The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
... But it still wouldn't let me connect the SPDIF coax outputs of the Helix.
We have some news for you...

First of all, we all need to say a huge thank you to you all for your patience and support so far... we know it's been a long time since January, but we certainly haven't stood still!

- Camden 500 is now shipping! - We entered production for Camden 500 last week and we have 250 of them assembled, tested, and ready to ship from our UK Manufacturer. The end result is simply stunning and we're over the moon with how its turned out. It has a few notable upgrades fro the pre-production versions, such as Gold flashing on the card-edge connector, and a swish black PCB.

- New Camden 500 By The Numbers video: YouTube
By our calculations and measurements, Camden 500 is the cleanest and most transparent preamp on the market, even more so than some of our favourite preamps like Millennia and Grace Design. In this video I dive into the tech specs and explain how we've come to this conclusion by comparing some technical data and performance specs against some undisclosed competitors preamps as well as showing off some audio examples of Camden 500 and Mojo in action.

Production begins for 500ADAT/500R8 in late November! - pre production went well and the units have been validated, tested, and approved by the team. The components have been ordered and we will be entering production for 500R8/50ADAT in late November - around Black Friday, for delivery in early December. We're now working with our distributors/dealers to setup pre-order programs around the world... as soon as 500R8/ADAT are listed online and ready to view/pre-order we will send you the relevant links, update our where-to-buy page on our website, and tell you the date you can expect them to arrive... just a little longer now!!

S/PDIF I/O is back on 500R8 - we listened to your valuable feedback and decided that as a lot of people still integrate S/PDIF into their setup, we should bring it back. We're ordering a quick round of pre-production as a final check, and that will feature the SPDIF I/O ports. The current photography on our site doesn't reflect this, but that will be updated soon (you guys are the first to know about this!)There are also tons of mechanical changes including strengthening of the handle and removable screw-on feet... there really has been no stone left unturned!

- Distributors/resellers/dealers in the US, and UK will be announced in the next couple of weeks - We've signed the dotted line with some amazing partners in the UK and US, and now Camden 500 is ready to ship we can get the ball rolling and get the products listed, ready to sell/pre-order.

We will update you on where you can order/pre-order/view/test our products and at which dealers around the world. This is no mean feat for a start-up audio brand - some of these dealers are pretty huge...
Old 21st September 2018
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
We have some news for you...

First of all, we all need to say a huge thank you to you all for your patience and support so far... we know it's been a long time since January, but we certainly haven't stood still!

- Camden 500 is now shipping! - We entered production for Camden 500 last week and we have 250 of them assembled, tested, and ready to ship from our UK Manufacturer. The end result is simply stunning and we're over the moon with how its turned out. It has a few notable upgrades fro the pre-production versions, such as Gold flashing on the card-edge connector, and a swish black PCB.

- New Camden 500 By The Numbers video: YouTube
By our calculations and measurements, Camden 500 is the cleanest and most transparent preamp on the market, even more so than some of our favourite preamps like Millennia and Grace Design. In this video I dive into the tech specs and explain how we've come to this conclusion by comparing some technical data and performance specs against some undisclosed competitors preamps as well as showing off some audio examples of Camden 500 and Mojo in action.

Production begins for 500ADAT/500R8 in late November! - pre production went well and the units have been validated, tested, and approved by the team. The components have been ordered and we will be entering production for 500R8/50ADAT in late November - around Black Friday, for delivery in early December. We're now working with our distributors/dealers to setup pre-order programs around the world... as soon as 500R8/ADAT are listed online and ready to view/pre-order we will send you the relevant links, update our where-to-buy page on our website, and tell you the date you can expect them to arrive... just a little longer now!!

S/PDIF I/O is back on 500R8 - we listened to your valuable feedback and decided that as a lot of people still integrate S/PDIF into their setup, we should bring it back. We're ordering a quick round of pre-production as a final check, and that will feature the SPDIF I/O ports. The current photography on our site doesn't reflect this, but that will be updated soon (you guys are the first to know about this!)There are also tons of mechanical changes including strengthening of the handle and removable screw-on feet... there really has been no stone left unturned!

- Distributors/resellers/dealers in the US, and UK will be announced in the next couple of weeks - We've signed the dotted line with some amazing partners in the UK and US, and now Camden 500 is ready to ship we can get the ball rolling and get the products listed, ready to sell/pre-order.

We will update you on where you can order/pre-order/view/test our products and at which dealers around the world. This is no mean feat for a start-up audio brand - some of these dealers are pretty huge...
So does this mean heavy dealer markups in price?
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
So does this mean heavy dealer markups in price?
Not at all mate!

There will be a slight RRP adjustment compared to the prices we announced at NAMM - we will confirm that very shortly, but that’s only because we’ve added a lot of costly features (chain switching, huge electrical changes to the CAST impelmetation, mechanical enhancements). If anything, we’ve taken the hit in order to use solid, reputable, and reliable dealers/distributors to get our stuff out into the wild and into your hands - we’d struggle to do that properly by ourselves without experienced support.

We aren’t really interested in big markups and selling handfulls of products only to the people with big budgets!
Old 22nd September 2018
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Not at all mate!

There will be a slight RRP adjustment compared to the prices we announced at NAMM - we will confirm that very shortly, but that’s only because we’ve added a lot of costly features (chain switching, huge electrical changes to the CAST impelmetation, mechanical enhancements). If anything, we’ve taken the hit in order to use solid, reputable, and reliable dealers/distributors to get our stuff out into the wild and into your hands - we’d struggle to do that properly by ourselves without experienced support.

We aren’t really interested in big markups and selling handfulls of products only to the people with big budgets!
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Nut

It really seems like you guys have thought of everything !
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
It really seems like you guys have thought of everything !
We leave no stone unturned!
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
We leave no stone unturned!
Since you put back the SPDIF, I've taken another serious look at the 500R8. Wow, it looks really nice!

I would like to see the wide talk-back button made the same size as the others, allowing the addition of an L-R button, something I always look for in a monitor controller. That is a very minor concern, certainly not a show-stopper.

My remaining concern is the USB driver. Are you going the generic driver route, similar to MOTU and most others? Or are you developing your own high-efficiency and high-stability drivers, similar to RME? Again, not a show-stopper, but it would be good to know.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Nut

On the subject of talkback, I will say that I definitely prefer a talkback footswitch option. Though I am eager for the release, and you guys have already gone above and beyond (and are probably a bit tired of hearing requests)
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

I think bringing back s/pdif was a good idea.

It's 2 whole channels of extra I/O and a nice conversion-less stage for those with tasty preamps.
It's also an easy way of clocking a device without having to buy a BNC cable/adapters.

I would use it to drive a headphone amp for example, because most interface HP amp stages aren't meaty enough to drive my K702s properly.

It's definitely a huge plus having it back and I think that was a great call by the Cranborne guys, they could easily have palmed that off, especially so close to production time.
I think it will be the difference between sale and no sale for quite a few people.

While we're on requests, I wouldn't mind a cheeky little monophonic synth.
Just pop one in mine, it'll be between us
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I would use it to drive a headphone amp for example, because most interface HP amp stages aren't meaty enough to drive my K702s properly.
I guarantee you that our HP amps are sufficient... I have a pair of K612, K712 and K812's and 500R8/ADAT's headphone amp is ear-splittingly loud, full, and meaty sounding. My spec to Ed was that the headphone amp had to be able to blow faces off and make a pair of DT100's sound decent... and it certainly does, AND he's already reduced his original power output by a third

In all seriousness, we made sure it had plenty of juice for all applications. Nothing worse than a poor, untrustworthy, and weedy heapdhone amp.

Ells
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
Since you put back the SPDIF, I've taken another serious look at the 500R8. Wow, it looks really nice!

I would like to see the wide talk-back button made the same size as the others, allowing the addition of an L-R button, something I always look for in a monitor controller. That is a very minor concern, certainly not a show-stopper.

My remaining concern is the USB driver. Are you going the generic driver route, similar to MOTU and most others? Or are you developing your own high-efficiency and high-stability drivers, similar to RME? Again, not a show-stopper, but it would be good to know.
Hi LesC,

Glad you like the look of 500R8 after the re-addition of S/PDIF!

We did contemplate going to a 6-button keypad and adding another feature, however whilst the buttons are a decent size, they're not huge and we think that if the TALK button was the smaller size, it would require a bit of precision to push-to-talk repeatedly during a live session - also, being a wider button you can 'feel' it without looking at it. L-R would be a nice addition, but it's something you can apply on your DAW output at a push (I know Brainworx control can do it) and we think its a feature that would go over a lot of people's heads!

Regarding the USB driver, we are not developing a bespoke solution ourselves - the expertise required for something like that is quite considerable (RME do it very well), however we are still using a high-efficiency and high-stability solution. We are working with a trusted developer who has had a hand in some of the most robust, reliable, and low-latency USB solutions that we have come across on our travels, but we have also worked very hard on our end to ensure that conversion processes and driver aspect of the product can be under as small load and as lightweight as possible. As an example, unlike 99% of audio interfaces, we are bypassing the converter’s filters (having them on adds latency, processing load, and phase shift) and using filtration in the analogue stages instead (more costly, requires more expertise, but it’s the kind of expertise we have!). Our driver is core audio complaint for mac and will feature a simple control panel for PC (for things like buffer size, sample rate etc) - of course we also lighten the load by using the analogue summing mixer etc for realtime, 0-latency monitoring when required. I can't share our figures quite yet, but the roundtrip latency figures and buffer stability we are edging towards is quite extraordinary.

In short, we know that it is crucial we get the driver right, and we have the tools and the contacts to make sure we do!
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

More good news, thanks fellas
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi LesC,

Glad you like the look of 500R8 after the re-addition of S/PDIF!

We did contemplate going to a 6-button keypad and adding another feature, however whilst the buttons are a decent size, they're not huge and we think that if the TALK button was the smaller size, it would require a bit of precision to push-to-talk repeatedly during a live session - also, being a wider button you can 'feel' it without looking at it. L-R would be a nice addition, but it's something you can apply on your DAW output at a push (I know Brainworx control can do it) and we think its a feature that would go over a lot of people's heads!

Regarding the USB driver, we are not developing a bespoke solution ourselves - the expertise required for something like that is quite considerable (RME do it very well), however we are still using a high-efficiency and high-stability solution. We are working with a trusted developer who has had a hand in some of the most robust, reliable, and low-latency USB solutions that we have come across on our travels, but we have also worked very hard on our end to ensure that conversion processes and driver aspect of the product can be under as small load and as lightweight as possible. As an example, unlike 99% of audio interfaces, we are bypassing the converter’s filters (having them on adds latency, processing load, and phase shift) and using filtration in the analogue stages instead (more costly, requires more expertise, but it’s the kind of expertise we have!). Our driver is core audio complaint for mac and will feature a simple control panel for PC (for things like buffer size, sample rate etc) - of course we also lighten the load by using the analogue summing mixer etc for realtime, 0-latency monitoring when required. I can't share our figures quite yet, but the roundtrip latency figures and buffer stability we are edging towards is quite extraordinary.

In short, we know that it is crucial we get the driver right, and we have the tools and the contacts to make sure we do!
Thank you for the quick and very reasonable reply!
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
On the subject of talkback, I will say that I definitely prefer a talkback footswitch option. Though I am eager for the release, and you guys have already gone above and beyond (and are probably a bit tired of hearing requests)
Hey Bodhifle,

Yeah we did originally have a TB footswitch spec'd but it made way for dedicated outputs for the summing mixer, aux bus outputs, and Daw 2 analogue inputs... we added those to make sure that 500R8 was compatible for those who wanted to use their own converters etc but still make use of all 500R8's analogue features. Also pretty handy if you want to run monitoring/foldback systems. As you can see, the rear panel is pretty full - no room for a single extra connector (without making it 20" wide and un-rackmountable!!).

We are looking into maybe having a mode where the TALK button is toggled off/on rather than push-to-talk, so you can get an inline mute footswitch (I know radial make one?) or a mic with switch if you're tired of grabbing the Talk button every time. No promises at this stage, but we'll see what we can do! The talkback XLR also has 48v phantom power so you can get a posh table-top conference thing with a push-to-talk button (I know AKG do those!).

Just don't go plugging your ribbons into the Talkback okay?!

Always very happy to hear requests and discuss possibilities/workarounds! I just cant promise we can implement/fit them on the product!!

Thanks mate!
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi, Ells.

Will the 500ADAT operate happily in a flat or inclined, mastering style desk?

Thank you!
Tommy
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkFaker View Post
Hi, Ells.

Will the 500ADAT operate happily in a flat or inclined, mastering style desk?

Thank you!
Tommy
Hey Tommy!

Yes absolutely! 500ADAT can get a bit hot depending on what modules you have inserted but provided you leave sufficient ventilation, you can mount it in whatever configuration you'd like.

Also, if you do plan on mounting it in a desk, you can put the unit in the recessed rack-ear configuration and protect the front-panel controls!

Like this:
Cranborne Audio - Cranborne Audio takes protecting your...

Ells
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey Tommy!

Yes absolutely! 500ADAT can get a bit hot depending on what modules you have inserted but provided you leave sufficient ventilation, you can mount it in whatever configuration you'd like.

Also, if you do plan on mounting it in a desk, you can put the unit in the recessed rack-ear configuration and protect the front-panel controls!

Like this:
Cranborne Audio - Cranborne Audio takes protecting your...

Ells
Thank you, Ells!
Old 16th October 2018
MYN
Gear Addict

Woohoo! Check this out. Cranborne pre-orders are now live at Front End Audio! Just ordered a Camden 500. Next month can't come soon enough.

https://www.frontendaudio.com/cranborne-audio/
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Hey!!

Where are the UK retailers??!

The US site already has a 'stock arriving on' date but here where it's being made, we still don't know where we can buy it from!

What's the word, Cranborne fellas?
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Hey!!

Where are the UK retailers??!

The US site already has a 'stock arriving on' date but here where it's being made, we still don't know where we can buy it from!

What's the word, Cranborne fellas?
Never fear Quetz!!

We have news next week... one of which is announcing our our freshly-signed UK distributor

We have also started meetings with some dealers in the UK too... so it's all kicking off mate! Although, if you have a preferred dealer, give em a gentle prod from us!

Don't forget, the kit is made in Bedfordshire after all - it's quicker to send a courier down the M1 then fly a pallet over to the states, so you'll get your hands on it in blightly before they land in the US - so you wont be missing out!!
Old 23rd October 2018
I just wanted to pop my head in to say this product looks incredible! It really does fill a hole in the market that finally begins to address modern workflows in an elegant way. Awesome.

If I may make a suggestion for a possible feature: I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but...

please consider a version with AVB OR Soundgrid network compatibility. This would make your system damn near future proof and way more powerful for routing and latency in larger rigs.
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I just wanted to pop my head in to say this product looks incredible! It really does fill a hole in the market that finally begins to address modern workflows in an elegant way. Awesome.

If I may make a suggestion for a possible feature: I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but...

please consider a version with AVB OR Soundgrid network compatibility. This would make your system damn near future proof and way more powerful for routing and latency in larger rigs.
Thanks for the kind words DomiBabi! Yes, much more innovation to come from us...

Digital audio transports are a tough one because there are so many and they are all slightly different. This is why we are eager to see AES67 and AES70 adoption from the industry - standards are always better than loads of proprietary protocols - for both end-users and manufacturers. Imagine us having to support different hardware and software stacks for AVB, Dante, Soundgrid, and whatever other flavour-of-the-month appears...

But I take your point and we see things developing this way as well! We're fortunate that we are proficient in both the analogue and digital domain and thanks to this we should be able to offer innovations other brands can't. This is one of the reasons a product like the 500R8 or 500ADAT hasn't been made yet, or rather didn't male it very far in the market - it's very tricky to do both well, especially in the same box, and especially for the price we were able to do it for.

To Quetz and others - some news about dealers, etc going out later today to our email list! We're fast approaching the end of our "vapourware" era

Cheers guys!
Old 24th October 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

@ Karpmentalise .
Not sure if this was asked and answered, but can the 500R8 be used as a Stand-Alone ADAT AD/DA extension for another Interface? I am aware that the 500ADAT can do this, but I'm specifically asking re the 500R8.
Also will the 500R8 work with a newer Apple computer that only has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports?
Thanks.

Last edited by JGM; 24th October 2018 at 11:05 PM..
Old 24th October 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

duplicate
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Just read the email, nice one on the RRP, really happy you brought it in as promised!

Really can't wait to get my hands on it
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Maniac

What signals I could route to the R8 adat outs? Does it give the 500 slots or extra channels from USB?
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
@ Karpmentalise .
Not sure if this was asked and answered, but can the 500R8 be used as a Stand-Alone ADAT AD/DA extension for another Interface? I am aware that the 500ADAT can do this, but I'm specifically asking re the 500R8.
Also will the 500R8 work with a newer Apple computer that only has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports?
Thanks.
Hey JGM,

The channel routing in and out of the module slots on 500R8 is fixed 1-1 with the USB stream. (Slot 1=USB 1, Slot 2=USB 2 etc) and unfornately the patching cannot be reconfigured to operate like a 500ADAT.

The 500R8 is perfectly compatible with any USB 3, thunderbolt, and type C connection provided you use the correct cabling or adapter!

Ells
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
What signals I could route to the R8 adat outs? Does it give the 500 slots or extra channels from USB?
Hi Askmiko,

The ADAT I/O corresponds with USB channels 9-24 so that you can send audio to and from your DAW directly via ADAT. You could use a 500ADAT connected to 500R8 to record up to 16 channels of 500 series modules and insert 16 of 500 series EQ’s/comps directly into your session using 500R8 local slots and external slots via ADAT.

Hope that helps!

Ells
Old 26th October 2018
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hey JGM,

The channel routing in and out of the module slots on 500R8 is fixed 1-1 with the USB stream. (Slot 1=USB 1, Slot 2=USB 2 etc) and unfornately the patching cannot be reconfigured to operate like a 500ADAT.

The 500R8 is perfectly compatible with any USB 3, thunderbolt, and type C connection provided you use the correct cabling or adapter!

Ells
Ells, are you saying the 500R8 functions as a thunderbolt interface also if your motherboard is equiped with the connector?
Old 26th October 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey JGM,

Ells
Thanks for the response.

So what is meant by, “Combine 500R8's analogue performance with your own converters.....”? Copied from your website.

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search