The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will a Ramsa wr-da7 work for me?
Old 26th February 2018
Here for the gear

Will a Ramsa wr-da7 work for me?

I am looking into getting a Panasonic Ramsa WR-DA7. Ever since I last used one in an already setup studio back in 2014, I have since been in love with it. A great unit. But here is what I am wondering. I am a freelance professional studio producer for film, and music. Primarily, I am looking at getting it for video post production use and ADR recording(foley as well). I want to hook it up to my windows 10 machine(will downgrade to win 8 if needed or any other OS that would work best) I know the mixer has a port on the back called TO PC. It's a mini din to db9 connector. Is this all I need to connect it to the computer and essentially use it to control the daw software? For example, If I have 16 channels of audio on the DAW, I would like the audio to play through the mixing console on the assigned 16 channels. If channel 3 is playing sound, the meter bridge and fader for channel 3 will display audio input and the mixer will control that channel, with the capabilities to mix with the hardware, and not just play it through the mixing board. It doesn't have the ADAT adapter cards on it, so the din connector would be my only choice. Also, whatever device is connected through xlr, or trs inputs, would record in those channels into the DAW. Essentially allowing the DAW to function as it should with external mixing equipment. I would prefer to not have a crap ton of wires everywhere, and keep it to a minimum. Would the din to db9 i/o port send and receive audio information? or will it require more than the most obvious way? I'm looking to purchase this setup this tuesday(feb 27th, 2018)
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear

Knock Knock? Is everyone dead?
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Google for the manual
But no audio from there

M
Old 2nd March 2018
Moved to a place where OP hopefully finds better luck.
Old 2nd March 2018
You can find the manual here: http://beallcenter.uci.edu/sites/def...UsersGuide.pdf

I believe it uses HUI as daw control through the midi port on the back panel. I don’t think the din connector passes audio. I used one for a while but only via Adat for tracking
Old 16th March 2018
Here for the gear

I have the mixer plugged into the MIDI port to the computer via a MIDI to USB device. The computer recognizes it, but I don't have a clue as to how to program the MIDI interface on the board to use HUI or get the board into DAW mode. Any ideas? Also, admin stated post was moved, but I can't find it.
Old 17th March 2018
Here for the gear

The mixer is at version 1.07. I can't upgrade it either because I can't get the upgrade software to read the mixing board... This is starting to get to the point where it's just going to sit. Will it be easier to just get a M-Audio 1010lt card for it? And treat it like a hybrid setup?
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

I feel your pain unfortunately you will not be able to use the 9pin with the meter bridge. Honestly don’t even try to waste your time you just get confused and frustrated. They did have DAW controller software but it was for Dino Mac/PC like pre 2000! Lol

You are also going to have a tough time getting it to play nice as a basic DAW controller. The only reason you would want this board because the preamp’s are of higher quality and it has onboard compression and EQ as well as noise gates. I personally use mine for drums and basic voiceover work. It’s not a particularly quiet board In fact it’s kind of noisey. The other reason I like it is because you can program scene changes and settings. I have mine set up for like five different style drum mixes. I also use it as a monitor set up for 3x computers and keyboards. If you can get the ADAT cards you can use a variety of high end sound cards with ADAT lightpipe like the Focusrite Clarett series. Keep in mind that the sample rates lower. I have a/b the DA7 recording quality against my focusrite Clarett it holds it’s own. The Clarett into Logic is pristine zero noise. This board with all faders and pre amps up is noisey character lol makes for good drums but I w never track acoustic through it. Should work decent for Foley and postproduction work. Advantage of this board is that it has compression and Gates. Despite zero latency claims of Thunderbolt there is still latency so this is a good front end. I used to sell these for $7000 I got mine in 2007 for $500!!!
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

You will want to get it with at least 2x adat cards. If it doesn’t have cards don’t bother. I’ll see you want to make sure the preamps are not too scratchy pots wise and have the same gain as each other.

It’s a solid mixer built like a tank. From it’s era it blew away anything Tascam had and I liked the sound better than an 01V. You probably won’t get the crystal clear sound out of it due to the over sampling and converters in it. I found vocals and acoustic to be lifeless in tone and clarity. Drums another story. Not running a good master clock w mine so more clarity could be pulled out of it. You’re gonna need ADAT cards and or a decent USB 2.0 soundcard anything focusrite that’s used that’s windows 10 compatible. If you back up to Windows 8 you can find all kinds of good stuff for cheap used. Check out Motu HD-896 hybrid. You want a card that has DSP dynamics for low latency. Good luck bro! Sound cards with multiple pre amps, onboard DSP effects and rock solid non glitchy drivers for windows 8/10. The adat ins and outs are not easy to setup on the DA7 well not for a newbie. It’s semi stable once it’s working. Had it setup w protools old version and a Dino PC daw works great! Worked great w logic and the clarrett as well w adat port. I haven’t tried a windows 10 setup w my laptop yet and my clarrett.

Had the DA7 12 years it’s worked flawlessly for many projects for voice over. I don’t see why you couldn’t do great Foley and post work with it! I just think the tone is a bit noisey and muddy compared to today’s newer soundcards. A stable good master clock could make a big difference. Pro work has been done on these for 20+ years.

Back to windows 8 or 7 opens up a bunch of cheap killer used gear sound card wise.

Sorry for the horrid grammar and repeating myself this small type box is annoying!

Buy two of them because ones screen battery and psu is sure to fry and then you lose the scene mixes! Fun stuff not!

phone type w thumbs lol.

Justin dawbox
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search