The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tom microphone choices Dynamic Microphones
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
The floor tom is always the odd man out. It gets whatever good mic your not using on anything else! I prefer Toms have at least 3 preferably 4 of the same mic for the effect of panned toms, not including the floor(s). Then snare type mic's for the high toms.
I've thought about this, using the same mic on 3-4 toms. I think the small condensers would work, the Beta 98/lav style mics, they have enough low end for any tom, I believe.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

What's this D50 you use on kick? Is it for click, or is it more like a traditional bass drum mic?
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear
THe D50, its the top of the line old AKG stereo dynamic mic. step up from the D25 and D30

I just picked up some odd ball old mic for kick drum that takes 165 SPL, but very low sensativity. SDC.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
THe D50, its the top of the line old AKG stereo dynamic mic. step up from the D25 and D30

I just picked up some odd ball old mic for kick drum that takes 165 SPL, but very low sensativity. SDC.
Cool, I can't even find a pic of one, but I did find the D35. I have an Astatic harp mic that's super low sensitivity, to the point that I very seriously thought it was broken when I got it. I'm gonna try it on snare and kick.

AKG has a few oddballs I like, mostly discontinued recent stuff, 80s and newer.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just using 57's these days on toms for my drums...sometimes a 52 on the 16" floor. Straight into an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt and sounds good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've used MD421 mics on toms for years. They sound good but the bleed from cymbals sounds absolutely horrible and they need to be gated. A couple weeks ago I bought some ATM230 mics. They are easily one of the best sounding tom mics and are super inexpensive. Built very solid. They have a bigger and clearer sound than the 421's. I can definately recommend them. $350 for a three pack is an insane deal. I might get different sounds from other tom mics but the ATM230 stands on its own as one of the very best. Very little EQ is needed (unlike MD421 or SM57).
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

If i was you, i would keep the e604. They are fine. Tom mics are spot mics and contribute to the sound to a lesser degree than snare, bassdrum or overhead mics. i own 5 m201, one m88, two m69, 1 re 20 and still the e604 are good enough for me. Previously i had the little akg condensors clip on tom mics from 15 years ago and they were sounding like unnatural crap and had a nasty bleed. Maybe you find something else to spend your money for with a bigger impact. If you compare a good balsamico to a bad one the difference is night and day but if you compare extra virgin olive oils the difference is much more subtle. Buy something that makes a big difference!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyone try a JZ-GTR 1?
JJ
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I like cad e100 on the racks and old 421 on floors cad got a nice pop quick
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
The floor tom is always the odd man out. It gets whatever good mic your not using on anything else! I prefer Toms have at least 3 preferably 4 of the same mic for the effect of panned toms, not including the floor(s). Then snare type mic's for the high toms.
I love floor toms. They always get a great mic in my studio! ATM25 or CAD M179 rock the house for me. I don't own a Beyer M88 but am happy with the M201 for rack toms but I've got multiple ATM25s and M179s. I only use a 2 tom setup. My studio is used more for production than as a commercial space so I get to dictate how many toms get used. If it was good enough for Ringo etc....

Tony
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ringo is the man...

Every time I see 27 mics on a "high end" drum kit I say "WTF"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Ringo is the man...

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Ringo is the man...

The 60s version of 27 mics on the kit...

Last edited by dylanwissing; 1 week ago at 02:18 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can always use Elam 251 if there are some available. .
Attached Thumbnails
Tom microphone choices-screen-shot-2018-05-15-8.31.30-pm.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Holy $%!&, $10,000 per tom. Now go mic up a bozzio kit!, that will cost 0.5 million dollars! Oh, and you only get to use USB converters.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post

Quote:
Holy $%!&, $10,000 per tom. Now go mic up a bozzio kit!, that will cost 0.5 million dollars! Oh, and you only get to use USB converters.
That's from his instructional video. I think the toms and stereo overs are Elam 251s on that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The last couple of drummers in my studio used only two toms - one rack and one floor - so I tried using AKG C414B-ULS mics on them, and have love them there. I only have two of them though - don't know what I'll do if someone racks up another tom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
The last couple of drummers in my studio used only two toms - one rack and one floor - so I tried using AKG C414B-ULS mics on them, and have love them there. I only have two of them though - don't know what I'll do if someone racks up another tom.
This is Gearslutz, the answer is buy another 414.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
place the mic in-between the two rack toms, or the two floor toms however the kit is set up. The whole toms-marching-from-speaker-to-speaker thing is so last century, anyway. For me, point of a tom mic is to grab some oomph from close up, not so much to place the tom in the stereo field. The overheads will do that to a certain extent regardless. I got into the habit of toms sharing mics back when I had a lot of metal bands with huge kits. By using one mic per pair of toms, I got what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
This is Gearslutz, the answer is buy another 414.
OMG you're right.

What was I thinking?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Haha cool. They seem to have gotten more expensive since i bought mine hmmm. I do have an XLS i can try also, but it sounds a little different

I have them set in hypercardioid pointed at the center of each tom, and i was thinking that was necessary for the sound and the rejection i like, but i confess i haven't tried other polar patterns or positions. I will
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search