The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!
Old 21st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I just read the marketing email about the parts suppliers - they suck!
Even worse than you know - we placed the order (and paid!) for these parts in August when they quoted a 12 week lead-time... And we have evidence that suggests that they "moved out" our order to give our stock to another (bigger) audio brand.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Wha?

That is NOT cool.

Ok Sean, hand over their address. It's time to send the boys round
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Wha?

That is NOT cool.

Ok Sean, hand over their address. It's time to send the boys round
yeah, for real... my money is getting slippery and slipperier by the minute, I need this damn 500R8 to come out before I lose it to another "urgent" couch-related purchase
Old 16th January 2019
testing a Camden 500 against a Focusrite RED1

Just bought two Camden 500's. Very nice gear...
I made a video comparing the Camden 500 against a Focusrite RED1, using an acoustic guitar.

See YouTube

Regards from The Netherlands,
Siegfried
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

By the way,
does anyone know half-rack or compact recorder with ADAT equiped?

I ordered 500R8 and x4 Camden500 some days ago.
I am planning to use 500R8 even on location for films.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
By the way,

Not aware of any half rack units

If you're willing to put a desktop unit in a tote bag, that opens the door quite a bit

My money would be for an Audient id14, which would give you 8 inputs over ADAT, plus two clean preamps and a monitor controller with talkback, dim, and two sets of outputs plus headphones.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
By the way,

Hey Inari!

Wow! Thanks so much for placing such an order! It's still a privilege anytime someone parts with cash for something we have worked on! Please let us know what you think once you have them in your hands!!

Just making sure I am not mistaken... If you have ordered a 500R8 then you will not need an external audio interface in order to record! Just plug 500R8 directly into your laptop via USB!

If you have ordered the 500ADAT then yes, you will need to look out for a small ADAT equipped audio interface. You may want to keep a look out for an interface with 2 ADAT in and 2 ADAT ports so that you can utilise all possible recording channels at 96kHz! If you want to playback ADAT sources through your modules, those ADAT OUT ports on the interface are important too!

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Ells
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Any updates on when these might ship?
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Any updates on when these might ship?
Hey @ BrentA !

Thanks for chasing us up!

We post frequent updates on our email newsletter so if you sign up you can see the latest news hot off the press - we shared an update shortly before NAMM.

We worked tirelessly in the hectic run up to NAMM to get 500R8 and 500ADAT into production with our UK manufacturer so that we could announce the good news at the show. We now finally have all of the electronic components that we were waiting for however when did an advanced run of a few boards with our contract manufacturer, we discovered a few last minute teething issues with the production boards.

These issues are quite normal and sometimes crop up when you move from small batches at a rapid-prototype manufacturer to volume production. Ed had to stay back in the UK rather than go to NAMM to work these issues out and he's been making great progress troubleshooting. He's now working closely with our contract manufacturer as well as the manufacturer of the component we suspect is at fault. Everyone's pulling together however it could take a matter of days to solve these problems or they could take weeks to work out - the good news is that out of the 5000+ components over 6 boards in a 500R8, we've narrowed down exactly what to focus on - these things can be like searching for needles in a haystack sometimes!

Once we have found a fix, we will be doing one final round of validation/testing and then we will be ready to push the big green button for production!

I feel a bit like a broken record, however we said from the beginning that we will take our time to get this right and as unfortunate as these delays are, we want to keep to that promise. The last thing we want to do is rush into production, find an issue after we begin shipping and then have to issue a 'rev B' board a month down the line - something we've seen done before

We're 98% there. Once we've nailed this and confirmed the fix, we'll be good to begin production... only once they are in your hands can we crack open the beers!

Thanks again for chasing us!

Ells
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

I went over to my friend's house with my 500 rack full of preamps this weekend to record drums. I took my Lucid 88192 AD/DA converter that I use to expand my Babyface Pro at home, but keep in a portable rack for situations like this. I keep a spare 8-channel snake in the rack to connect the preamps to the converter, so I don't have to unplug my patchbay snakes at home.

I could have definitely used a Cranborne 500ADAT in this scenario. It would have cut it down to me bringing just one 500 rack, with the AD conversion built in. Plug the mics into preamps, then connect to his Audient ID44 with a single ADAT cable. Man that would have been nice.

Very cool idea, just amplifies the portability of the 500 format even further. Will keep an eye out! Thanks for all the detailed info.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Guru
Poor Ed, no "booth babes" and swag for him......
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Ells, I'm also on the chase

How are things looking at the moment?

I don't think patience has ever been so hard-won

My enthusiasm hasn't declined but I've got a very sad looking 4U space in my rack..
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi Ells, I'm also on the chase

How are things looking at the moment?

I don't think patience has ever been so hard-won

My enthusiasm hasn't declined but I've got a very sad looking 4U space in my rack..
Hey @ Quetz !

We’re making some great progress. Since the last update we have finally found the exact root of the particular issue we were experiencing and we have already made great progress rectifying it. Before we are 110% happy with our fix and we are confident that the mods haven’t had any adverse affects on anything else in the unit (which is often the case!), we are going to do one more re-spin of the boards and carry out our full test procedure again before we press the big green button! - We follow a strict measure thrice cut once policy!! As soon as we have re-tested everything thoroughly and we have all had our sign-off, we will let you know the good news.

It’s a glorious thing Quetz and it’s exceeding our own expectations (some of the USB performance testing in particular has blown us off of our chairs…). Thanks so much for your continued patience and support, you will never see a 4u rack space filled up with more blood, sweat, and tears!

As soon as we press the big green button for production, you’ll be the first to know!

Thanks again mate,

Ells
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
Hey @ Quetz !

We’re making some great progress. Since the last update we have finally found the exact root of the particular issue we were experiencing and we have already made great progress rectifying it. Before we are 110% happy with our fix and we are confident that the mods haven’t had any adverse affects on anything else in the unit (which is often the case!), we are going to do one more re-spin of the boards and carry out our full test procedure again before we press the big green button! - We follow a strict measure thrice cut once policy!! As soon as we have re-tested everything thoroughly and we have all had our sign-off, we will let you know the good news.

It’s a glorious thing Quetz and it’s exceeding our own expectations (some of the USB performance testing in particular has blown us off of our chairs…). Thanks so much for your continued patience and support, you will never see a 4u rack space filled up with more blood, sweat, and tears!

As soon as we press the big green button for production, you’ll be the first to know!

Thanks again mate,

Ells
thanks for the update!

the "upside" of this (for me, at least - and I´m 100% serious, no sarcastic snark here) is that by the time this releases, I might have the funds back together again for it
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

That's awesome, fingers crossed for you guys that all goes well with the final testing

Am very much looking forward to getting that box!
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Are the ADAT500 and R8 priced the same?
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
no, about 250Euros apart (in Europe the quoted price is ~ 1895 EUR for the R8 and 1645 EUR for the ADAT)

(ADAT is cheaper than the 500R8 since it doesn´t have the USB Audio Interface etc., I guess)

EDIT:

I am not 100% sure if those prices are final!
that´s just what I got quoted for by one of their mainland European distributors... please confirm with "your" distributor.
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

it's maybe final price.
because I was payed 2279CAD as pre-order.

and Is there a good news yet? before everyone tired to waiting.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
it's maybe final price.
because I was payed 2279CAD as pre-order.

and Is there a good news yet? before everyone tired to waiting.
in europe, we have to pay VAT (value added tax) as private buyers.
usually 19-21% depending on country

that would explain the price difference.

also, I expect the pricing to be changed a little anyhow, if they´re still ironing out kinks with some part suppliers / manufacturers.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
Hey askomiko!

The units aren't priced the same as 500R8 has a few extra bits that aren't featured on the 500ADAT.

For example, the 500ADAT doesn't have the LED meters or rubber keymat used for monitor control on 500R8. 500ADAT also doesn't have the rear SPDIF connectors however the new version of 500ADAT DOES feature a USB port that is only used for software updates. 500ADAT also features a couple less converters inside.

Other than that the units are exactly the same inside and share the same boards with a few nofits between them. The price difference will depend on your location however you can find out more by checking out your local dealers on our 'where to buy' webpage:
Cranborne Audio - Where to buy

If your location isn't on this list at the moment then we will be adding more countries as soon as they are singed up. Let us know where you're based and we can see if we can open discussions there!

Quote:
...and Is there a good news yet? before everyone tired to waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosapien View Post
also, I expect the pricing to be changed a little anyhow, if they´re still ironing out kinks with some part suppliers / manufacturers.
The prices announced are indeed the final prices! We are still indeed ironing out a few last things however we wanted to make sure that the retail price didn't change so we either took the hit ourselves or found a better alternative for any component suppliers testing our patience!

We are completing one final re-spin of the complex baseboard (which features 1500+ components itself!) to make sure our final mods and performance enhancements have not had any adverse effects on anything else in the unit. After that has arrived and we run our final test procedures we can announce the production dates! We have all of the components in the UK with our contract manufacturer and so we have everything in place to press the green button when the time comes.

Hope that helps!

Ells
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

where is it??
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

I'm actually another year older since I first ordered it

How're we looking?
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

A couple quick questions about the module chaining in the 500ADAT:

1) When using the switch to chain module 1 to module 2, is the output of module 1 still sent to

a) the ADC input for that channel, and
b) the XLR output for that channel?

2) When using the switch to chain module 1 to module 2, is the XLR input to module 2 still active or is it overridden when the previous module is chained to it?

Just trying to get an idea of how creative I can get with routing.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm actually another year older since I first ordered it

How're we looking?
Quote:
Quote:
where is it??
Hey @ Quetz ,

Yeah that does sound pretty shocking when you say it like that... but as you well know and as I'm sure you're used to hearing now, we are tantalisingly close. But this time we have proof!

We have been working through the issues that were preventing us from achieving production sign-off of 500R8/500ADAT and we have implemented an array of improvements that have resulting in improved audio performance, power supply, reliability, and heat dissipation. those mods have been proven and thats the unit you are seeing in the video!

We have ordered one final re-spin of the main PCB as a final production prototype run that is due to arrive in 2-3 weeks. After these PCBs have arrived and we have run our final test procedures, we will announce availability dates to you all. We have all of the mechanical and most of the electronics components in the UK with our contract manufacturer - so we have nearly everything in place to press the green button as soon as we have final sign-off!

So all being well, we will have some very good news for you soon. We can only apologise for these delays mate. You've been very patient whilst we've been perfecting our baby and we're incredibly grateful that you have stuck by us!

If it helps, I was testing the 500R8 prototype in a video recording session last week with this amazing funk trio and even I was taken aback by how good it sounded even though I've been hearing it constantly for the last few months!

We'll be in touch!

Ells
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
A couple quick questions about the module chaining in the 500ADAT:

1) When using the switch to chain module 1 to module 2, is the output of module 1 still sent to

a) the ADC input for that channel, and
b) the XLR output for that channel?

2) When using the switch to chain module 1 to module 2, is the XLR input to module 2 still active or is it overridden when the previous module is chained to it?

Just trying to get an idea of how creative I can get with routing.
Hey @ TimS ! Thanks for the questions!

1) Yes absolutely! If you chain a module, all of the outputs, inserts, and summing mixer operate as normal.

This is pretty cool because if you have a little vocal channel strip with a preamp, EQ, and Compressor in slots 1/2/3, you can record module 3 to print the whole chain, module 2 to print just the preamp and EQ, or module 1 for the clean signal.

You can even record all 3 simultaneously so that you can 'undo' later on if that Comp was set too aggressively!

2) When you are chaining modules the next slot and its XLR input is no longer active as you are effectively bypassing that connection and internally routing the output of the first module into its input. The insert point is still operating for the second slot so you can insert an external piece of gear of you wish.

Hope this helps mate!

Regards,
Ells
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey @ Quetz ,

Yeah that does sound pretty shocking when you say it like that... but as you well know and as I'm sure you're used to hearing now, we are tantalisingly close. But this time we have proof!

We have been working through the issues that were preventing us from achieving production sign-off of 500R8/500ADAT and we have implemented an array of improvements that have resulting in improved audio performance, power supply, reliability, and heat dissipation. those mods have been proven and thats the unit you are seeing in the video!

We have ordered one final re-spin of the main PCB as a final production prototype run that is due to arrive in 2-3 weeks. After these PCBs have arrived and we have run our final test procedures, we will announce availability dates to you all. We have all of the mechanical and most of the electronics components in the UK with our contract manufacturer - so we have nearly everything in place to press the green button as soon as we have final sign-off!

So all being well, we will have some very good news for you soon. We can only apologise for these delays mate. You've been very patient whilst we've been perfecting our baby and we're incredibly grateful that you have stuck by us!

If it helps, I was testing the 500R8 prototype in a video recording session last week with this amazing funk trio and even I was taken aback by how good it sounded even though I've been hearing it constantly for the last few months!

We'll be in touch!

Ells
When you’ve done the final test and press the “green button”, how long does it take for the first unit be built, ready to ship?
Old 20th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
When you’ve done the final test and press the “green button”, how long does it take for the first unit be built, ready to ship?
Hi nd33,

If you're asking for a confirmed date, we can can't give that yet. But if you're asking more generally about the chain and what needs to be done, in this spirit of transparency that we've had with you all, I can give you some insight.

Once we sign-off for production - we have to work with our contract manufacturer based in Bedfordshire UK to slot in their PCB fabrication, PCB assembly, and finally unit assembly. We've already had some of the PCBs that are fine fabricated and assembled whilst we fix the last issue, so we have to see how long the remaining PCBs will take... but PCB fabrication can take 2-3 weeks for a full set. PCB assembly can take another 2-3 weeks for the full tested set. Then we need to assemble the units into the mechanics (which we have all in hand-in with our manufacturer). We start doing 100% QC once the first unit makes it through assembly and we test all the audio I/O with our AP, power, etc of each and every unit. We don't know quite how long this will take yet but we'll work this out with our contract manufacturer as soon as the last PCB is signed off.

From there we have to box and ship to our distributors in Europe, Canada, Aus, NZ and our retailers in the US - we're going to do our best to get it out ASAP and they are all eager to get them so this should happen quickly.

We'll keep you guys posted on a firm availability date. We expect to have this in a few weeks. Thanks for sticking with us guys. We're making sure it's worth the wait.

Sean
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey @ TimS ! Thanks for the questions!

1) Yes absolutely! If you chain a module, all of the outputs, inserts, and summing mixer operate as normal.

This is pretty cool because if you have a little vocal channel strip with a preamp, EQ, and Compressor in slots 1/2/3, you can record module 3 to print the whole chain, module 2 to print just the preamp and EQ, or module 1 for the clean signal.

You can even record all 3 simultaneously so that you can 'undo' later on if that Comp was set too aggressively!

2) When you are chaining modules the next slot and its XLR input is no longer active as you are effectively bypassing that connection and internally routing the output of the first module into its input. The insert point is still operating for the second slot so you can insert an external piece of gear of you wish.

Hope this helps mate!

Regards,
Ells
Mmm thats really cool! Thanks for the explanation.

Right now I keep a portable rack that contains a 500 rack full of preamps, and a Lucid 88192 converter, connected to a Babyface Pro and laptop. Either of the two Cranborne racks would kind of dramatically streamline this. Either use the 500ADAT into the Babyface and leave the Lucid at home, or use the 500R8 and leave both the Lucid and the Babyface at home.

Very smart product!
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear

Looks so cool!!
I can't stop grinning!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search