either an La-2a or an 1176 (preferably the La-2a) to add to your current combo. It's all you'd really need to get great results.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Can't go wrong with LA2A or Tubetech CL1B.

I wouln't use eq for tracking with condenser mic either. It should really sit well in the mix without it and finetunig is better left to mixing. Neve pre with EQ or some pultec (style) would be my choice if I really wanted to fiddle with eq while tracking. I have also a good experience with siemens w295 on coles 4038, the high shelf seems to tilt the darkness out of the signal in just the right way for my ears.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Head
Hey guys thank you so much for all your replies!!

@ matucha after reading your comment in particular about why go for an EQ when the preamp is great, I was digging through some old rough mixes and tests I done and found one that I had done with the 1073 only and found that it actually sounded pretty great and that was only through a rough mix. I think it may just be that the LA610-MKii doesnt go well with my voice and that may be whats messing it up. So thank you for that! I’m gonna try again with the 1073 only and see how I feel. And also thanks for the later response too.

@ Bushman thank you as well! I didn’t fully consider that the mic may not be for me because the rep it has is that its suitable for almost anyone. I’m hoping that doing the above will solve my issue so I don’t have to start looking for another mic!

@ voodoo4u thank you! Great insight and suggestions too. Hopefully wont need to spend any more money so I’ll try neve only and EQ after. Just a quick question though, the 1073 is a pre, but based on what you’re saying about its midrange, does it have some integrated EQ in it already? Sorry I’m not 100% knowledgable about this stuff.

Glad I sought everyones advice, you’ve been really helpful, truly appreciated.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by susus123 View Post
Just a quick question though, the 1073 is a pre, but based on what you’re saying about its midrange, does it have some integrated EQ in it already? Sorry I’m not 100% knowledgable about this stuff.
Some versions and/or clones of the Neve 1073 have a variable high pass filter, and some with an “X” or additional title designations combine the classic preamp with an EQ, but the basic 1073, which I think you have, does not have any filters or EQ. Most preamps, including the 1073, are reasonably flat, and do not add intentional EQ.
That said, a lot of comments about the 1073 use terms that make you think of EQ. “Fat, warm, thick in the midrange, mellow” are sometimes used to describe the 1073, but those are listener perceptions of the sound of the 1073, and are not descriptive of an EQ curve. They may refer to some distortion or other element added by transformers, or to the transient response, or some peculiarity of the circuitry when driven beyond the designer-intended levels.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

This is a nice current shootout of different mics/pres. There is AMS 1073 and UA, but not U87. Perhaps it's going to be interesting to you to hear what different pres and mics do and maybe something catches your ear as a direction you could try next.

REDD vs. NEVE preamps
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search