The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Could you Mix a Song with the following? Summing Mixers
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Could you Mix a Song with the following?

Hi guy's, here's an interesting question for you.

As I'm setting the guidelines, I'll make the rules for the situation

If you were forced to Mix a Song (a Pop/Country/R&B Song) with just (1) Avantone Active MixCube and a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's, could you do it?

I welcome all replies, and for the Professionals who reply, how much longer do you think it would take than if you had your usual Monitors?

30 minutes, an hour, two hours, half a day, all day, and so on and so on?

This is a one time only situation, as I'm confident if you Mixed for a while with the given setup, I'm sure the time would be shorter once you learned the Monitors and Headphones.

Amateur time estimates are welcome as well, but I'm using the professionals first because to them, time is money, whereas to us non-professionals, it's not quite so important.

Regardless, the question is the same, and that is if you were forced to Mix a Song with just (1) Avantone Active MixCube and a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's, could you do it, and lastly, would it be a good Mix?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Old 14th March 2018
Sure.

Spotify Web Player - Borrowed & Blue - Morgan Joanel

I mixed this not long after I’d arrived in Australia, purely on HD600s. Yes I had genelecs with me, but the room I was working in had genuine notes in the low end, so whilst I used the speakers during the production, the mix was entirely on the HD600s.

Yes - I referenced it in studios as I passed through and made notes, but every decision was made in headphones.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post

If you were forced to Mix a Song (a Pop/Country/R&B Song) with just (1) Avantone Active MixCube and a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's, could you do it?

I welcome all replies, and for the Professionals who reply, how much longer do you think it would take than if you had your usual Monitors?

This is a one time only situation, as I'm confident if you Mixed for a while with the given setup, I'm sure the time would be shorter once you learned the Monitors and Headphones.

Amateur time estimates are welcome as well, but I'm using the professionals first because to them, time is money, whereas to us non-professionals, it's not quite so important.

Regardless, the question is the same, and that is if you were forced to Mix a Song with just (1) Avantone Active MixCube and a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's, could you do it, and lastly, would it be a good Mix?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
You could mix a song only on £5 earbuds if you wanted...

My question would be: Why would you want to?

I know you've been asking a lot of questions about monitor purchases and listening environments. Don't limit yourself, try to set up your listening environment as best you can. If you don't it will just take longer to mix, and require lots of external referencing in other environments to reveal all the mix elements your limited system cannot. It's a no-brainer to me.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Hi dights

Either I'm getting to be an old, jaded fart (or possibly wiser), but I've found that the answer to nine out of ten questions always has money that's involved somewhere

So the answer is my money situation.

Without boring you too much, my older brother and I are now involved in a lawsuit against my younger brother and older sister whom we had trusted to manage my family's money/holdings since 1978.

My dad died 10 years ago, and my mom died in 2013, and once she died, I NEVER saw two people change in one day as they did.

Turns out dad had set up a trust for us (my younger brother is the custodian of the trust), but they never told us of its existence (they said we never asked), and they set up everything else in mom and their two names, so when mom died, because of Alabama's laws, everything goes to the survivors whose names are on any accounts/holdings my mom had, and guess who that is?

By the grace of God, my sister NEVER throws away anything, and we found in my mom's house papers that showed a paper trail of how they did their crimes (they even had my grandmother's will that was supposedly signed before she died at 99 years old while in the hospital), but it turns out that the signature was so perfect, and her eyesight was so perfect, that she signed it as if she was 50 again, even having eyesight so good that she curved her signature around a notary's seal mark of my sisters best friend (the will was never probated, btw).

We had one of the states top signature analysts look at the signature on the will (as well as other documents), and after comparing the "signatures" on several important documents with examples of my grandmother's signatures going back over several decades, he laughed at the will's signature (something about loss of the control of a pen that elderly people have, not to mention the writing around the seal), and he concluded which signatures were fake (the important documents) and which ones weren't.

Please note that proof of embezzlement, as well as my dad's trust papers were found as well, and when our attorney saw them, he went even more ballistic (as far as attorneys go ballistic).

I tell my older brother that unfortunately it's our fault we trusted them, and he says you're supposed to be able to trust your siblings, so how's it our fault?

Regardless, back to my motives about my gearslutz Thread, and I think the reason I told you my story is because I have to get it out of my system, and I'm really talking to myself

Money has to be used wisely until this gets settled, so as my older brother and I are allocating most of our money to keep up my mom's 13,000 s/f house that he and my family live in, I'm just asking if I buy a single Avantone for now, can I get a good Mix out of it and my headphones?

Please note that none of the above is even relevant to the discussion, but trust me when I say I have many days where I just want to give up, and I'm surprised that music has any importance in my current situation, so sometimes I'm not thinking logically about buying gear, hence my constant questions about monitors and listening environments

Jerry
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Andrew Scheps has mixed on his laptop with headphones. I know he's a master mixer, but it's possible and there's hope for us folks who can only afford budget gear.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi dights

Either I'm getting to be an old, jaded fart (or possibly wiser), but I've found that the answer to nine out of ten questions always has money that's involved somewhere

Without boring you too much, my older brother and I are now involved in a lawsuit against my younger brother and older sister whom we had trusted to manage my family's money/holdings since 1978.

My dad died 10 years ago, and my mom died in 2013, and once she died, I NEVER saw two people change in one day as they did.

Turns out dad had set up a trust for us (my younger brother is the custodian of the trust), but they never told us of its existence (they said we never asked), and they set up everything else in mom and their two names, so when mom died, because of Alabama's laws, everything goes to the survivors whose names are on any accounts/holdings my mom had, and guess who that is?

By the grace of God, my sister NEVER throws away anything, and we found in my mom's house papers that showed a paper trail of how they did their crimes (they even had my grandmother's will that was supposedly signed before she died at 99 years old while in the hospital), but it turns out that the signature was so perfect, and her eyesight was so perfect, that she signed it as if she was 50 again, even having eyesight so good that she curved her signature around a notary's seal mark of my sisters best friend (the will was never probated, btw).

We had one of the states top signature analysts look at the signature on the will (as well as other documents), and after comparing the "signatures" on several important documents with examples of my grandmother's signatures going back over several decades, he laughed at the will's signature (something about loss of the control of a pen that elderly people have, not to mention the writing around the seal), and he concluded which signatures were fake (the important documents) and which ones weren't.

Please note that proof of embezzlement, as well as my dad's trust papers were found as well, and when our attorney saw them, he went even more ballistic (as far as attorneys go ballistic).

I tell my older brother that unfortunately it's our fault we trusted them, and he says you're supposed to be able to trust your siblings, so how's it our fault?

Regardless, back to my motives about my gearslutz Thread, and I think the reason I told you my story is because I have to get it out of my system, and I'm really talking to myself

Money has to be used wisely until this gets settled, so as my older brother and I are allocating most of our money to keep up my mom's 13,000 s/f house that he and my family live in, I'm just asking if I buy a single Avantone for now, can I get a good Mix out of it and my headphones?

Please note that none of the above is even relevant to the discussion, but trust me when I say I have many days where I just want to give up, and I'm surprised that music has any importance in my current situation, so sometimes I'm not thinking logically about buying gear, hence my constant questions about monitors and listening environments

Jerry
I was going round the parental home with the valuer this morning (dad died in 2013, mum just before Xmas) as an only child dealing with parental demise I have a kind of latent envy of people with siblings to burden-share, yeah, wow, your story is quite a saga of f*ckedupness, so commiserations and hoping for better times ahead for you and your brother.

The answer to your question is a qualified yes; but you might want to e.g. burn a CD so you can check your mix in your car or the ghettoblaster in the kitchen etc.
Old 14th March 2018
ccg
Gear Maniac

Sure, you can do it. Each mix will take longer probably. Finding a way to check your mixes in at least two different environments would be ideal too. Find a good ME too.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sure.

I mixed this not long after I’d arrived in Australia, purely on HD600s. Yes I had genelecs with me, but the room I was working in had genuine notes in the low end, so whilst I used the speakers during the production, the mix was entirely on the HD600s.

Yes - I referenced it in studios as I passed through and made notes, but every decision was made in headphones.
And to nail the point home...you could put me in the best studio possible and this mix would still be superior to mine.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi dights

Jerry
Damn bro, sorry that you're going through this. I hope it all works out for you.

Honestly, just mix with what you have. Don't stress about it too much. More important things to worry about. Make music, and hang in there.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure.

Hi A

As I already knew you had HD600's, I was hoping you could answer my question on another Thread about headphone amps, but answering it here is fine

Do you use a headphone amp, if so, which one, and do you thing one is necessary for the HD600's?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure.

PS

Wow A, that IS a GREAT Mix!!!!!
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi dights

Jerry
Sounds like you need a lawyer rather than monitors at this point.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Sounds like you need a lawyer rather than monitors at this point.

Definitely (we have one), but I'm at the point in my life that I feel, and I know now, that time is running out for me and my music dreams with every second that passes :(
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Wow. It’s true, I’ve seen firsthand and heard from many others that people show their true colors around inheritances and all too often it isn’t pretty. I’m sorry you’re dealing with all of that in addition to the loss of your parents. Ugly all around, but perhaps something you can channel into your art in a healthy way?

I’ll leave the discussion of gear for mixing to others for the most part, as my experience here is so limited as to be basically nonexistent. On my to-do list, though! My sole observation is that as much as I like my HD-600s, they are tight enough to be fatiguing with prolonged use. I would want an alternative not just to test the mix with varying reproduction, but to give my head and ears a break from captivity.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Guru

Wow, Jerry that story is crazy. Good luck with everything.

To answer your actual question, I'm not familiar with either of those transducers, but I would try if that was what was needed. I'd spend some time listening to things I know on both, and then dive in.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamandaSD View Post
And to nail the point home...you could put me in the best studio possible and this mix would still be superior to mine.
Thank you!

Quote:
Hi A

As I already knew you had HD600's, I was hoping you could answer my question on another Thread about headphone amps, but answering it here is fine

Do you use a headphone amp, if so, which one, and do you thing one is necessary for the HD600's?
The above was done on the Avid Omni headphone amp; I now just use the headphone amp on the Apollo, but I rarely have to use it to make critical decisions.

Quote:
PS

Wow A, that IS a GREAT Mix!!!!!
Thanks! I have to say some of these (particularly staring at the sun and 19-2000) are mixes where I wouldn’t want to change much if anything on reflection.

All ITB too minus a mixbuss chain (hammer eq and to-audio comp), plus mastering of course. Good recording room though!
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The above was done on the Avid Omni headphone amp; I now just use the headphone amp on the Apollo, but I rarely have to use it to make critical decisions.

1) Do you mean you use the Avid on the Apollo, or the Apollo's built in headphone amp?
2) Do you mean you rarely use the Avid, or the Apollo's built in headphone amp?
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi dights

Jerry
I'm really sorry to hear that mate. That's crazy and truly awful. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

As I said, you can get a good mix out of just the headphones without the Avantone. For me a reasonable room and a good set of nearfields is a basic requirement, and everything else is additional help.

The Avantone will definitely give you a different perspective on your mixes without having to go elsewhere to reference. Is it actually necessary though?

When I first started out I used to print mixes in my bedroom studio, which wasn't a great room and I only had one set of monitors and a pair of OK headphones. I'd then listen to the mixes on loads of other systems and make notes for tweaks. One of my favourite places to listen for that reference was on a crap Sony hi-fi I had in the living room.

When I went freelance and moved into a pro studio room I actually took the Sony hi-fi speakers and hooked them up to a decent amp as a 3rd reference set. You really wouldn't want to mix on them, but when you flip to them they sound horrible unless the mix is great. Really wooly on transients and the low mids are a nightmare.

Just when I think I'm winning at a mix I'll flip to those and go, "I've got a lot of work to do!"

Good luck mate!
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi dights

Without boring you too much, my older brother and I are now involved in a lawsuit against my younger brother and older sister whom we had trusted to manage my family's money/holdings since 1978.[...]
I always refer to the Judgement of Solomon in these petty inheritance squabbles. Either it's all shared equally or burned in a pile on the back porch.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
1) Do you mean you use the Avid on the Apollo, or the Apollo's built in headphone amp?
2) Do you mean you rarely use the Avid, or the Apollo's built in headphone amp?
I mean I mixed the tracks in question on the Omni’s headphone amp, and now I use the Apollo. I no longer use the Omni.

Both drive the HD600s just fine as far as I can tell. I can even use them with the MacBook audio out - less level there, and I’m not saying it’s as good, but it’s fine for editing - I can hear the detail I need to.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
I would say it's doable. To take it even further, how about Terry Manning's 15 minute deaf mix, where he mixed a multi track song, hearing no audio, but just looking at VU meters?
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

The short answer to the mix question is yes a working/good mix could be done with the equipment listed. Much depends on the user and how confident and comfortable they are mixing that was. If a person learned to only mix under headphones then they'd have problems with open air speakers. However with a bit of patients and persistence you can make world class mixes of anything under headphones. Ever more music is being listened to with head sets as opposed to open speakers. Open speakers will be the exception to the rule at some point in the next few years.

That said I hope the two perpetrators are left high and dry. Family sheesh you can't trust them and you can't kill them............
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Wow. It’s true, I’ve seen firsthand and heard from many others that people show their true colors around inheritances and all too often it isn’t pretty. I’m sorry you’re dealing with all of that in addition to the loss of your parents. Ugly all around, but perhaps something you can channel into your art in a healthy way?
Just in the interest of commiserating, My mom had a stroke that left her bed bound, and my GF was an EMT, so quit her job with health care and moved in with us as Mom could not afford 24/7 home care. Four years later, when she finally passed, my sister and the three stepbrothers colluded to try to force the house to be sold so they could each have $20k. By caring for mom, my now-wife and I invested the market equivalent of $360,000 - the house would have been long gone if we hadn't provided home care for her, and we went to court. We got to keep the house but had to pay them $25k. Turned out my sister and the step bros hated my mother for their own reasons. This is a bunch of born again Christians! I disowned my sister and live happily ever after... so far. Married the GF on 12/12/12! All this over a $100k doublewide. Family sucks bigtime for me, and (fake) Christians too.

Keep going with the music!
Old 16th March 2018
Commiserations to all - but let’s stay on topic now. And avoid all religious talk!
Old 16th March 2018
Do we get one car test? I think I could do it. I imagine the contrast between detailed headphones and a midrange mono speaker would actually work.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

That's what I was thinking as well, but that's why I want to hear from others.

That being said.....................................................................................

It's hard to argue with psycho_monkey's results
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Would go out of my way to get two somewhat matching speakers. That said, mixing on phones is easy, and what people listen on these days.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search