The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the last thing you bought that made it 'sound like a record?' Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Cole’s 4038 got me the drum sound I’d always had in my head but could never get. Such detail from cymbals. Can still hear a crash decaying after four bars
Old 15th April 2018
Neumann u67 and N 269c.

It just makes the vocals sit upfront in a mix. All singers i've used it on later said thats how they always imagined my vocal should have sound like.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Any old console. You just got THAT sound, that drums especially. Even without excessive compression.
+1
The sonic integrity you get from tracking everything through one console is a big factor in a recording‘s identity.
No-one ever listened to a classic record and thought „if only they‘d used an API on the snare and a Neve on the kick instead of that Trident...“
Also, with a console I feel I can get away with much more radical EQ on input, it somehow fits together more seamlessly.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
That THIRD margarita!

Just kidding, very interesting thread...

Chris
I am SO surprised you said alcohol before anyone mentioned marijuana.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
+1
The sonic integrity you get from tracking everything through one console is a big factor in a recording‘s identity.
No-one ever listened to a classic record and thought „if only they‘d used an API on the snare and a Neve on the kick instead of that Trident...“
Also, with a console I feel I can get away with much more radical EQ on input, it somehow fits together more seamlessly.
Not to mention using console inputs as a limiters - pushing them a little, and suddenly all percussive sounds have more weight, and everything glues together better then ever.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Honestly, getting my room treated properly made me get to a finished sound. And quicker.
Absolutely true...
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

A hardware compressor.

I've only ever used software compressors (and I own all the good stuff) and a couple of months ago I invested in an API and was truly gobsmacked..all I could think was why the hell didn't I get one of these earlier?

I'm sorry, but it's just a whole different ball game using a decent hardware comp..mixing is easier, faster and everything just sounds better.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

One alcohol in the hand, is worth 2 marijuanas in the... Well you know what I mean Bushman.

Chris
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
One alcohol in the hand, is worth 2 marijuanas in the... Well you know what I mean Bushman.

Chris
But I will pretend to know NOTHING... “Whatchou talkin’ ‘bout, chessparov?”
Old 16th April 2018
Rented a Manley Massive Passive EQ and Vari Mu for a couple weeks while we attempted our hand at mastering. They both took the recordings to a new level immediately on the Master Buss. After recording over 50 tunes, mostly ITB with Nebula and some outboard preamps, it was so interesting to see how our ears had adjusted to the "digital" sound" and the benefits of actual transformers/tubes in making them "sound like a record".

Still need to turn them over to a professional mastering engineer with experience.

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 21st April 2018 at 05:10 AM..
Old 16th April 2018
flatwound bass strings
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Studer 269, just great!
To further explain my rather short post, I recorded a band through console and outboarding preamps.
Then I mixed in ITB, just being lazy not wanting to change any (preamp) settings on the console.
Now I switched to summing just 8 Tracks (3 Stereo Busses (Drums,Guitars & the rest), Bass and Vox) on the console.
The effect was clearly audible. Somehow a little compression, some "EQ" is going on. A little flattening of transients while still adding a little specific punch and the typical "EQ curve" of the console was added. The reverbs and Delays are getting more audible,too.

Everything simply seems to fall a little better into place than ITB. Plus its adding a little shine, depth & plasticity.
Old 16th April 2018
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
flatwound bass strings
Tapewound bass strings.

Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Tapewound bass strings.

Wow, haven’t heard that since the early ‘70s.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

"Whatchou talkin' 'bout Willis"
Chris
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear
Bought the Soundtoys Bundle a few months ago, played with some settings and accidentally found the perfect wall of guitar delay sound for the track I was working on.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Try BIG transformers.
This one is a little bit limited in HF response, but

Attached Thumbnails
What's the last thing you bought that made it 'sound like a record?'-transfomer.jpg  
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
This one is a little bit limited in HF response, but

It would take a lot of real estate to get 24 channels of those babies hooked up.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
It would take a lot of real estate to get 24 channels of those babies hooked up.
It's the only reason Neve doesn't put them in their consoles. But amazing headroom though...up to +120dBU!
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

They were used on the AC/DC High Voltage album!

Chris
Old 20th April 2018
But you'll need four guys to crank the gain knob
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Tomorrow is...

RECORD STORE DAY!!

Chris
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
But you'll need four guys to crank the gain knob
You don’t need four people. You just need the proper gearing on your knobs. This is Gearslutz.
Old 21st April 2018
Still own an MCI 16 Track tape deck that we fired it up last weekend with the help of an old Mackie 16 channel and Cubase with just a bit of Waves WLM Plus limiting. My reference for sounding "like a record" will always be tape, including a lot of the great plugins and gear that emulate some of its better characteristics. I'll, no doubt, run out of 2" tape or it will require fixing beyond my skill and pocketbook.

Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Louder Then Liftoff Silver Bullet.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff spicoli View Post
just bought and sold mine. absolute rubbish. yep, I was hyped and swindled into it... ala gearslutz -oh we like him cuz he cool does did dat dun do hey ha 'silver bullet in a box he ok to spam it and spam it real goood. crap.
Sometimes a post gets me curious enough to look at a few others by the same person. In this case, lots of the same in a very brief span. I'd stay in this evening if I were you.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear
Have you noticed that “report” isn’t working in this thread? Not that there’s anyone just pleading to be reported.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Have you noticed that “report” isn’t working in this thread? Not that there’s anyone just pleading to be reported.
Actually no, I hadn't noticed. I'll hit that button once in a while if I think a thread might be better served in a different forum. But I don't see the point in tattling when Street Justice is more effective and more fun.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Addict

last thing i bought that made it sound better was

some good weed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search