The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eq Pair for mix bus Equalisers (HW)
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasilentway View Post
I’ve been lucky enough to work in some studios that had both and directly compared them, they are two completely different flavors of wonderful and extremely colorful but the Chandler did it slightly more for me.

to use silly audio terms, the Manley has heft and depth and a silky top end, and a definite “big tube” vibe. Emotional resonance of a Pultec, without being stuck with a hyper limited frequency selection. The sound isn’t for everything, some things feel cloudier through that one. But when it’s right it makes things feel “expensive”.

Whereas the Chandler is way punchier, more in the vein of API or Neve EQs but totally its own thing. It felt very fast to use and get results, I generally had the sound I was looking for in a couple of two-handed knob movements (like an API, often the first or second click in either direction was PERFECT). add a click or two of lo and hi shelves, cut a click of low mid mud and hi mid harsh, and it sounds totally done. Great for tracking drums guitars and vocals too.

If I could afford one of my own I would in a heartbeat!! after that comparison I got the UAD Chandler and it sits on the 2bus of every mix I do now.

Another one I enjoyed a lot was the Great River EQ-NV2. Had a similar vibe to the Chandler but slightly less colored.
Wish I could gather some funds for the CHANDLER!!!
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by inasilentway View Post
I’ve been lucky enough to work in some studios that had both and directly compared them, they are two completely different flavors of wonderful and extremely colorful but the Chandler did it slightly more for me.

to use silly audio terms, the Manley has heft and depth and a silky top end, and a definite “big tube” vibe. Emotional resonance of a Pultec, without being stuck with a hyper limited frequency selection. The sound isn’t for everything, some things feel cloudier through that one. But when it’s right it makes things feel “expensive”.

Whereas the Chandler is way punchier, more in the vein of API or Neve EQs but totally its own thing. It felt very fast to use and get results, I generally had the sound I was looking for in a couple of two-handed knob movements (like an API, often the first or second click in either direction was PERFECT). add a click or two of lo and hi shelves, cut a click of low mid mud and hi mid harsh, and it sounds totally done. Great for tracking drums guitars and vocals too.

If I could afford one of my own I would in a heartbeat!! after that comparison I got the UAD Chandler and it sits on the 2bus of every mix I do now.

Another one I enjoyed a lot was the Great River EQ-NV2. Had a similar vibe to the Chandler but slightly less colored.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply it’s much appreciated!

I’ve had a number of EQs here for testing and in the end I settled on the curvebender too
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcefor View Post
Yes thinking about an A Designs EMEQ2
Quote:
Yes thinking about an A Designs EMEQ2
I use a pair of these as part of a 2 buss chain with a Smart CL1a and absolutely love them! A little 60hz boost/cut curve and a touch of broad 12k sheen...just perfect. Thinking about trying the Pulte 500x for the additional eq points, but the empeqs are really special imo
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wish I could gather some funds for the CHANDLER!!!
Check out our TG12345 MKIV EQ for 500 Series, a pair of those and you got a Curve Bender program EQ for your mix bus; same magic.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Addict
Yup getting these..decided!!!
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup getting these..decided!!!
Nice! You can really boost these, they never get harsh.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

I think the OP is sorted, but i have good results with a pair of RND 551s
Old 23rd May 2018
Hammer eq.

I thought it was pretty boring until i started boosting the highend. Wow expensive and sparkling like nothing I've used before. It's definitely very clean for a pultec style eq. Demo it!
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Addict
I know its a different design but how would you guys compare the A designs EMEQ2 to the pair of chandler 12345 MKIV? Thanks!
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I know its a different design but how would you guys compare the A designs EMEQ2 to the pair of chandler 12345 MKIV? Thanks!
I’d be very happy to do that comparison if someone fronts the units in question. It will probably take a minimum of six month to fairly compare such devices (or for everyone to forget I have them).

There are probably a few on GS who have had these units at the same time in their own room to fairly compare them A/B on the same material. Anyone else is just a voice in the wind (some are very credentialed and knowledgeable voices, but they are making educated guesses if they haven’t done some serious side-by-side comparisons).
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm sure the Chandlers rock (a everything Wade does is fab). That said, I'm not sure those are the frequency points I'd want as a mix buss pair. Maybe it's me, but I'd want a little more too end flavor. YMMV.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
I'm sure the Chandlers rock (a everything Wade does is fab). That said, I'm not sure those are the frequency points I'd want as a mix buss pair. Maybe it's me, but I'd want a little more too end flavor. YMMV.
Yes you are probably right which is why I have decided to go with the A Designs EMEQ2. The chandlers will have to wait!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search