The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
vocal mic and preamp combo for modern pop
Old 18th February 2018
vocal mic and preamp combo for modern pop

hey guys, i currently own A Design P1 500 series preamp and Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387. I like the quality of vocals i get but I was wondering what could be a step up from my current setup. I only use the mic for vocals and nothing else. The type of vocals i record for my clients are the modern top 40s pop/trap/edm/indian style songs. Budget for mic is $4000 and Budget for preamp is $4000. U87/737 is something i see alot but not sure if its just an overhyped combo. please advise.
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown View Post
hey guys, i currently own A Design P1 500 series preamp and Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387. I like the quality of vocals i get but I was wondering what could be a step up from my current setup. I only use the mic for vocals and nothing else. The type of vocals i record for my clients are the modern top 40s pop/trap/edm/indian style songs. Budget for mic is $4000 and Budget for preamp is $4000. U87/737 is something i see alot but not sure if its just an overhyped combo. please advise.
might want to search the Advanced Audio site for some microphones .. !!! 47,67, 49, C12, 251 types .. there is a thread here at GS regarding them ..

and you could buy my vintage Neve 1081 for your micpre !!!

the U87 / 737 is a pretty old combo these days ..
Old 18th February 2018
Lots to choose from in the $4K range. Lots of folks like the Avalon but I found it to be a bit sterile for my taste. You already have a P1 so I would add an API style 500 series (API or BAE, and others) or a Great River to give you lots of sound options. Possibly a Chander. I tried the P1 and found it had a specific sound that didn't match my voice as well as the others mentioned above.

Then with remaining $3K, think tube mics and you might try a Pearlman TM47, I believe you can return them if it doesn't suit you. Haven't tried one but the Chandler REDD mic is quite popular, again buy from a dealer with returns. We tried out most of the mics in this price range last year and the Telefunken Copperhead was also a big winner, along with the Blue Stage Two Rocket w/B6, or VD67 capsules which we kept two for lead vocal work. Try before you buy.
I initially liked the Atlantis but found tube mics to have a bit, bigger sound if you're only going to use it for your vocals which is my home setup too.
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Addict
To me, Modern pop/EDM sound is bright and airy, so I would think something ELAM 251, Sony c800g, Manley Ref, Blue Bottle with b0, or maybe the new chandler tube mic would be in that vein. The 87 is more a classic mic. Could definitely make a bright sound with it and it's probably good for impressing clients.

4k budget you could get either of the pricey channel strip from Rupert neve and they could do whatever you like. I have the Avalon and I like it; don't think you can go wrong with it.
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroreilly View Post
To me, Modern pop/EDM sound is bright and airy, so I would think something ELAM 251, Sony c800g, Manley Ref, Blue Bottle with b0, or maybe the new chandler tube mic would be in that vein. The 87 is more a classic mic. Could definitely make a bright sound with it and it's probably good for impressing clients.

4k budget you could get either of the pricey channel strip from Rupert neve and they could do whatever you like. I have the Avalon and I like it; don't think you can go wrong with it.
ah, the Shelford Channel ... good call and i budget .. full cahnnel strip like the 737 ..
Old 18th February 2018
thank you for great advices guys. I am looking for the bright/airy vocals. I am gonna be adding 500 series module of compressor eq in future but now i just want one dedicated pre amp and mic. I own manley massive passive and vari-mu. How about manley voxbox and their mic? sony C800G is out of budget unfortunetly or i would buy that for sure. u47 is good for airy bright vocals? or is it more warm round bottom kinda mic?
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
thank you for great advices guys. I am looking for the bright/airy vocals. I am gonna be adding 500 series module of compressor eq in future but now i just want one dedicated pre amp and mic. I own manley massive passive and vari-mu. How about manley voxbox and their mic? sony C800G is out of budget unfortunetly or i would buy that for sure. u47 is good for airy bright vocals? or is it more warm round bottom kinda mic?

A c12,251 is airy a u47 not so much. I would try something within your budget, get an neve'ish preamp and try to squeeze in a sm7b too. That's a good mic to have for pop and would compliment a brighter mic.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
8k for a mic and a preamp or channelstrip give you some good room for GREAT choices. And maybe the high end forum would be better suited.

Given the budget I'd pickup 2 or 3 great mics and a couple of preamps/chains and decide in YOUR place with YOUR ears/taste what do you like. I'm sure that any dealer would send you stuff to test with that budget.

The U87 avalon 737 is/was a very used chain... I like it although it doesn't floor me as other things, given your budget.

That said I'd suggest you to put the following stuff in your list:

MICS:
U87 vintage (better if Andreas Grosser put his hands on it) - very versatile mic indeed, even if there are better sounding mics, it delivers.
Manley Gold Reference - bright and very pop and classy
Manley Silver - smoother than the gold, less hyped in the top, but you could always use a nice eq to brighten it up as needed, instead of deessing a bright mic
Josephson 715
Chandler redd mic - bright and pop (I'm not into these kind of mics but I heard great recordings made with it)
Flea C12

PREAMPS:
Avedis MA5 + E27 (it has the 28k button that might be worth pushing with the Manley Silver plus using the high band of the E27 to control the results)

Aurora Audio GTQC - terrific channelstrip at a very reasonable cost

Forssell SMP - clean preamp that I love, also on vocals, not sibilant at all, pairs well with bright mics imho

Since you have a lunchbox already might be worth to look into some other eq's and decide what do you like best:

- Electrodyne 511, only 2 bands but the hiend is very sweet, perfect for boosting
- Crane Song Insignia - lovely tube eq for the 500 series
- as said Avedis E27 - stunning

DYNAMICS:
If you're going for separate pieces (not a channelstrip) there's a terrific combo that will make your vocals sound finished: Crane Song Trakker+BAE 10DC chained (the trakker doing the heavy lifting and the bae doing the last db or 2).

Test some of these in your studio, you might find your perfect chain.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 18th February 2018 at 11:08 PM..
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
I own manley massive passive and vari-mu. How about manley voxbox and their mic?
If it is manley, it is going to be good, but I think there might be overlap with what you already have. The manley mics are generally great for pop and the cheaper one is noted to be used on a lot of modern pop songs I believe.

Also, Blue is apparently releasing some new bottle caps, one that is Sony 800g inspired. Dunno when it is being released or how good it is, but I plan to find out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search