The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LED lighting with dimmers
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

LED lighting with dimmers

I want to light up some rack gear with LED strip lighting. If I buy some cheap dimmers and use those on the same source as my actual gear, will I be in deep doodoo with buzzing/noise?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
I want to light up some rack gear with LED strip lighting. If I buy some cheap dimmers and use those on the same source as my actual gear, will I be in deep doodoo with buzzing/noise?
no there shouldn't be an issue if done correctly.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
no there shouldn't be an issue if done correctly.
How can it be done correctly? I just snap on the little power cable, plug it into the wall wart, then plug the wall wart into my rack's power supply.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Many LEDs aren’t really dimmable via adding a rheostat or similar, so keep that in mind. It’s not really like an incandescent. The range you need control of isn’t going to work with a standard dimmer. Try to make sure your idea can actually work given the hardware.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Head

LED lighting

There are many inexpensive under $200 3 color LED strip lights that can be programmed on a DMX light board. Many of these have built in control and you can master slave in a Daisy chain. I have a few I put behind racks and in the live room on walls. When you add a SCR dimmer you can get noise especially if on the same 20amp circuit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search