The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what's the purpose of a summing mixer
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewlove View Post
Hi thanks, McNewlove here. I am very interested in the DIYRE SB2 but my head is swelling with confusion over it. My current front end set up consists of my microphone going straight into the preamp of my SPL Crimson 3. the Crimson of course has two mic pres. I am wondering, with this set up, can I add the SB2 or do I need extra gear? I read somewhere that I need two step-up mic pres and at least 8 monitor outputs? I believe the Crimson has only 2 monitor outputs?

could you please explain the set up requirements and procedure for the SB two and whether my current set-up can be used to leverage it?

its confusing because i read somewhere that all i need is mic pres and that the SB2 will allow me to impart the color of the mic pre. The Crimson has two discrete mic pres that i believe will serve me well in the mean time before i buy a dedicated pre, Godwilling sometime next year.

please do explain the set up process so i see if it is worth going down the SB2 route or looking elsewhere. Thanks
Hello! The purpose, strictly speaking, is to combine, or “sum,” multiple analog audio signals into 1(or 1 stereo) signal. So your digital I/O requirements are 8+ outputs and 2 input. You could obviously sum less than 8 channels, but if you only have 2 there is no point as you have nothing to combine, hence no use for summing, unless you want to sum 2 mono signals into 1 mono signal... but there’s really no point in less than 8, some even say 16, I say 8 YMMV

Other than that, yes, you need some sort of “step up” or make up gain. The unit is designed such that the summed output is similar to that of a microphone, therefore mic amps are a perfect match. The Crimson pres will be totally fine. I use my Audient interface pres sometimes, works great. It’s just not as exciting as say Shadow Hills pres.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
Hello! The purpose, strictly speaking, is to combine, or “sum,” multiple analog audio signals into 1(or 1 stereo) signal. So your digital I/O requirements are 8+ outputs and 2 input. You could obviously sum less than 8 channels, but if you only have 2 there is no point as you have nothing to combine, hence no use for summing, unless you want to sum 2 mono signals into 1 mono signal... but there’s really no point in less than 8, some even say 16, I say 8 YMMV

Other than that, yes, you need some sort of “step up” or make up gain. The unit is designed such that the summed output is similar to that of a microphone, therefore mic amps are a perfect match. The Crimson pres will be totally fine. I use my Audient interface pres sometimes, works great. It’s just not as exciting as say Shadow Hills pres.
ok thanks, but strictly speaking does this mean that I must ditch the Crimson if I necessarily want to use an analogue summer? or can I hook up some outboard gear to make room for use of the analogue summer?

if so, what gear would you recomend? thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewlove View Post
ok thanks, but strictly speaking does this mean that I must ditch the Crimson if I necessarily want to use an analogue summer? or can I hook up some outboard gear to make room for use of the analogue summer?

if so, what gear would you recomend? thanks
If you got stuff to sum, use can make use of a device that sums. I’m a fan of the SB2 and DIYRE in general. Colour is RAD! Shadow Hills pres after passive summing is amazing. I’m going to grab some CAPI preamps soon to see how those match with the SB2.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
If you got stuff to sum, use can make use of a device that sums. I’m a fan of the SB2 and DIYRE in general. Colour is RAD! Shadow Hills pres after passive summing is amazing. I’m going to grab some CAPI preamps soon to see how those match with the SB2.

wow, ok thanks. i already am looking into a BAE mic pre. I guess i will just wait and hook it up to the Crimson then...and then get the SB2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search