The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tc electronic 2290 delay
Old 11th March 2019
Deleted df98c51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
THE HYPE IS DESERVED.
Yes it is.

The proper physical gear makes all the difference.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Guru

Well, this is a fun thread.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

As if Lexicon didn't want to progress from its past glory...by coming up with modern sub par stuff...which I don't think they are with the MX series.
Old 13th March 2019
Get off my thread talking about your junk guitar center clearance gear or goofy troll rants about how many lines of code are in an angel’s fart

I swear to god the number of people here on GS who’ve ever even seen real gear (let alone touched it... and forget about owning it) is gotta be ridiculously small... about as rare as an angel’s fart.

I wish there was a pro-line version of GS where the riff-raff wasn’t allowed to post anywhere but the classified section to sell the stuff they bought on their mom’s credit card before they gave up on music
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
CLASSIC *OLD* TC SILKY TONES!

and plenty of TC2290 here:

Italo de Angelis
How interesting! You’re the cat that sells the 2290 presets... please pm me with details on how to give you $$

If there was a midi patch librarian or way to control the unit via midi it’d be amazing, but, from my understanding the tc brothers never really developed the midi side of the unit
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Get off my thread talking about your junk guitar center clearance gear or goofy troll rants about how many lines of code are in an angel’s fart

I swear to god the number of people here on GS who’ve ever even seen real gear (let alone touched it... and forget about owning it) is gotta be ridiculously small... about as rare as an angel’s fart.

I wish there was a pro-line version of GS where the riff-raff wasn’t allowed to post anywhere but the classified section to sell the stuff they bought on their mom’s credit card before they gave up on music

No sales going on here, just explaining what's the good of a piece of "real gear" you apparently still haven't touched after 30+ years. You should be thankful for the listening links... and understand that good digital DSP based gear (not the TC2290 as it's made on discrete hardware parts) runs on code, millions of lines... which make it good.
The TC2290 isn't for you, like any other piece of early digital delays legends as their won't be part of your "modern workflow"... using a plugin might be your best way to go... and sound plastic like most music sounds these days.
But you are right ... "I swear to god the number of people here on GS who’ve ever even seen real gear"... as you apparently haven't had any idea about using/owning or touching a TC2290 in 30+ years.

Last edited by italo de angelis; 13th March 2019 at 08:53 AM..
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
No sales going on here, just explaining what's the good of a piece of "real gear" you apparently still haven't touched after 30+ years. You should be thankful for the listening links... and understand that good digital DSP based gear (not the TC2290 as it's made on discrete hardware parts) runs on code, millions of lines... which make it good.
The TC2290 isn't for you, like any other piece of early digital delays legends as their won't be part of your "modern workflow"... using a plugin might be your best way to go... and sound plastic like most music sounds these days.
But you are right ... "I swear to god the number of people here on GS who’ve ever even seen real gear"... as you apparently haven't had any idea about using/ownig or touching a TC2290 in 30+ years.
Couple of things...

First off... I own a 2290... with the footboard and everything... I even started this thread

Secondly, I was being serious about buying your presets... I found your website a year or so ago but couldn’t figure out where to hit the buy button

Thirdly, your reading comprehension is awful and seem more than a bit full of yourself .. I’m hoping it’s just a translation problem
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

To be honest, I don't find any of these reverb boxes too mind blowing the way I found the Vermona VSR 3.2 Spring Reverb much more interesting. It's probably because it's standalone REVERB and specialized and specific (i.e. "Spring Reverb", no fillers, etc.). The rest of the reverb boxes talked about here (although not all of them) seem like they're a multi effect box than a dedicated reverb box.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

For me, the test of any piece of gear, is what happens when I... or a client... play thru it, or...

What happens to a recording when I mix thru it.

This all started with the first of two H9's. A lot of the presets are over the top... seemingly too wet to be useable, "as is."

I was slogging thru the list, running the app, tweaking the "knobs" to find out what each one did, in the context of That Patch, getting "none", "a touch", "just right", and "a bit more than I ever expect to need", via an expression pedal, and though it was a useful exercise...

...it sucked.

Building, running, and maintaining a studio is a LOT of WORK. I doubt I will ever enjoy "soldering bad cable" days... as much as when, alone, or with friends/clients... The Groove enters the room, takes over, and takes us to places we never even thought of before. Soldering has its zen... but it ain't The Lightning.

Neither is tweaking preset number 37, out of 100.

Anyways...along came this great idea. Instead of tweaking another 60 odd presets, then on to the next box, repeatedly, till all 4 rooms worth are "finished"... how about trying to MAKE MUSIC, with this one patch... AS IS?

I got lost in that wormhole.

Still in there, today.

It's a pretty kewl place.

Its a LOT closer to why I began building a studio... than "take it to the next level" manu horse ****.

Or marketing funnels.

Or website coding.

Or, or, or...

And now... instead of 4 rooms worth of stuff I have to fix... or earn money to replace, since a lot of it isn't Fully Pro in the eyes of "experts" who want my credit card number.. I have entire universes to explore.

And money accumulating.

Along with music that I am proud of, and that STILL moves me when I pull it up.

There's a couple of MX-200s here. An M7. A NanoVerb. A Peavey Dual DeltaFex that I really love the sound of, on a practice rig, that needs to come apart, so I can hang the Peavey in the CR and really take advantage of that sound. An LA2a. A TC Helicon VoiceWorks with a PHENOMENAL verb in it.

A WHOLE BUNCH of software. Freebies AND expensive stuff.

And this has altered my gear acquisition process as well. The #2 electric guitar rig floorboard went from a "near perfect" selection of The Standards... to the shedding of half the pedals I never really enjoyed... the cash from which purchased a few devices I REALLY ENJOYED PLAYING THRU, in the store.

The warehouse fulla "obsolete" rack gear I work at 40 hours a week... along with the stacks and stacks of gear that the band owner I crew for owns and wants to unload ... have largely lost their lustre for me.

Except for two pieces, a D2, and a Roland synth module, which I'll be picking up soon. When I watch the Youtube vids for those two, I can't really tell if they have higher or lower specs than their competitors. I DO think up new and interesting music I want to play thru them.

Its not about "more gear" any more. Not about "the next level".

Instead, it's about the hours and days I'm going to engineer, no matter what obstacles arise, where its just me, that box, and the sounds I can wring out of it.

I like it here.

Life is good!

How bout you?

:-)
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbox View Post
To be honest, I don't find any of these reverb boxes too mind blowing the way I found the Vermona VSR 3.2 Spring Reverb much more interesting. It's probably because it's standalone REVERB and specialized and specific (i.e. "Spring Reverb", no fillers, etc.). The rest of the reverb boxes talked about here (although not all of them) seem like they're a multi effect box than a dedicated reverb box.
Omg you guys... it’s bad enough enough when y’all we’re talking about your Kmart delay boxes... at least they were delays... now reverbs?
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

The cheap stuff has its place. The expensive stuff has its place. They're all just tools, different shades to paint with. Creative people can find a use for anything. Dave Fridmann swears by the Midiverb II. Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest is a gorgeous sounding album that uses a Boss reverb pedal for a lot of the reverb. All of the producers and mixers I look up to, folks who have access to the greatest gear on the planet, have a soft spot for some weird little cheap box here or there. And it's because they know the important thing is not the gear itself but rather what can be done with it. This thread obviously got sidetracked (like most GS threads that go beyond one page), but the resulting bickering and snobbery feels incredibly shortsighted to me.

To those who aren't willing to try something out just because it's cheap or not reputable, I don't think you're having enough fun doing what you do.
Old 24th March 2019
Quote:
How interesting! You’re the cat that sells the 2290 presets... please pm me with details on how to give you $$

If there was a midi patch librarian or way to control the unit via midi it’d be amazing, but, from my understanding the tc brothers never really developed the midi side of the unit
It’s called sysex dude. And when you say “real” gear precisely what do you mean? I’m pretty sure I’ve made records with MCI, Amek, and SSL consoles to 2” tape using amazing outboard and effects to do it....I feel like IVE used...and still own...some pretty amazing gear. This post makes you sound kind of like the “get off my lawn” type.
Sorry. Dropping truth here.
Old 24th March 2019
Deleted df98c51
When I was saying TC is mediocre , its nice quality.

So is the Boss VF-1 , I don't know. Some people like them. The VF-1 does a really great LoFi bitcrunch effect. It is a low quaity effect that is useable because it sounds low quality. I would not look for those sounds in an Eventide machine.

The VF-1 is a 24 bit processor. I didn't mean to dis' it that hard. It has lots packed into it. Probably more than a ProGT. Microphone simulator, Vocoder, etc. RSS effects have the extra parameter in the algorithm.

TC G Major are 2 lines of delay in the algo like the MPX-1.

The 2290 is a better TC delay.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone here mess with eurorack reverb products? Are these even for studio use or just synths?
Old 30th March 2019
Quote:
It’s called sysex dude. And when you say “real” gear precisely what do you mean? I’m pretty sure I’ve made records with MCI, Amek, and SSL consoles to 2” tape using amazing outboard and effects to do it....I feel like IVE used...and still own...some pretty amazing gear. This post makes you sound kind of like the “get off my lawn” type.
Sorry. Dropping truth here.
I shall drop some truth of my own... you doth protest too much, I wasn’t talking to you... but, if the shoe fits

In digging around, it was my understanding that the TC didn’t respond to typical Sysex dumping and commands, but, if you’re saying different from experience, cool
Old 30th March 2019
Quote:
Anyone here mess with eurorack reverb products? Are these even for studio use or just synths?
Wrong thread
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Maniac

So eurorack reverbs aren't used for like the ones mentioned in this thread?

Quote:
Wrong thread
Old 29th April 2019
Quote:
If you want a proper spring reverb, find local classifieds selling broken combo amps for nothing, give it a little kick and if it makes a “springy” sound, take it off his hands and yank the spring box.

I’ll be happy to teach you how to make nice buffered I/O to the outside world and some very nice jfet drivers for the spring itself, and then the makeup gain circuit.

$25-50, 2 hours of time, fantastic large tank reverb.
Old 29th April 2019
Quote:
I shall drop some truth of my own... you doth protest too much, I wasn’t talking to you... but, if the shoe fits

In digging around, it was my understanding that the TC didn’t respond to typical Sysex dumping and commands, but, if you’re saying different from experience, cool
Mea Culpa.

I wasn’t paying attention to whom you were speaking and just went off on that little rant. As for SysEx implementation, you’re correct it’s not awesome but you can dump....as for actually controlling parameters, pretty sure that’s a no-go.

http://www.tc2290.com/docs/2290_sysex.pdf
Old 30th April 2019
Quote:
Mea Culpa.

I wasn’t paying attention to whom you were speaking and just went off on that little rant. As for SysEx implementation, you’re correct it’s not awesome but you can dump....as for actually controlling parameters, pretty sure that’s a no-go.

http://www.tc2290.com/docs/2290_sysex.pdf
I know! That sucks a roony
📝 Reply