The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Adam S3V vs S5V
Old 18th February 2018
Here for the gear

Adam S3V vs S5V

Anyone, information about the difference in sound quality between the new Adam S3V and the S5V ?

Do the midrange and high frequency tweeter sound the same on these units ?

Evaluate to go for the S3V (S3H) or the S5V

Does the S5V play in another league ?

Regards
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larss View Post
Anyone, information about the difference in sound quality between the new Adam S3V and the S5V ?
Do the midrange and high frequency tweeter sound the same on these units ?
Does the S5V play in another league ?
Yes the mid and tweeter are the same drivers, but if you look closely, you'll see that the S5V has the drivers very slightly horn loaded. The S5V's are more a midfield monitor, and you need to be about 5 feet away from them for the sound to gel. That said, they sound spectacular.. and the slight horn loading helps reduce some ceiling and side reflection at high frequencies. I got to home-demo an early pair of S5V's for a week. I ended up buying a pair of S3H's however, as I have them sitting atop another pair of large monitors.
The S3H is the sweet spot in the lineup for price/performance. It's also quite a bit smaller than the S5V. The ad pictures are deceiving. The S5V is much larger than the S3V. The S3V is THE choice for a small to medium size rooms, and I would have bought it, but that I needed the horizontal S3H. I really love my S3H's. They let me hear EVERYTHING without sounding fatiguing, and my mixes translate really well. I could get by without a sub, but I do use a sub for more feel and dynamic range down low. I actually think the single 9" woofer has a smoother low end than the dual 7"s.
For comparison..... I also had a home demo of the big ATC SCM50's, which are way more expensive, and I much prefer the ADAMs. I did not care for the mids/highs of the ATCs at all, and that's what other people seem to gush over. I didn't get it.
Old 9th August 2018
Here for the gear

Adam S3V as Hifi speaker

May the Adam S3V also be used for playback of music i.e in a home hifi set up. Will these sound good also in the living room (hifi set up) ?
Evalulate to buy these and use them in my living room if these sounds good for that application.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search