The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Project dac s2 Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
They are no longer for sale what I know and it is an older design, which does not mean it's worse for that. One I talked to says that the Mytek 192 DSD Stereo has a bigger bottom.

I would have liked that the Pro ject S2 does not turn off loudspeakers when using headphones at the same time.
Any cure for that?

Is it the same with Dx7s?

Otherwise I'm happy

Dx7s would be interesting to test
DX7s has dac mode (Just line out) HP mode (Just Headphone) and DAC + HP mode (combo).
Old 10th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Since this is a simple ESS DAC to opamp I/V and filter design I used some Chip-Quik and swapped the four OPA1612's to Analog Devices ADA4898-2's.
Hi Jim Williams,
It's a most interesting mod of the DX7S. Thinking of further swapping OPAs to improve sound quality, what do you think of four Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5, considered the best discrete opamp, which is compatible with the OPA1612?
Old 10th December 2018
Good luck fitting any though hole opamps onto those tiny SOIC pads. Yes, Brown Dog makes some adaptors but having those stuck up into the air with little support is going to be an assembly nightmare.

One other note: The Topping headphone amp circuit is a POS. It really is horrible. The S2 doesn't have that issue. I have to use one of my current feedback headphone amps with the Topping. Then the sound matches the line out sonics.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Jim speaks the truth. It's a badass little box. Very impressive given the price. I'm using mine with Monoprice M1060 planar headphones and it's the best sound I've ever heard come through a pair of headphones in my lifetime. When paired with my Sennheiser HD600's, however, it left a little to be desired compared to the headphone out of my MOTU 8A. But with the M1060's it slays the MOTU. I love the little remote it comes with.

I have yet to try it with speakers yet, because I'm so enamored with it as a little headphone amp. But the sound is noticeably more detailed, alive, and higher resolution than what's coming out the MOTU 8A. And I thought that thing sounded good.

Jim - I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for headphone amps to pair with this for the HD600's? Would the Schiit Magni 3 be your pick?

Brad
Get the new JDS Labs Atom. Only $99 and their best headphone amp yet and the specs are insane. Comparable to the new THX headphone amps.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear
Is there a comparable Topping DAC without headphone amp? I see some builders on Ebay who will build nice DAC's with the Pro version of the 9038 chip too.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear
Wonder if this would better the DX7? Finished Hi-end ES9038PRO DAC /Decoder with Amanero XMOS USB card + Remote | eBay

Different Opamps can be used etc.
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Guru

I differ from Jim's opinion a little bit, I think the DX7S has a great headphone amp.

However I'm sure I don't have near as much experience with them. I've never owned a high end separate phone amp, I'd like to.

It's better than most recording interfaces, the DX7S
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I differ from Jim's opinion a little bit, I think the DX7S has a great headphone amp.

However I'm sure I don't have near as much experience with them. I've never owned a high end separate phone amp, I'd like to.

It's better than most recording interfaces, the DX7S
It's not that I don't think the amp in the DX7 will be any good, I just don't believe it will come close to the JDS labs Atom and I will definitely be getting one of those, even though it does not have balanced inputs of a balanced headphone output. I'm hoping JDS will do a version with balanced inputs though.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear
It seems the D50 measures even better than the discontinued DX7 and DX7s. Also seen this, which is not balanced (like the D50) but is same price with headphone amp and Pro version of the chip. Hifime UDA38Pro DAC (ES9038Pro + SA9227)

This is the cheapest DAC I've found with the 9038PRO DAC and it has a a "proper" PSU too. HiFi DSD XMOS ES9038PRO Asynchronous USB Decoder DAC Desktop Amplifier For PC With Headphone Jack-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited by Mr Funk; 11th December 2018 at 02:06 PM..
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandal View Post
DX7s has dac mode (Just line out) HP mode (Just Headphone) and DAC + HP mode (combo).
So I could run headphones and my subpac at the same time on the dx7s? I'm buying one if I'm reading that right!
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by solveforq View Post
So I could run headphones and my subpac at the same time on the dx7s? I'm buying one if I'm reading that right!
yeah you could use the line out for the sub pac at the same time as the headphone amp

I just want someone to buy this haha
Old 19th December 2018
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Guru

I am fully adjusted to working on the Topping DX7s at this point and I find it wonderful to live with day in and day out.

There was a small learning curve but it's a great DAC.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

S2 wins for the TV room. The modified DX7S wins in the studio.
After your recommendation, I´ve bought the S2 out of curiosity last summer and enjoyed using it with my mobile rig.
Yesterday I integrated it into my summing chain with a Mutec MC-6 and a lake People d.i. with LL1539s.
Very open sounding and a nice additional colour along with my trusty old 8x192 !
Old 24th January 2019
My modified Topping is now collecting dust. It is a filter. It removes some hf transient information the other DAC's here don't. It is easily heard. It might be the bee's knee's for overproduced Pro Tools mixes. Anyone want to buy it? $500 with the remote too.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
My modified Topping is now collecting dust. It is a filter. It removes some hf transient information the other DAC's here don't. It is easily heard. It might be the bee's knee's for overproduced Pro Tools mixes. Anyone want to buy it? $500 with the remote too.
Hi Jim.

When you made your mod you said...

"Since this is a simple ESS DAC to opamp I/V and filter design I used some Chip-Quik and swapped the four OPA1612's to Analog Devices ADA4898-2's. The top end opened up nicely, like the super tweeter was switched back on. The ADA opamp slew rate is near 60V/us. The low end gained bass energy and depth, an attribute of that ADA high current opamp. Now the acoustic music tracks sound right. Bells and cymbals are water clear and lightning fast through AMT tweeters. This works much better now for me".

This made it sound like you'd cured the high end issue, but with living with it for longer you have concluded the mod did not quite do enough, is that right?

I wonder if the standard D50 would suffer from the same shortfalls as the DX7s, as this is meant to be the best of the Topping's from what others have said.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Thank you for the recommendation, Jim Williams. The Project S2 exceeded my expectations.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
ahhh go on then Jim - what replaced it in the studio?
Old 7th February 2019
Another S2, I have 3 here now. Careful comparisons of high end acoustic CD's made it obvious that the Topping was removing sonic information. My own stuff and my collection of MA CD's made the differences easily heard at 384k sample rates.

The Topping would probably be a better fit playing Rolling Stones CD's than any jazz, roots or classical stuff. Anyone want it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search