The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bae 1073/neve 1073/stam 1073
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
My understanding is that even though it is essentially the same transformer it is not made by Carnhill. This video is for the 500 series version, but shows what I had been told by numerous people.
The rack versions use Carnhill I think.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
yes but if you had to keep only one what one would you choose
If money were no object then probably the BAE. But money is an object so in reality I would keep the Stam. You can get two channels of Stam for less than the price of one channel of BAE. I like the BAE maybe 1% more.
Old 6th June 2018
Lives for gear

Update on my end: I got a pair of SA-73 (not the stereo rack unit, but the desktop units) with carnhill transformers in today and they sound great! Lots of character, but still clear and also extremely flattering for vocals because they have such a smooth (I hate to use a buzzword, but "silky") top end character and they also seem to have a very forgiving breakup. On some neve style preamps, my voice can very suddenly clip a preamp on hard consonants in an unpleasant way, or be on the sibilant side, but these are not doing either of those things.

I haven't gotten too much time with them, yet, but they certainly made a very striking first impression. I'll be testing them on guitars, bass, and synths over the next few days/week. I have a strong feeling they will hold up well to anything.
Old 6th June 2018
I decided to pre order the stam 1073/EQ,
I can compare it to what I own and see how it holds up.
I have a positive feeling about it in general:-)
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear

Bad customer service!!!!!

I cannot stress enough what horrible customer service Stam Audio provides! I asked them a question via email, and I got a response that had practically nothing to do with my question. Then, when I asked for clarification, there was radio silence!!! I have been waiting for five days now (their website emphasizes, and I quote, "we aim to respond within 24 hours"), and they have yet to give me the courtesy of a response...which is only a number! What, it take about 3 seconds to type a price and hit send??? This is BS. I would much rather buy a 1073 clone for $200-$400 MORE from a company that will provide excellent customer service and that will provide the piece of mind that they will respond when I have any question or issue with a product, a purchase or a technical issue related to gear.

I can't attest to how good their gear sounds, because: 1) I've never used it; and 2) I obviously won't ever use it because they seem to not be interested in selling their gear to begin with!

Not a good way to set the tone!!!
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimamusic View Post
I cannot stress enough what horrible customer service Stam Audio provides! I asked them a question via email, and I got a response that had practically nothing to do with my question. Then, when I asked for clarification, there was radio silence!!! I have been waiting for five days now (their website emphasizes, and I quote, "we aim to respond within 24 hours"), and they have yet to give me the courtesy of a response...which is only a number! What, it take about 3 seconds to type a price and hit send??? This is BS. I would much rather buy a 1073 clone for $200-$400 MORE from a company that will provide excellent customer service and that will provide the piece of mind that they will respond when I have any question or issue with a product, a purchase or a technical issue related to gear.

I can't attest to how good their gear sounds, because: 1) I've never used it; and 2) I obviously won't ever use it because they seem to not be interested in selling their gear to begin with!

Yep, I haven't heard back from them on a couple of my inquiries this week either. I'm guessing that they bit off more than they can chew by rolling out more new products than they currently have the capacity to build/sell, so they are just absolutely buried in work right now. Great sounding gear though, and you'll be paying a lot more than $200-$400 more for something of comparable sound quality.
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimamusic View Post

Do not bother them with a lot of mail, they are busy copying others.
Old 8th June 2018
Ultimately this is the problem with Stam Audio. They make products better than anything else in their price category, but their communication and release dates suck.
Old 9th June 2018
I send them my questions on the Stam Audio Facebook page or Instagram and they respond quickly.
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear

I'm sure, working in an artistic field, you've all heard this saying:

Cheap
Good
Fast

Pick 2.
Old 12th June 2018
I already own 2 early Brent Averill 1073/eq’s so that’s what I will be comparing the stam 1073/eq to.
If I don’t hear a sonic difference?
I’m gonna sell the Brent’s and buy two more Stam’s and have a bunch of cash left over lol
I will know in the first 10 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Bae 1073/neve 1073/stam 1073-df96ed08-2d8d-41cd-a84f-49d030dd9965.jpg  
Old 6th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
I wonder if his stam was the carnhill or the sowter version.

I should be getting my pair of carnhill stams this week. I don't have a BAE, but can compare them to the WA273EQ, a heritage elite, and GAP MkIII with Zenpro mod and carnhills.

I do also have the stereo rackmount stam mk II with sowters on order. When that will arrive...I dunno. But I will also look forward to testing that vs everything else.
I’d love to hear that comparison. Did the Stam arrive?
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
I’d love to hear that comparison. Did the Stam arrive?
Yep, I have the Mark I 73s with Carnhills. The Mk II should be coming pretty soon as well, hopefully. I am guessing sometime in September.

I can try doing a comparison over the weekend on guitar cab. Maybe I can do mid side with something else used for the side mic pre (I don't have 2 of all of them).
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Head
We recently finished building out a studio for a very discerning songwriter, whom I write with frequently. In his input rack are 2 BAE 1023's so, I've used the BAE 1073. Right now, we're seriously considering ordering the 2 channel STAM 1073. The Sowter Transformer is tempting, myself, I love the way the carnhill's sound. Having also used older Vintech X73's, 473's, modded GA stuff, also an older Vintech Dual 72. I've also used the Telefunken stereo DI which is equipped with carnhill transformers, I will say this much, the BAE is my preference over everything else I have used, which uses carnhill.

Supposedly, BAE even sourced the original maker of the wire which NEVE used, and as we know, the wire used could has an effect on the sound. Good cables sound better than standard cabling, wire/cables-To quote Nigel Tufnel-"It's the same, only different."

Hearing a lot of buzz about STAM Audio. Off topic. We just ordered the STAM SA-76ADF because, we love the 1176. I'm familiar with versions A, and D so, we'll hear what the buzz is all about. Patiently waiting. For the price, we could not resist checking one out.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Any news about Stam 1073 clones, more tests ? Thx
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

any updates on this? now that the heritage elite and aml are popular (and warm seem much less so), haven't heard as much on the stam, but anyone able to speak to how the stam compare to the others?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search