The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New way of rec. bassdrum.....
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

New way of rec. bassdrum.....

Is there anybody out there that has some new freaky ideas of recording/micing the kickdrum? I´m kinda bored with the D12 or u47fet sound.....

/T
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Royer- windscreen- 8" out?
Old 22nd October 2002
Royer 121 instead of U47fet?

Can someone post a link to the 'speaker' BD mic thread please?

You missed a cool thread.....
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Addict

Small diaphragm omni, couple inches off the preferably wood floor, on a diagonal between the floor tom and the kick, about 3 ft out facing towards the kick. Squash. Maybe one or two other mics on the kit...
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Let me do the honours...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...=&threadid=639

How funny. I was just on my way back home tonight and thought "Hmmm, I really need to check out that set-up again."

Haven't reread the thread yet (?) but does is it say how it's wired? I remember people talking about "hot" outputs and such but can't remember if it's just a simple wiring jobbie. (As you can probably tell, I don't do much wiring/soldering/pretending to know anything!) Suppose I'll reread it now...

Anyway...

Check out that contraption. And then check out AJ's bungi job as well!

R.
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

Cool....Thanks
Old 23rd October 2002
One with big hooves

I'll stick a mic either inside or on the beater side and then put a 414B/ULS outside in figure 8.
Old 23rd October 2002
member no 666

Soundelux U-195 about 2-4 ft. from the kik, "fat" switch in, "lo cut" in... to a Phoenix DRS-2... to Fatso [light use, like "warm setting 3"].

It's worked a couple of times quite nicely... sometimes I leave the switches on the mic disengaged, it kinda depends on the drum. 24" drums, are usually no switches, 22" and smaller, switches.

Best of luck.
Old 23rd October 2002
Sondelux seem to have cool UK distribution now, via Unity Audio

Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

Can a Neve SLut change their stripes... i think so... i think ill be turning into a chameleon gear slut now... It was a bit of a revelation..

PEACE
Wiggy
Attached Thumbnails
New way of rec. bassdrum.....-api560small.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2002
One with big hooves

Yeah, those are cool.
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

NS-10 woofer plugged into a DI, about a foot or two out from the kick. Give it a transformer and some class A and bring up the volume when you want to warm up the entire mix.

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Head

Yo NSux,

Not a new micing technique but effective for certain things,

Run a PT send from your kick to an aux fader, on the aux fader put an EQ (like ren or fr) cut the lows, then run thu Amp Farm (a fender twin maybe...).

Play with the eq till you have that nice slap workin... gets a great Metal Kick 'click' that cuts thru and you can ride the fader out on the soft parts and in on the more intense. Just used it on a metal project and the band was diggin it...me too cuz they thought it was their playing.. heh
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
NS-10 woofer plugged into a DI, about a foot or two out from the kick. Give it a transformer and some class A and bring up the volume when you want to warm up the entire mix.

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music
If you're recording digitally I'd definitely second this suggestion. Gives it a little bit of what you're missing from the "sucky analog" world.heh
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

I just remembered another recent favorite. Ran a mult of the kick into an electro harmonix octave multiplex (fuzz/octave pedal thingy).

Messing with the blend of the distorted subharmonic thing and the original yielded a cool, messed up kik tone. Other similar pedals would probably also be cool...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search