The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of this acoustic guitar recording? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 25th February 2018
What do you think of this acoustic guitar recording?

Hi guys,

I have this acoustic guitar recording and I'm wondering what you guys think of it.

This was just a guide track recorded and it was the first time the guitarist had heard the song, so they will be re-recording it after he is more rehearsed.

I am totally aware of the headphone bleed - it's just a guide track so they weren't concerned.

I know a BAE 1073mp was used. There was no EQ or compression. My main questions:

1) What mic do you think was used?

2) What do you think of the tone?
Old 25th February 2018
sorry, here is the mp3
Attached Files

acoustic sample 01.mp3 (1.26 MB, 821 views)

Old 25th February 2018
Deleted User
This is subjective, but to me it sounds a bit bright and brash. If it is a solo acoustic recording, that could be bad. If it is in a mix, that could be good. It depends.
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Nut

It doesn't sound like a very nice instrument- the high E and B are very trashy sounding, and the intonation/tuning is not up to snuff. I'd start there if I were looking for a 'better' recording.

But as mentioned earlier, it is all relative to the final product.
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Guru

The main thing of it is that E with the B underneath, 2nd fret on the D string. Really nasal, really pokes out, pretty cool. I'd guess it's not a fancy guitar, no clue about the mic. An interesting "signature" you could build a track around, sort of a lightning-in-bottle occurrence.
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Guru

That tone could work in a somewhat dense mix, because it would poke through. I wouldn't like a solo recording to sound like that. It sounds like everything I hate about Taylor and Tackemine acoustics.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

sounds like you might need a better room to record??
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

I didn't listen but I'm assuming the OP did not record it since he says "what mic do you think was used?". Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but I think there is an underlying question/point the OP is trying to get at?
Old 25th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
It doesn't sound like a very nice instrument- the high E and B are very trashy sounding, and the intonation/tuning is not up to snuff. I'd start there if I were looking for a 'better' recording.

But as mentioned earlier, it is all relative to the final product.
Thanks for that feedback.

It’s a very nice guitar.

Sorry the tuning was slightly out. I know that’s hard to look past.

Can you explain what you mean by “trashy”? I would think that means high mid heavy / harsh / telephonic.... but you tell me what you meant
Old 25th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The main thing of it is that E with the B underneath, 2nd fret on the D string. Really nasal, really pokes out, pretty cool. I'd guess it's not a fancy guitar, no clue about the mic. An interesting "signature" you could build a track around, sort of a lightning-in-bottle occurrence.
Cool feedback.
It’s actually a very nice guitar.
My thought was it would actually work really well in a dense mix, especially if it were double tracked or capo’ed and double tracked.
Old 25th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That tone could work in a somewhat dense mix, because it would poke through. I wouldn't like a solo recording to sound like that. It sounds like everything I hate about Taylor and Tackemine acoustics.
Fair enough.
Yeah, wouldn’t use this sound for solo acoustic. I guess I should have clarified this will be a dense mix.

It’s not a Taylor or a Takamine.

Although I will say I do have a 1978 (I think) Martin lawsuit Takamine and it’s really dark and warm. Mahogany back and sides.
Old 25th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
sounds like you might need a better room to record??
What makes you say that?
Old 25th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I didn't listen but I'm assuming the OP did not record it since he says "what mic do you think was used?". Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but I think there is an underlying question/point the OP is trying to get at?
Perhaps.

Listen and let me know your thoughts.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Fair enough.
Yeah, wouldn’t use this sound for solo acoustic. I guess I should have clarified this will be a dense mix.

Although I will say I do have a 1978 (I think) Martin lawsuit Takamine and it’s really dark and warm. Mahogany back and sides.
could you tell us what guitar was used please ???
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for that feedback.

It’s a very nice guitar.

Sorry the tuning was slightly out. I know that’s hard to look past.

Can you explain what you mean by “trashy”? I would think that means high mid heavy / harsh / telephonic.... but you tell me what you meant
By trashy, I mean clanky, rattling, buzzy. There's no depth, no richness of tonality. It's just not great playing technique, to be honest.

But maybe that's the sound you want. In which case, perfect!
Old 25th February 2018
Here for the gear

It sounds like you used a piezo pick-up, maybe a good one but still a little tinny/quacky.
There is some buzz/tick on one of the chhords.
This is just what i heard, not being snarky or mean
Claude
Old 26th February 2018
Claude wins. It was direct.

A very nice Larivee dreadnought with a Fishman prefix all the way on the mic setting and eq settings flat. Direct into bae 1073.

Sorry about the subterfuge. I wanted some totally unbiased feedback.

I was personally pretty wowed by how good it sounded for a DI track.

I’ve always been totally against DI acoustic guitar but I could actually see this working in a mix.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m sure I’ll stick with a proper mic set up 99% of the time.
Old 26th February 2018
But LOL at the guy that said I needed a better room.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Nut

LOL at anyone who thinks it sounds good.

Kidding aside, it did highlight things that you really don't want to highlight. Strumming a dread should generally be a forgiving experience (you're not fingerpicking a National!), but that pickup revealed every little string hit and buzz and pick attack. No resonance to hide those things. You might be a good player, but that track did no favors in that regard, if you know what I mean.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Fair enough.

Maybe those lawsuit Tak's are OK, but anything from the 90s and up, designed as "stage guitars" with lacking bass, and quacky upper mids all sound freaking horrid.
Old 26th February 2018
Not a good recording at all. Sorry but the guitar sounds boxy and small. Sounds like a low fi kind of recording which could be cool for indie. Not smooth creamy and full of rich harmonics like a great guitar recorded in a good room with the right mics placed well. If it is only off the built in guitar mic well no wonder it sounds so flat. I have heard better guitar pickups or maybe more accurately better guitars with a better internal pickups.

Last edited by AudioSoundzz; 26th February 2018 at 03:51 AM..
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

well the sound is terrible regardless

If you had a good room you would not need to go DI. It sounds like one of those sound hole mics to me which is going to pick up room, which in your case sounds awful. An under-saddle transducer/piezo is the only way to go true DI. You are telling me that is under saddle? sorry no way

I would buy a guitar tuner if I were you and start there, no offense.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fishman prefix all the way on the mic setting and eq settings flat.
this is the preamp ... which Pickup is on the guitar ??

under saddle, soundhole, or the ELLIPSE MATRIX BLEND, the one that has the pickup attached to it ??
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Surprised it was DI. Sounded like an old dynamic.
Old 26th February 2018
LOL

I shouldn’t be surprised. I should have waited longer before the big reveal.

Regardless thanks for the feedback and I stick to my last statement for the rest.
Old 26th February 2018
Hahaha
Old 26th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
LOL at anyone who thinks it sounds good.

Kidding aside, it did highlight things that you really don't want to highlight. Strumming a dread should generally be a forgiving experience (you're not fingerpicking a National!), but that pickup revealed every little string hit and buzz and pick attack. No resonance to hide those things. You might be a good player, but that track did no favors in that regard, if you know what I mean.
Totally good feedback. I was honestly just looking for an unbiased reaction. If I had let out with “this is a DI” I would have gotten different results. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 26th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
well the sound is terrible regardless

If you had a good room you would not need to go DI. It sounds like one of those sound hole mics to me which is going to pick up room, which in your case sounds awful. An under-saddle transducer/piezo is the only way to go true DI. You are telling me that is under saddle? sorry no way

I would buy a guitar tuner if I were you and start there, no offense.
Go away. There’s no place for you here.

Lol
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Surprised it was DI.
I guess I shouldn't be -- it's got a really-close-to-the-bridge quality, which an under-saddle certainly is.

Patrick, is that pickup a piezo... or what?
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I could understand where he was coming from. The hard string tone as well as the boxiness led me to believe that the guitar was recorded in a small over-treated room with a carpeted floor. The sound is very similar. That said, in the context of a mix, with EQ, a bit of reverb, and perhaps some multi-band compression, you could probably make that work.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search