The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Eventide Eclipse knob wiggling a little.. normal?
Old 24th April 2018
Here for the gear

Eventide Eclipse knob wiggling a little.. normal?

Gents,

I just acquired an Eventide Eclipse, used and in good shape, from the original owner.

The rotary knob has a little wiggle. A little over 1/64" front-to-back and maybe a little more when tilting it off axis.

It turns freely and remains centered as it turns. So I removed the two 1/16 allen screws to check the encoder shaft. It has a little play, which translates to the wiggling in the knob.

So my questions to fellow Eclipse owners: is this normal and/or like that from the factory? Or maybe it's due to wear, over time?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Mine does it as well, always has from new so I wouldn't worry.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quite normal. My Eclipse also does that from new....
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

Yep. Same here.

Brand spanking new!!! Just opened the box and the first thing I did was twirl the knob and noticed it has approx. 1mm play up and down and sideways. I wouldn't like to think it was "normal".

It still seems to operate fine, but it doesn't exactly make me happy either. It was packed perfectly so there is no way it happened during shipping and it certainly didn't happen here. I guess I should contact Eventide to report the issue.

Last edited by stixstudios; 2nd June 2019 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Additional info.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

I think it is a waste of time trying to contact Eventide about this matter.
They are aware of this knob problem already from the very first release of the Eclipse and did not bother to solve the problem as from that time.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks SP2016.

Anyway, I did report the issue to Eventide, mainly in case it gets worse and something bad happens.

I also came across this on the Eventide forum:
Quote:
There are two Allen screws that clamp the knob to the shaft.
They can be adjusted to improve the knob's centering (by trial and error).
If this doesn't work, it would suggest that the unit has been dropped and damaged the control.
https://www.eventideaudio.com/commun...t/eclipse-knob

If I had purchased this from a shop-front here in Aus, I would definitely take it straight back and demand a replacement unit.

I'll wait and see if I get a reply back from Eventide. If it's just a simple matter of tightening the Allen screws, then I guess it's fine. If not, then I'll always be wondering if it's going to do damage over time to the point where it fails??

Anyway, I'm wondering when someone is going to chime in with:
This sort of thing wouldn't happen with plugins!!!

Cheers.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Your knob problem is the same as with all other Eclipses.
And has nothing to do with dropping or other damage.
The front to back wiggle can be fixed by putting an small felt ring around the encoder shaft.
The off-axis problem with that ECLPISE knob is that the diameter of the knob hole is slightly larger than the diameter of the encoder shaft (or the shaft of the encoder is slightly smaller than the hole of the knob...).
Tightening of the Allen screws is not THE solution of the problem.
You may try to "thicken" the encoder shaft with a thin copper sheet.

You can save the trouble asking for a replacement unit: All Eclipses have this problem.
Asking Eventide also is a waste of time.
And on the longer term the Eclipse will not be damaged with this sloppy knob.
It only is quite uncomfortable and gives an unprofessional feeling when turning the knob.

And finally about plug-ins: If you have worked with the hardware you will never use the plug-in.....

Last edited by SP2016; 2nd June 2019 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict

Great words SP2016.
I feel a LOT better now.

At the moment, I'll leave it as is. In the future I'll try a shim around the encoder shaft as suggested.

Meanwhile I'll just enjoy listening to it
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

An update to this issue.

Well, after about a week or so of testing, I don't like the "wobbly knob"!!!!... It puts me off in creating my music. It makes me feel a lack of confidence when using the Eclipse. Not happy.

Not good, especially when it cost me around $3000AU.

Regardless of the nice effects, I've NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER come across such a situation where the "MAIN" control knob "feels" so bad!!!. A result of poor manufacturing processes or quality control issues??? dunno. Advice welcome.

From my simplistic initial evaluations, It IS NOT an issue with the shaft being smaller than the hole on the knob (as eluded to). The looseness is between the shaft and the outer thread ring.

I"M NOT HAPPY!! with the build quality of the Eclipse.

When I spend $3000AU, which is the most I've EVER spent on an effects unit, and with a "TOP NOTCH" company like Eventide... well... I expect the best. Maybe not the best, but you know, pretty bl**dy close to it.

I'll be contacting my distributor (in AUS) for a refund - or a replacement unit.!!!! I don't ACCEPT that the wobbly knob is just "the way it is". If that is the "WAY IT IS" with the wobbly knob, then I'm certainly not on that path.

Wobbly knobs indeed!!... what a disgrace!!!!!

Eventide SHOULD have done a recall and fixed the problem (years ago) - because there is one.

And I'll "give you the mail". You know what? I don't give a "flying f*ck" if I'm putting down on Eventide - I don't like the feeling that I'm being screwed!! Ya know?

Cheers Steve.

Last edited by stixstudios; 8th June 2019 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Clarity.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Wobbly knobs indeed!!... what a disgrace!!!!!
Eventide SHOULD have done a recall and fixed the problem (years ago) - because there is one.
I fully agree.
But Eventide did'nt.....
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

And I'll be sending the unit back to my distributor.

A refund will be due
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

Sad days

Last edited by stixstudios; 8th June 2019 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Crying
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

I understand that you will return the Eclipse.
But you will miss the great sounds now.......
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

I don't think I've said that I will get rid of the Eclipse. I'm hoping for a replacement without the wobbly knob.

What I want is what I have paid for. A decent piece of gear without a wobbly knob. I think what I ask for, is reasonable.

And NO. I will not miss the sounds. I've got a DSP4000 and it sounds pretty good to me and the "alpha" wheel on the 4000 is absolutely much much better than the eclipse.

I thought that the Eclipse would deliver something better. But, NOooo. Not for me it hasn't. Not because of "sound quality", but simply I have no confidence in the device because of the "dicky" wheel. Mull it over a bit, and you will understand where I'm coming from.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Wow!
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

I have come to accept my wobbly knob (from new) as a form of analog modulation with the unit.. wasn't gruntled at first but i dont even notice it now.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Addict

Well, I don't and will not accept the wobbly knob. It doesn't make a good experience - in a tactile sense, and also leaves me with wondering "what might happen next???"

That unresolved question, is THE BIG ONE for me and I should not have to worry. Nevertheless, others may have differing views.

I expected better. My Bad.

You know, I'd rather Eventide admitted that the "wobbly knob" issue exists with the Eclipse, and at least make some sort of half-arsed explanation for the obvious failure than just trying to ignore it or put the blame onto the user. Very bad form.

Yeah, ok, it's an old unit with flaws. BUT!!! Don't sell it for that price in 2019 if it is not right!!

Maybe I'm just one of those pernicketty annoying people that doesn't like wobbly knobs on outboard gear when I spend 3 grand. My bad again.

Peace be to all but it's a hard one for me to get over.

Last edited by stixstudios; 9th June 2019 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: further relevant info.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

An update.

I'm still looking into the issue - it's a long process.

One thing that I would like to ask, or perhaps I should start a new thread?

Anyway, apart from those who have experienced the wobbly knob, there is perhaps a more pressing and important question...

Are there any Elcipse owners out there that DON'T have the "wobbly knob" experience?

Be Brave, Do tell.

Last edited by stixstudios; 14th June 2019 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Fluffy bits
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Are there any Elcipse owners out there that DON'T have the "wobbly knob" experience?
I very much doubt that .....
All Eclipse's I have seen and touched (some 20 units) had the "wobbly" knob in new Eclipse's supplied by Eventide.
And I still try the Eclipse knob when visiting a studio with an Eclipse.
So far all Eclipse's had "wobbly" knobs.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
I very much doubt that .....
All Eclipse's I have seen and touched (some 20 units) had the "wobbly" knob in new Eclipse's supplied by Eventide.
And I still try the Eclipse knob when visiting a studio with an Eclipse.
So far all Eclipse's had "wobbly" knobs.
Thanks SP2016.

Ok, so you're in the Netherlands and I'm in Aus.

"Has anyone experienced this issue from within the continental US???"

Last edited by stixstudios; 16th June 2019 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Poor grammar - perhaps still poor, I know :)
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, I am in the Netherlands, but the 20+ Eclipse's I have "touched" over the years are in studio's in the Netherlands, Belgium and Great Britain.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Yes, I am in the Netherlands, but the 20+ Eclipse's I have "touched" over the years are in studio's in the Netherlands, Belgium and Great Britain.
Fair enough, but what I asked for was confirmation from Eclipse users from the good old US of A.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

This is how I feel... Killing Me Softly...

Obviously some latency issues and certainly would have been much much much better recorded at 96k. (or higher).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpBoXEEyPo

Last edited by stixstudios; 16th June 2019 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Dunno...
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

The knob may wobble but the box makes things sound awesome. I love my eclipse and ive only scratched a bit of its power. Always learning a cool new trick.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
The knob may wobble but the box makes things sound awesome. I love my eclipse and ive only scratched a bit of its power. Always learning a cool new trick.
I know, I know, I know, that the effects are top class. I'm just starting out on that path.

But when I spend a large amount of cash for an effects unit from the "Top Shelf", as in "The Best", then apart from the effects, I "expect" that the build quality should match my expectations.

Sadly, in this instance, (the Eclipse Wobbly Knob) is a failure of build quality. Not fair for me, and I don't like that.

If Eventide just pointed out, and admitted that the issue exists, and there is nothing to do (fix), and we should just get on with it, then I would feel much happier. . Fine, fine, fine, because that's just the way it is - I could accept that.

This is an "ultimate"/"HUGE" investment for me.

Last edited by stixstudios; 16th June 2019 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Addict

I finally have some clarity on this issue from Eventide via my distributor:
Quote:
Eventide have advised their official position on this matter, which is:
The knob does have a bit of a wobble to it. There is no “fix” for it as that is considered normal for this product.
Can you please let the customer know that this is considered normal, and that he doesn’t not have a defective or faulty unit.
Good to know that it is considered normal for the Eclipse as far as Eventide is concerned. To get a response/acknowledgement from Eventide makes me feel a hell of a lot better.
So, I guess I'll just get on with it then.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search