The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic for male with deep voice (spoken word) Condenser Microphones
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

Mic for male with deep voice (spoken word)

From threads on here that have asked similar questions (Most of them were for rap vocals with a deep voice) I have read and understood to the best of my abilities that every mic is different for every voice. So with that in mind...

I am about to start recording some audiobooks and I am finding some difficulty finding a microphone that would best fit my needs. Basically I am looking for a microphone that will pick up my deep voice the best. I was looking at the Rode NT1A but I saw that some blogs did not recommend it for people with deep voices.

My budget is $500 and the mic will be used in a home studio (small recording booth). I do have experience working with the EQ and multiple DAWS which leads me to believe that perhaps the Rode NT1 may be the best choice since I read it is easy to EQ due it being flatter than the Rode NT1A.

If you guys have any recommendations for a mic that is best used for spoken word and can pick up a deep male voice I would appreciate it. (The microphone doesn't have to be a Rode it's just what I saw people recommend as well as the SM7B) Thank you all!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence53 View Post
From threads on here that have asked similar questions (Most of them were for rap vocals with a deep voice) I have read and understood to the best of my abilities that every mic is different for every voice. So with that in mind...

I am about to start recording some audiobooks and I am finding some difficulty finding a microphone that would best fit my needs. Basically I am looking for a microphone that will pick up my deep voice the best. I was looking at the Rode NT1A but I saw that some blogs did not recommend it for people with deep voices.

My budget is $500 and the mic will be used in a home studio (small recording booth). I do have experience working with the EQ and multiple DAWS which leads me to believe that perhaps the Rode NT1 may be the best choice since I read it is easy to EQ due it being flatter than the Rode NT1A.

If you guys have any recommendations for a mic that is best used for spoken word and can pick up a deep male voice I would appreciate it. (The microphone doesn't have to be a Rode it's just what I saw people recommend as well as the SM7B) Thank you all!
Second the Shure SM7B.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Head

My voice is deep. I do spoken word. SM7B works well for me.
Old 12th April 2018
Barbaric Amplification BA-67 tube mic. $500.00. Incredible value. Sounds similar to my Neumann U67. Great deep voice tone can be achieved - just find the right distance from the mic. Distance = EQ.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

A deep voice will not necessarily sound best with a deep mic. Deepness by itself can sound muddy. Try a mic with a bit of treble in it like a 251 Clone to add clarity. The RE20 dynamic is also a good choice, as it has extended highs as well as lows.

Also, watch out for proximity effect. A deep voice can get very muddy if you talk too close to the mic. Mics like the RE20 reduce proximity effect which is another reason they sound good on deep voices.

Last edited by Frank_Case; 12th April 2018 at 06:56 PM..
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear
I used a Rode NT1000 for quite a while and was deeply dissatisfied, having also a deep voice.
Later I bought an Oktava MK319 and it was much better.
But recently it died and I had to search something here in Brazil, where we twice overpay for anything. So after a short research I bought a Shure SM27 (!!not SM7 which is dinamic) and it is much better than Rode NT1000, which uses the same capsule as your Rode NT1A.
It is widely known that Rode is generally very bright or even harsh in high range. I'd say, it's even worse: its high range is not only boosted. It is were so, i'd just EQ it down to normal. It is not linear and has a lot of specific saw-looking peaks on every sound, or, literally, rings.
Also, Rode NT1000 is somewhat empty in low-mid range. My deep voice has its main body of formants exactly there, between 300 and 1200 Hz. Oktava MK319 is very good in this range. Shure SM27 is not that beautiful in it, but it has some presense instead of virtually empty space of Rode.
There are, nevertheless some pro's when it comes to Rode. Rode is not noisy and it has a goos bass kick below 120 Hz.
Oktava MK319 has its con's: it is quite a bit more noisy.
Shure SM27 is less "beautiful" than Oktava, but it is definitely less noisy and gives a sound that you can work with.
Old 16th April 2018
Another vote for the EV RE20 over the Rode mic. I owned both when starting out and used the EV mic all the time and the Rode is nice but got little usage. There's a reason you see these mics in almost every radio station in the country. They just sound good on the spoken word right out of the box.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

RE20

It’s going to be able to handle a wide range of voices, and “character voice” type approaches with ease.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Guru

The thing that makes deep voices cut isn't the fundamental, it's the overtones. Put another way, the sawtooth, not the sine. Tubes and transformers help with that.

Example - if you record a quartet with a bass voice (gospel, barbershop, etc) you may find yourself putting the top 3 voices on one mic and the bass on a separate one, right up close, and cutting a lot of low end to help the harmonics cut through. And you may also find that a dynamic mic or a transformerless condenser isn't the ideal tool for that job.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search