The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlane View Post
Oh sweet! That's awesome. Here's the first thing I did with it. Just sent this mix through the only two modules I have. I will post a summed version for comparison, but it might not sound as good because the other busses will lack saturation.
Have you tried splitting the difference by summing through 6 channels & sending that thru ypur 2 modules? That's my current workflow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
They demoed the Camden for me in KMR's listening room when I picked up my R8.
We were listening at a very conservative volume and my eyes still popped when I heard the thump, and it was fascinating hearing a snare get tucked perfectly in the mix using just a bit of cream.
Really cool little box!

Elliott very kindly re-amped a sample of my voice over through Thump and Cream for me a couple of weeks back - sounds great Pity that my recently exploding washing machine may delay my purchase a bit but the Camden sounds really nice.

Big question is then - has anyone A/B'ed one with a 1073 or similar?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Elliott very kindly re-amped a sample of my voice over through Thump and Cream for me a couple of weeks back - sounds great Pity that my recently exploding washing machine may delay my purchase a bit but the Camden sounds really nice.

Big question is then - has anyone A/B'ed one with a 1073 or similar?
I’ve used it along side BAE 1073s, Stam 1073s, and Great Rivers. This might not be too helpful, but when Thump is engaged, it is similar to those but different. The low end is accentuated in a similar way but the overall signal is maybe less colored. If you crank the mojo in thump mode you get more low end than a 1073. Thump is pretty great on voice over and toms.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
Have you tried splitting the difference by summing through 6 channels & sending that thru ypur 2 modules? That's my current workflow.
Didn’t even think of that! I can’t wait to get a few Camden 500s. Apparently, (according to a sound on sound article I read,) the cream setting pulls some 500hz out of the signal as you apply it. I instantly think drum bus. And bass for that matter. Who wants 500 hz in drums or bass honestly. Seems perfect.

Would have just sat the thing on thump forever if I didn’t read that article, seems logical to add low end saturation to drum and bass, but now I’ll have to try both.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
I’ve used it along side BAE 1073s, Stam 1073s, and Great Rivers. This might not be too helpful, but when Thump is engaged, it is similar to those but different. The low end is accentuated in a similar way but the overall signal is maybe less colored. If you crank the mojo in thump mode you get more low end than a 1073. Thump is pretty great on voice over and toms.

Thanks BrentA, that is useful and good to know. The fact that you say good for voice over is interesting. 1073 or the likes have been on my radar for a while in a bid to get 'size' on VO. Versatility of Camden is great. The Thump re-amps Elliott did for me thickened up nicely, but having never used a 1073 myself I was intrigued as to whether that was the same kind of sound. Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
So you know how you open a manual & skip all the warnings & the yellow triangles w/ exclamation points? Well, the Cranborne crew is not messing around.

I got lazy & plugged in my living room "monitors" (a small computer sub+satellite system) in via the front headphones jack. Was fine for a few days until it blew & started smoking!!!! Apparently, the circuit that easily powers my Q701s means with great power comes great responsibility.

The Cranborne peeps were totally on top of everything ... I love this box but I can't tell you which is better, the product or the service. Both top-notch.

Anyway for the curious, here's the track that blew one of my front cans jack (other works just fine along w/ everything else). The Camdens were stellar once again, used thump to add weight & bass to the Moog sequence & voices. I ran everything through the Moog Matriarch stereo delay & even doubled up the delay track back into the delay again. Camden mojo was great, thump adding weight & bass when needed & cream handy in cleaning up when the Moog delay got a little too muddy. Sorry, I don't use mics too often these days so can't report on that end but I usually run synths through some Radial JDIs into the mic side. Works great for my needs.

Toward the very end, I picked up a Moog 500 delay & gotta say the Cranborne's all-in-one nature makes the workflow a dream to route audio & control the Moog --- that MIDI interface means one less box to integrate. Got me looking really hard at the Bettermakers, Wes & other VST-enabled plugs.

I went with 6 summing channels into the 2 Camdens w/ cream at 12, then back ITB for the final 2 bus processing. I'm really happy with the way it's sounding -- any inadequacies at this point are solely my own, which I haven't always felt to be the case in the past.

Still loving this thing.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
So you know how you open a manual & skip all the warnings & the yellow triangles w/ exclamation points? Well, the Cranborne crew is not messing around.

I got lazy & plugged in my living room "monitors" (a small computer sub+satellite system) in via the front headphones jack. Was fine for a few days until it blew & started smoking!!!! Apparently, the circuit that easily powers my Q701s means with great power comes great responsibility.

The Cranborne peeps were totally on top of everything ... I love this box but I can't tell you which is better, the product or the service. Both top-notch.

Anyway for the curious, here's the track that blew one of my front cans jack (other works just fine along w/ everything else). The Camdens were stellar once again, used thump to add weight & bass to the Moog sequence & voices. I ran everything through the Moog Matriarch stereo delay & even doubled up the delay track back into the delay again. Camden mojo was great, thump adding weight & bass when needed & cream handy in cleaning up when the Moog delay got a little too muddy. Sorry, I don't use mics too often these days so can't report on that end but I usually run synths through some Radial JDIs into the mic side. Works great for my needs.

Toward the very end, I picked up a Moog 500 delay & gotta say the Cranborne's all-in-one nature makes the workflow a dream to route audio & control the Moog --- that MIDI interface means one less box to integrate. Got me looking really hard at the Bettermakers, Wes & other VST-enabled plugs.

I went with 6 summing channels into the 2 Camdens w/ cream at 12, then back ITB for the final 2 bus processing. I'm really happy with the way it's sounding -- any inadequacies at this point are solely my own, which I haven't always felt to be the case in the past.

Still loving this thing.

Hey all,

In the spirit of transparency we'll give you the same update we were going to give mkdvb after doing some tests the last few days to try and repeat this issue and understand exactly what caused it.

First of all, it's worthwhile to mention that mkdvb used a 1/4" to minijack adapter then a minijack to minijack cable to go from the Headphone Output on his 500R8 to his active computer speakers. Just mentioning because the cable type and the speaker input is important to understand how this fault could have happened.

So after testing and trying to replicate the fault (flashing meters before the headphone output dies) we we able to mimic the fault in these two ways: 1) by connecting a voltage source to the output or 2) by physically shorting wires on the board. We suspect therefore that with mkdvb's unit that either something conductive like a screw fell into the unit and bridged a couple of wires when it was moved (or fell in earlier and moved when the unit was shifted) or potentially there is a fault with the speaker input on his active computer speakers and some sort of voltage is on there.

When I spoke to mkdvb I mentioned the warnings of output type, etc but really the headphone output, while recommended to be used only for driving headphones, should still be fine driving a line level (10kOhm) input so long as it doesn't short one of the output pins for long periods of time (they are designed to survive temporary shorts such as when inserting headphones, not sustained long term driving of signal into ground). But it's tough to explain all of this so we simplify it by just saying "only connect headphones to the headphone outputs", which is overly cautious but prevents stuff like this from possibly happening. For external speakers we point users to the main speaker A and B outs and the line level Aux Output on the back of the unit rather than the headphone outputs.

Anywho, just wanted to let you all know we don't take this stuff lightly and always need to get to the bottom of it right away! mkdvb's unit is perfectly fine other than his headphone output (one of the op-amps is blown) and we'll take care of it for him of course.

And as for your lovely words mkdvb - so glad to hear how much you love your unit! Was really nice talking to you last week, if a bit nerve-racking initially! You're a lovely guy and we really appreciate your kind words and buoyant spirit! Keep the awesome synth jams coming as well!

Cheers mkdvb and all!

Sean
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Here is something that I summed through the CA 500 adat. There is RND red silk on the vox bus. The other busses are not saturated OTB. I really feel like the unit is doing a thing with the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/user-12783511...-easy-print-03

I don't like the data compression of soundcloud, but I feel that its better than an mp3 link.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've had the Camdens for almost a year now. I bought them because I wanted a pair of super clean preamps. I got more than I bargained for. They are indeed super transparent, but not in a sterile way. They are a musically clean in a way that actually makes everything you record through them sound vibrant. Hard to explain but that's my best effort.

Then there's the mojo, which is much more impressive and useful than I expected. The thump has been great for me on drums and voiceover. I recorded some electric guitar the other day with cream at about 9:30 o' clock and I was super impressed with the sound.

Also the Cranborne guys were super responsive and helpful with a service request I had. These guys stand by their product.

I'll be buying a 500ADAT eventually. Thanks, Cranborne!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I like the look of the 500ADAT as a near future addition to my setup.

Couple of questions, in the manual it's mentioned that there is a A/D convertor for the summing mixer but I can't seem to find how it can be feed back into a DAW via the a pair ADAT outputs. Can you route this signal? Is that just a feature of the USB version?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_One View Post
I like the look of the 500ADAT as a near future addition to my setup.

Couple of questions, in the manual it's mentioned that there is a A/D convertor for the summing mixer but I can't seem to find how it can be feed back into a DAW via the a pair ADAT outputs. Can you route this signal? Is that just a feature of the USB version?
Hey mate!

The converter for the mix bus is a feature exclusively on the 500R8 as it has enough USB channel bandwidth to supply all of the converter channels.

There was a brief mention of a converter on 500ADAT's summing mixer in the 500ADAT user manual, however that is in fact a horrendous error on my part! I wrote the R8 manual first, duplicated, and then removed everything that wasn't applicable. Sadly, I missed that line where it mentions the converter! I have now updated the pdf on the website... I'm really sorry about that! That was my fault - but at least that proves that you are reading it! Perhaps I kept it in just to keep everybody on their toes...

Thanks mate. Any other questions, please feel free to fire them across.

Ells
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
Hey mate!

The converter for the mix bus is a feature exclusively on the 500R8 as it has enough USB channel bandwidth to supply all of the converter channels.

There was a brief mention of a converter on 500ADAT's summing mixer in the 500ADAT user manual, however that is in fact a horrendous error on my part! I wrote the R8 manual first, duplicated, and then removed everything that wasn't applicable. Sadly, I missed that line where it mentions the converter! I have now updated the pdf on the website... I'm really sorry about that! That was my fault - but at least that proves that you are reading it! Perhaps I kept it in just to keep everybody on their toes...

Thanks mate. Any other questions, please feel free to fire them across.

Ells
I figured as much. No probs, we are all human.

Am I correct in thinking that if one wanted to use the 500ADAT as a summing mixer, with an Apollo for example, and print back into the DAW it would have to be with the A/D convertors of the DAW (for all 8 channels), or by physically routing (for 6 channels of summing) the mix out back into two channels and sending them via the internal A/D via ADAT?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_One View Post
Am I correct in thinking that if one wanted to use the 500ADAT as a summing mixer, with an Apollo for example, and print back into the DAW it would have to be with the A/D convertors of the DAW (for all 8 channels), or by physically routing (for 6 channels of summing) the mix out back into two channels and sending them via the internal A/D via ADAT?
The easiest way to do it with an Apollo would be to simply connect the Mix Output 1/4" jacks of 500ADAT into 2 spare line inputs on your Apollo. That way you can use all 8 ADAT channels for summing as well as "insert" any stereo bus processing inline to apply any colouration across your whole mix. We made the 1/4" mix outputs 20.5dBu mac output level so that they would easily connect up to your Apollo without clipping.

Some guys prefer to use 500ADAT's internal conversion for the summing mixer or to insert a 500 series module across the mix bus, so in this case you would have to connect the Mix Outputs of 500ADAT into a pair of slot inputs (7+8 for example) and then setup up your DAW to record ADAT Inputs 7+8. That would leave you with 6 channels of summing using 500 series.

I personally use the first method with my Apollo and it integrates seamlessly! I also enjoy monitoring the analogue level coming into the Apollo using console.

Hope that helps,
Ells
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
I got 500R8 some days ago and enjoying it
I am satisfied to quality so far.

by the way, USB cable was not included?
I looked in the box but could not find.
Attached Thumbnails
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!-thatone.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
I got 500R8 some days ago and enjoying it
I am satisfied to quality so far.

by the way, USB cable was not included?
I looked in the box but could not find.
Hi INARI,

Brilliant to hear mate! You've been following us for so long so it's amazing to hear you got yours and are enjoying!

That's right, we did not include a USB cable. We mention this on the big "Welcome" insert that comes in the rack when you unbox the unit. All of our cardboard and the inserts are 100% recyclable (the 'foam' is actually vegetable cellulose and is biodegradable). When we were looking into our environmental impact, surprisingly duplicate cables is actually the biggest waste being created. Most people already have a USB Type B cable and that's a lot of rubber, copper, etc that is being wasted. We thought it might be controversial to not include a cable but we're really trying to do the right thing with eliminating electronic waste. Cables are one of the worst culprits thanks to the terrible conditions in mines and in copper 'recycling'. Ever see the BBC documentary in Ghana about how they "recycle" the remnants of copper from cables, etc? It's absolutely grim and we just are too uncomfortable with it even if it means a slight inconvenience to some of our customers.

I hope you can understand this position. I know it might be a bit controversial but we all have to do our part.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
I've had the Camdens for almost a year now. I bought them because I wanted a pair of super clean preamps. I got more than I bargained for. They are indeed super transparent, but not in a sterile way. They are a musically clean in a way that actually makes everything you record through them sound vibrant. Hard to explain but that's my best effort.

Then there's the mojo, which is much more impressive and useful than I expected. The thump has been great for me on drums and voiceover. I recorded some electric guitar the other day with cream at about 9:30 o' clock and I was super impressed with the sound.

Also the Cranborne guys were super responsive and helpful with a service request I had. These guys stand by their product.

I'll be buying a 500ADAT eventually. Thanks, Cranborne!
i wasn't expecting too much for the price but it FAR exceeded any expectation and the MOJO function isn't a bs hype thing..it works great and the range control is set perfectly..you can use the full taper effectively for whatever you are looking to achieve
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
More stuff that I summed through the 500 adat.

https://soundcloud.com/user-127835114/long-way-home

14 hour mix..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Help me understand how the inserts work, I don’t have any 19 inch pieces to send out to so I’ll just ask. Do you just return the signal into the XLR input? Wouldn’t this create a feedback loop? Having trouble understanding how to go out to a compressor and back in to the same channel for summing. My eventual goal would be to have analog bus compressors on every channel.

Moreover, if I have digital compression happening before the preamp saturation in the 500 adat on some channels and some channels having the compression and saturation happening otb, wouldn’t there be a delay differential from the electrical signal passing through an additional box? (The analog compressors.) As compared to the signal only passing through the 500 series modules.

Is there a specific way to calibrate for this?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

The insert is the jack under the XLR, it is in and out, use an insert cable with it. Analog gear has no latency, you can make a chain of 20 compressors without any delay.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlane View Post
Help me understand how the inserts work, I don’t have any 19 inch pieces to send out to so I’ll just ask. Do you just return the signal into the XLR input? Wouldn’t this create a feedback loop? Having trouble understanding how to go out to a compressor and back in to the same channel for summing. My eventual goal would be to have analog bus compressors on every channel.

Moreover, if I have digital compression happening before the preamp saturation in the 500 adat on some channels and some channels having the compression and saturation happening otb, wouldn’t there be a delay differential from the electrical signal passing through an additional box? (The analog compressors.) As compared to the signal only passing through the 500 series modules.

Is there a specific way to calibrate for this?
Hey Dlane,

As Askomiko said, the insert Jacks are intact TRS insert points. You can get a specific cable that goes into the that has 2 ends, on for send, the other for return. If you you get the right cable you can connect into the insert point and then wire up the send into the compressor input and the return into the compressor output. No need to run anything into the XLR in. These kind of insert points are prevalent on mixing consoles etc as they do not take up alot of room (compared to separate send and returns) and are quite easy to wire up.

Also, as Askomiko said, analogue gear/our inserts do not have any delay associated with them as they are completely analogue. Any good DAW will have delay compensation built in that will help align the ADAT channels coming out of the interface and into 500ADAT so you can insert away without added latency.

Hope this helps!
Ells

Last edited by Ells; 3 days ago at 07:58 AM.. Reason: Typos. Typos everywhere.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quick question:

What would be the possibility of getting DAW2 into the converter, especially since SPDIFF isn't functional yet so there's 2 slots open? That would actually open the workflow even more, allowing for full 8 channel summing & continuous mixing into the summing + any outboard processor.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Well thats good news.

I guess routing in and out via adat is different, because anytime I'm in a session and I quickly create an aux track or something and forget to route it to the summing mixer instantly there is a huge delay there to remind me.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
By the way,
When do you plan to release the C.A.S.T. Breakout Boxes?
I'm looking forward to these too.
And are there any precautions on the LAN cable that should be used?

thanks.
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quick question:

What would be the possibility of getting DAW2 into the converter, especially since SPDIFF isn't functional yet so there's 2 slots open? That would actually open the workflow even more, allowing for full 8 channel summing & continuous mixing into the summing + any outboard processor.
Hey mkdvb,

We like your thinking, however we had to finalise the converters and the signal path during the design phase. We aren't able to reroute converters and analogue paths now as they are physical connections and so cannot be changed in firmware/software - although, we do have planned features that can implemented using firmware that we think you may like! SPDIF by design doesn't actually feature any converters - so we don't have any 'spare' converters anyways. Thanks for the question though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
By the way,
When do you plan to release the C.A.S.T. Breakout Boxes?
I'm looking forward to these too.
And are there any precautions on the LAN cable that should be used?

thanks.
Hey Inari,

We are currently on track to get the first production N22s out just before Black Friday. We haven't announced the price yet but I'm happy to tell you guys the good news that we hit our costs so it is probably going to be $99/£99 Inc VAT retail price.

N22H is about a month after N22 but with the holidays and NAMM it's tricky. We will keep you posted.

In terms of the cable, we will run some more tests by the time the unit is shipping however we were using bog-standard Cat5e cable and we were achieving >153dB of crosstalk rejection @ 1kHz and >134dB of crosstalk rejection @ 10kHz which far exceeded our expectations (even on pretty average Cat5e) and would certainly increase with nicer Cat 6, or 7.

Hope this helps mate!

Regards,
Elliott
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search