The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The relationship between vocal mic and hardware EQ 500 Series Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The relationship between vocal mic and hardware EQ

Hey everyone!
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I have 3 mics that usually get auditioned for the lead vocal.
AEA R84
WA87
AT4050
The two condensers always sound way better than the ribbon, until I engage the EQ on the ribbon's preamp (RPQ500). That EQ is the game changer. Both the condenser mics run through a Vintech 573, which has been a very nice upgrade from the stock pres on my UR44. Still yet, it seems that hardware EQ on the AEA pre is what helps the R84 win almost every vocal shootout I do.
I've tried using the RPQ500 with the condensers, and don't really care for the sound. The extremely high impedance of that pre is tailored perfectly for ribbons, but tends to make condensers too sibilant for vocal duties.
I've also experimented with using the RPQ500 as a line level EQ, after the Vintech and before going into the interface. This is definitely a step in the right direction. But again, that EQ is tailored for ribbons... It only has a high pass and a shelving for the top end.
I've been looking into grabbing a 500 series EQ for tracking duties... Maybe something like a Neve style inductor EQ? (I'm not afraid to commit during tracking, and in my short experience, it does seem like there's a big difference between hardware and software EQ).
I guess my question is, what kind of EQs work great in this situation, for use with condenser mics during tracking? And can I expect that if I were to acquire one of these units, the condensers may be able to better compete with the R84 in this scenario?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also, regarding the relationship between microphone and EQ during tracking... When do you stop searching for that right vocal mic, and start focusing more on augmenting the mics you do have with outboard gear?
For example, let's say a 251 style mic is what usually works best for you, and you have to choose between it and an 87... except for with the 87 you also get your choice of hardware EQ. With the 251 you have to settle for in the box stuff. What would your decision be?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search