The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!
Old 27th March 2019
  #151
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
Hi nd33,

If you're asking for a confirmed date, we can can't give that yet. But if you're asking more generally about the chain and what needs to be done, in this spirit of transparency that we've had with you all, I can give you some insight.

Sean
Hi Sean and Team, thank you for the candid breakdown, I have to say that Sean's relief in that video was palpable

So are we looking at around May, realistically?
Old 28th March 2019
  #152
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Hi Sean and Team, thank you for the candid breakdown, I have to say that Sean's relief in that video was palpable

So are we looking at around May, realistically?
Hey Quetz!

Yeah there was a slight sigh of relief... but there's still lots to do!

As for an approximate date, it's still hard to say as Sean mentioned before. Once we sign-off for production, we have to work with our contract manufacturer to arrange PCB fabrication and full-unit assembly. Once those timings are in we can give you a full update and provide an expected shipping date. I'm still reluctant to say May because I'm aware I've said a lot of different months over the last few conversations!

As you are based in the UK and you aren't at the peril of overseas shipping etc, you will probably be one of, if not the first to receive your unit! and when you do, we look forward to hearing your reaction! Hopefully you'll be as overwhelmed with the end-result as we are here!

Regards,
Ells
Old 1st May 2019
  #153
Here for the gear
 

I seem to remember seeing an instagram post with some EMF rejection testing going on - Any updates the Cranborne team can share? Eagerly awaiting a release date.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #154
Here for the gear
 

I'm concerned about it too.
Seems cranborne eliminate omission in the specs very careful.
SMEs may take time to do the same as large companies.

I hope it will be released before I get hooked on the gateball and bonsai.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #155
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithio View Post
I seem to remember seeing an instagram post with some EMF rejection testing going on - Any updates the Cranborne team can share? Eagerly awaiting a release date.
Maybe you didn’t read the text attached to that post from last week, it says:
“500R8 is passing crucial EMC tests with flying colours and it’s achieved Class B compliance!”
Old 3rd May 2019
  #156
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithio View Post
Any updates the Cranborne team can share? Eagerly awaiting a release date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
I'm concerned about it too. Seems cranborne eliminate omission in the specs very careful. SMEs may take time to do the same as large companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
“500R8 is passing crucial EMC tests with flying colours and it’s achieved Class B compliance!”
Hey guys,

Yes! So 500R8 has indeed been in the EMC lab passing tests with flying colours. We set out from the beginning to achieve Class B compliance - which is a bit of a feat for any audio product and something that we haven't achieved before nor seen on many competitors. It's testament to our careful shielding and construction that we can achieve a consumer-level Class B rating on a piece of gear like 500R8 which has so many damn holes!

In regards to an update, we still have few little bits to validate before we can enter production and work out some proper dates for you all. Things are moving very fast and the final spin of baseboards we received have been put through their paces. So far, all of the adjustments and tweaks that we implemented over the last few revisions have been working perfectly. We have continued to make a few little improvements and have ordered a few extra components that are on short lead time to be delivered to our contract manufacturer. Now EMC is out of the way, we can begin working our production schedules with our UK based manufacturer and work out exactly when everything will be available. As soon as we have those dates we will let you know.

We're still reluctant to have a guess at this stage as that has bitten us in the a$%e a few times over the last few months... but we're feeling very good and we're all over the moon with what we're seeing so far.

Thanks guys,

Ells
Old 3rd May 2019
  #157
Here for the gear
 

I do not know about EMC Classes of other audio interfaces at all.
But I think it is reliable.

by the way, Where is the landscape that printed on Cranborne Audio products?
Old 4th May 2019
  #158
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
That's London


Come on chaps!

I've had two EQP-KTs and two GAP Comp 554s sitting here since November that I haven't even been able to pass signal through yet!!

With the amount of improvements you've made though, I'm kind of glad that you didn't release it in its original form! It must be twice as good now as it was in the first place

edit: Please don't rush it now though, despite the dig
Old 4th May 2019
  #159
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
That's London


Come on chaps!

I've had two EQP-KTs and two GAP Comp 554s sitting here since November that I haven't even been able to pass signal through yet!!

With the amount of improvements you've made though, I'm kind of glad that you didn't release it in its original form! It must be twice as good now as it was in the first place

edit: Please don't rush it now though, despite the dig
Hmmm yes, don’t rush, but work diligently fast!
I’ve got new gear unused, waiting the wait as well...
Old 4th May 2019
  #160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
That's London


Come on chaps!

I've had two EQP-KTs and two GAP Comp 554s sitting here since November that I haven't even been able to pass signal through yet!!

With the amount of improvements you've made though, I'm kind of glad that you didn't release it in its original form! It must be twice as good now as it was in the first place

edit: Please don't rush it now though, despite the dig
Ah Quetz... Elliott and I frequently bring you up when we have delays to sign-off, etc. I think the exact line I said at one point is "Quetz has had modules since November and still waiting for his 500R8" hahaha

We've been flat-out on the 500R8 but it's just a complicated beast - 8 PCBs, 3500 electronics components, and a complex interaction between hardware and software. Normally, a company would have a fairly big team to do a product like the 500R8 from scratch - but we are a very small team that is just working ridiculously harder and more hours to do the same job. There's various corners we could have cut, and as tempting as it has been when the delays have gone on for so long, we just simply refuse to cut those corners. The 500R8 and 500ADAT are going to be perfect. We won't settle for anything less.

As a rule, I've found that 80% of product design takes 20% of the time and the last 20% takes 80% of the time. If you want to do it right that is... That's certainly been the case with the 500R8. We were 80% there over a year ago!!!!
Old 9th May 2019
  #161
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
I hear you. I'm glad you're being thorough

I have to go and explain that now to the lonely 4U hole in my rack
Old 3 weeks ago
  #162
Here for the gear
 

I have been researching endlessly for months trying to find the right interface for my setup and never feeling positive enough to buy what I put it in my online cart. Then tonight I searched 500 series audio interface and stumble on this ... I rarely read an entire thread on anything, but this is mind blowing !!! I even joined just to post this.

Having been in pro audio sales in a previous life and wiring more studios than I care to admit, I find the routing and flexibility of the R8 to be amazing and I’m trying to digest all of it. Thankfully I found this thread and better yet I won’t have the wait others have had. Kudos to CA for going through the struggle. My current gig is running a manufacturing plant and I know the pain they feel with suppliers as it’s all too real right now.

So ... Ethernet connectivity. In my reading trying to become current again I read a lot about Audinate and Dante. With the red faceplate adopting it over IEEE it appears to be the front runner so I thought about it a bit. If the R8 is hosted on a computer running Audinate’s software this should put the routing into the Dante protocol. If someone has experience with this, are there latency issues round trip if you wanted to used the R8 for summing ??? If there is no latency issue I dare say a dedicated computer attached to the R8 is cheaper than most Dante interfaces with half the I/O total of the R8 and far, far cooler IMHO.

Also, I hope CA makes it (they seem to care and I love rooting for startups) and keeps the drivers current, but even if the unthinkable happens and support trails off, given the R8 can be used with external converters and the three letter brand has an ADAT only solution for 500 usd this seems to make the box future proof as a 500 series solution that has summing to boot. My big question to CA is if the R8 is used with external converters, can the monitoring section still be used ??? And I apologize in advance if this was answered prior ... Just too excited to go back and read 6 pages over again.

And based on some of the earlier comments I recall ... don’t even try to compare this to other high end A/D/A manufacturers. At this price point if it beats the red faceplate, anything else is gravy and you all know it. If you had all of that luxury sitting in your studio already, you just don’t want to hear you bought in to the hype. I personally know Grammy nominated producers that recorded with less than ideal gear setups. I know I hear vocals recorded in the red everyday on the radio and they are making money anyway. We all want great gear but this, this seems like a set of all mountain skis ready to shred on a pow day. My fingers are sincerely crossed for the development team to wake up and read Sound on Sound says it’s in the ballpark of the big boys. Hell, I want to read that ...

Time to free up some rack space and await news of a ship date !!!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #163
Gear Maniac
 
askomiko's Avatar
 

I upgraded my 500 rack into 10 slot API while waiting for this. Good thing the 500 is addictive, i guess I'll soon need more space anyways...

That sort of "dante snake" with an additional computer sounds like a reliability nightmare, but maybe it could work
Old 3 weeks ago
  #164
Wow thanks for the kind words e_lektricity!

Yeah it's been a series of setbacks but always on the steady march forward to what we consider perfection. We don't look at our first customers as "beta" users who help us work out issues with the products... we do all the testing up front and get something that we can safely commit high MOQ orders (to get the price) so first production units are as bulletproof as can be... Hence the delays. It must be 100%.

Good news now is it's down to lead times of the PCBs now from our suppliers and then we can announce final availability... Should have firm shipping date in a few weeks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lektricity View Post
So ... Ethernet connectivity.
Going to stop you there. C.A.S.T. is not Ethernet. It doesn't send, receive, pass, etc Ethernet signals at all. And ethernet signal into one of our C.A.S.T. inputs/outputs is a terrible idea and warned against as much as we can.

C.A.S.T. stands for Cat5 Analogue Snake Transport. We repurpose the 8 wires and the shield (must use shielded Cat5e/6/7 so it has a ground!) to transmit 4 channels of balanced analogue audio. It's our way of making "mini-snakes" as it were with boxes like our N22 and N22H.


Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lektricity View Post
Also, I hope CA makes it (they seem to care and I love rooting for startups) and keeps the drivers current, but even if the unthinkable happens and support trails off, given the R8 can be used with external converters and the three letter brand has an ADAT only solution for 500 usd this seems to make the box future proof as a 500 series solution that has summing to boot. My big question to CA is if the R8 is used with external converters, can the monitoring section still be used ??? And I apologize in advance if this was answered prior ... Just too excited to go back and read 6 pages over again.
Really means a lot! Thanks! And not a bad point about using the 500R8 or 500ADAT standalone. We designed it with this in mind as well as we know a lot of people like the A/D D/A they already have so that's fine just use all the analogue paths. And yes the monitor controller still works as with all the functionality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lektricity View Post
My fingers are sincerely crossed for the development team to wake up and read Sound on Sound says it’s in the ballpark of the big boys. Hell, I want to read that ...

Time to free up some rack space and await news of a ship date !!!
Said perfectly. We're almost there! Stay tuned!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #165
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Going to stop you there. C.A.S.T. is not Ethernet. It doesn't send, receive, pass, etc Ethernet signals at all. And ethernet signal into one of our C.A.S.T. inputs/outputs is a terrible idea and warned against as much as we can.

C.A.S.T. stands for Cat5 Analogue Snake Transport. We repurpose the 8 wires and the shield (must use shielded Cat5e/6/7 so it has a ground!) to transmit 4 channels of balanced analogue audio. It's our way of making "mini-snakes" as it were with boxes like our N22 and N22H.

I should have clarified that in my comment.

I was referring to using Audinate Virtual Soundcard with the R8 connected via USB to a host. This would allow the unit to be seen on a Dante network, it just could not be run standalone to a Dante network as I understand C.A.S.T is proprietary to the unit for remote I/O.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #166
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lektricity View Post
I should have clarified that in my comment.

I was referring to using Audinate Virtual Soundcard with the R8 connected via USB to a host. This would allow the unit to be seen on a Dante network, it just could not be run standalone to a Dante network as I understand C.A.S.T is proprietary to the unit for remote I/O.
Hey @ EL_lektricity ,

Firstly, can I echo Sean's sentiments and thank you so much for your kind words! Welcome to Gearslutz and welcome to the conversation about our products!

I haven't used Dante since my live-sound days (Even then I would try to avoid it like the plague!). I can't see why your methods wouldn't work using Dante Via which allows you to patch to and from a local USB device and a Dante network. I guess you might be able to use standard VSC and Dante controller but you would need another layer - like a DAW - to connect the patches between 500R8 and VSC, and then to the Dante network itself. That would be a real headache to setup and would probably amount to some large latency figures!

I suspect that 500R8 would have to be slaved to the Dante network via its USB connection to gain the most flexibility with all of your other network devices. This wouldn't be ideal as we don't know much information about Dante's 'clock' and can't guarantee our converter performance would be optimal when slaved from the Dante Network compared to its own internal clock (which is an extremely low-jitter design that we're very proud of).

Dante only supports 48kHz too, which might be an issue for some users and don't forget that every device needs its own 'Via' or VSC licence at ~$50 a pop! No way to transfer that to another device from my experience either!

I'm sure there will be some sort of latency tradeoff associated with this - it's another layer in the way after all - however if you used 500R8's internal monitor busses in the analogue domain and just spewed the I/O to another location using Dante Via for recording then that shouldn't be a problem.

So ultimately, yes it can work in the same way that any audio interface would work using Dante Via. We can't guarantee optimum performance in these setups as we know very little about Dante Via in the technical sense. From our direct experience working with Audinate during tenure with other manufacturers, they like to keep specifics close to their chests.

Regarding using 500R8's monitor controller without using its USB interface; yes you can absolutely do that as Sean mentioned. Simply connect the Stereo Output of your DAW into the DAW 2 inputs on the rear panel of 500R8 and now you can blend that analogue playback with the summing mixer, send it out of the speaker/aux/monitor outputs, and use the monitor controller keypad for all functions (dim, Spkr B, talkback). In short, everything is available with or without USB connected - it's something we all campaigned for from the very beginning! All of this is detailed in the manual that I'm writing at the moment - it will be available very very shortly!

Thanks again mate! Keep the questions coming!

Regards,
Elliott
Old 1 week ago
  #167
Gear Head
 
Bodhifile's Avatar
When you say "bringing S/PDIF back", is that extra coaxial connections, or integrated into the toslinks? Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
  #168
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Coaxial.. they were in the original design, then left for a brief period
Old 1 week ago
  #169
Gear Head
 
Bodhifile's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Coaxial.. they were in the original design, then left for a brief period
That's what I thought, nice. That *will be very useful to me. Thanks
Old 4 days ago
  #170
Here for the gear
 

I want new information soon.
I am waiting for 500R8 while cutting the acrylic board for blank space.

by the way, there was no information about the driver software.

1. About controller chip
2. Supported OS

I want to hear about these two.
Old 3 days ago
  #171
Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
I want new information soon.
I am waiting for 500R8 while cutting the acrylic board for blank space.

by the way, there was no information about the driver software.

1. About controller chip
2. Supported OS

I want to hear about these two.
Hi Inari,

We'll be posting the user manual shortly (much to gollumsexslave's appreciation and others I'm sure!) so the nitty gritty about the USB drivers, etc will be fully detailed in there including supported OS's. But, in short, Windows 7 & and up and every Mac OS from Lion on including Mojave.

We won't be detailing what controller chip we use in the manual as it's more an engineering/R&D thing that isn't relevant to most people. But I'll happily give you the details - we use the XMOS XU224 for the 500R8 and 500ADAT. Great little chip to do the job - although I think XMOS has a bad name to some people on GS probably due to bad firmware/software implementations from certain recording products. XMOS only provides the chip, you need to do your own firmware and USB driver which can sometimes compromise performance and/or have OS compatibility problems - we have been using XMOS devices for some time (in my case, the first product I did with an XMOS chip was in 2009!) so we know their pros and cons very well and we have developed some very solid USB products using XMOS devices so it was a good safe bet - not without it's delays/issues though - about 5 months of our delays has been purely software...

Maybe I'll detail all the delays in a blog post or something one day. Might be interesting reading for some of you to see what goes on behind the scenes and how, just as you think you are about to sign off a product, an issue can come out of nowhere and cause massive delays...

On second thought, this would be pretty dry reading!

Thanks Inari and all!

And whilst I'm commenting - just a note to all you guys that everything is signed off for production now and it's all with our contract manufacturer. We're banging on their door every day saying "WHEN ARE WE ASSEMBLING?!?!?!" As soon as they have the production schedule sorted we will know availability date and let all you guys know through GS, social media, and our email list, which is where the most detailed information on availability will be found once we know. Thanks for the support everybody! The wait WILL be worth it. We've made sure of it!
Old 3 days ago
  #172
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
Maybe I'll detail all the delays in a blog post or something one day. Might be interesting reading for some of you to see what goes on behind the scenes and how, just as you think you are about to sign off a product, an issue can come out of nowhere and cause massive delays...

On second thought, this would be pretty dry reading!
cmon fella, you know we'd lap that up...
Old 3 days ago
  #173
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
And whilst I'm commenting - just a note to all you guys that everything is signed off for production now and it's all with our contract manufacturer. We're banging on their door every day saying "WHEN ARE WE ASSEMBLING?!?!?!" As soon as they have the production schedule sorted we will know availability date and let all you guys know through GS, social media, and our email list, which is where the most detailed information on availability will be found once we know. Thanks for the support everybody! The wait WILL be worth it. We've made sure of it!
when you´re ready, we better hear you shouting that from the rooftops!
Old 1 day ago
  #174
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
And whilst I'm commenting - just a note to all you guys that everything is signed off for production now and it's all with our contract manufacturer. We're banging on their door every day saying "WHEN ARE WE ASSEMBLING?!?!?!" As soon as they have the production schedule sorted we will know availability date and let all you guys know
Ooooh, these are different noises!!

We like that..

I'm really looking forward to updating this look
Attached Thumbnails
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!-r8.jpg  
Old 19 hours ago
  #175
Here for the gear
 

Best gear photo in 2019!!
Old 10 hours ago
  #176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Ooooh, these are different noises!!

We like that..

I'm really looking forward to updating this look
Brilliant. Only thing is I can't tell what orientation you have the rack ears in - standard or recessed?
Old 1 hour ago
  #177
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
Flush and proud!

Nice feature by the way
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump