The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sE V7 Mic Rules on Vocals (video sample) Condenser Microphones
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict

sE V7 Mic Rules on Vocals (video sample)

We purchased this sE V7 Supercardiod mic after hearing Greg Wells say it's a great mic for mic-ing snare drums. That turned out to be totally true. But..we never expected it to sound as great as it does on certain vocals.

We tried it because we needed a mic with great rejection capabilities and the V7 with it's supercardiod pattern turned out to be perfect. We picked it up for $99. Listen to the song below (Find What Waits) from the band Humming House:

Old 17th February 2018
Sounds great! Love what you have going on with the video series.
Old 17th February 2018
I would love to know more about the chain involved. That's a great sound.
Old 17th February 2018
Yeah; great mic and for the money. It's quite airy and doesn't work on everything but it reminds me of the RK12 capsule. I reviewed it here
Nice track!
Old 17th February 2018
I tried the V7X for snare and it's cool. Kinda dry sounding but cool I wonder if the V7 is better for snare even thought the V7x is designed for snare and guitar.
Old 17th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I tried the V7X for snare and it's cool. Kinda dry sounding but cool I wonder if the V7 is better for snare even thought the V7x is designed for snare and guitar.
The V7 has a dip between 4-10kHz whereas the x version is level; also, the bass region peaks earlier on the V7 response.
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds good!
Did someone tell the singer to be mindful of pops, was he mindful of pops on his own, or does this mic really have this good of a pop filter?
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
Sounds great! Love what you have going on with the video series.
Thanks! The "Live 2 Tape" Video Sessions are really fun for our team and the artists. Everybody tends to bring their "A" game since they know we are tracking straight to tape with no overdubs or splicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
I would love to know more about the chain involved. That's a great sound.
From memory, the signal chains were:

Vocals - sE V7 -> Vintage Neve 1073 module (in the console) -> Tube Tech CL1B
Violin - Vintage Neumann KM84
Cello - Neumann FET47 - Reissue
Stand-up Bass - Beyer Dynamic -> M380 -> LA2A
Keys - DI
eGuitar - Gibson ES125 -> Tweed Deluxe -> Senn 409-> Neve 2254e

All of the above went through our Neve 8014. The final mix had a little bit of a Bricasti Dark Plate that gets tweaked by a stereo pair of API 560's.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
Thanks! The "Live 2 Tape" Video Sessions are really fun for our team and the artists. Everybody tends to bring their "A" game since they know

From memory, the signal chains were:

Vocals - sE V7 -> Vintage Neve 1073 module (in the console) -> Tube Tech CL1B
Violin - Vintage Neumann KM84
Cello - Neumann FET47 - Reissue
Stand-up Bass - Beyer Dynamic -> M380 -> LA2A
Keys - DI
eGuitar - Gibson ES125 -> Tweed Deluxe -> Senn 409-> Neve 2254e

All of the above went through our Neve 8014. The final mix had a little bit of a Bricasti Dark Plate that gets tweaked by a stereo pair of API 560's.

we are tracking straight to tape with no overdubs or splicing.

Thanks for your comments!
Awesome! Love your place and stuff!
If I ever come back to Nashville I'll make sure to stop by

Cheu
Old 18th February 2018
Sounds awfully bright.
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

Nice stuff. The V7 is better than many mics in its price range.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Arthur, your GS review was terrific! Chris
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Sounds awfully bright.
Fair comment Rob. In use it's not at all harsh or brittle but the 4 and 10kHz peaks bring in a lot of air and presence. It's not a lot unlike an LDC sound and it captures a lot of detail. It's less muddy than the SM58 in the mids. Very good for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Arthur, your GS review was terrific! Chris
Cheers Chris! Much appreciated. More on the way.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Cool-Sure thang!

BTW if the V7 is the C12-ish "Yin", my AKG D790 is the "Neumann-ish" Yang.

It's top end is more "rolled" off vs a M88-another "Neumann-ish" dynamic microphone. Very similar otherwise.

Chris
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Addict

Sounds great, and what a great looking room!
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Yeah; great mic and for the money. It's quite airy and doesn't work on everything but it reminds me of the RK12 capsule. I reviewed it here
Nice track!
One of the most thorough and best reviews I can recall reading. Thanks for putting in the time and effort. Well done!
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
One of the most thorough and best reviews I can recall reading. Thanks for putting in the time and effort. Well done!
Thanks Deuce! Really appreciate the feedback. We try the best for the 'slutz because you're worth it
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

Rejection properties of the sEV7

Here is another example of the utility of this $100 microphone. In this application, its hyper cardioid pattern captured the vocal with very little bleed from the acoustic guitar, stand-up bass and mandolin. We have no relationship with this microphone company but we continue to appreciate its functionality.

This Trace Horse "Live 2 Tape" video was in support of Tim Easton's new record "Paco & the Melodic Polaroids" Paco is Tim's Gibson J-45. The video also features Eamon McLoughlin on mandolin (EmmyLou Harris, Rodney Crowell) & Dave Jacques on standup bass (John Prine).

Old 17th April 2018
Awesome music! The V7 does sound well-suited: nice and clear and airy but not faint.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with sE either.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head
This sounds ace for such a low priced mic! I was coincidentally looking for a super /hypercardioid vocal mic in that price range. Looks like it could be a serious contender.

I wonder how much EQ was applied here?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm with covenantofdeath, sounds ace for the price, and I feel like that sound begs the question, what else was done to the vocal track if we may ask?
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by covenantofdeath View Post
This sounds ace for such a low priced mic! I was coincidentally looking for a super /hypercardioid vocal mic in that price range. Looks like it could be a serious contender.

I wonder how much EQ was applied here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
I'm with covenantofdeath, sounds ace for the price, and I feel like that sound begs the question, what else was done to the vocal track if we may ask?
It sounds pretty much like the V7 as is without too much EQ or compression IMO. The vocal sound is the mic character; it reminded me of airy condenser mics with an RK12 capsule.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

The mic Greg Wells was talking about specifically for snare drums was the V7X version, not the regular V7.

By the way I just went for it and I'm loving the V7X on snare. Great isolation from the hi hat, and little EQ is needed for a good snare sound.
Old 20th April 2018
Interestingly I think it all sounds great *except* for the vocal. Seems too forward in the 2.5-4k region making it really peaky. Certainly not something a voice like that needs.
Great job on everything else, though!
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
The mic Greg Wells was talking about specifically for snare drums was the V7X version, not the regular V7.

By the way I just went for it and I'm loving the V7X on snare. Great isolation from the hi hat, and little EQ is needed for a good snare sound.
I've been mostly using the original V7 on snare since they came out. I haven't had a chance to try to V7x, but really want to.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Guitar World Live Video Premier...featuring the SE7

This video premiered today on Guitar World. It features 4 of the SE7's on vocals. Once again, we selected them for their great sound and rejection capabilities. I paid retail for these mics and am not affiliated with the manufacturer in anyway.

The video is for a song from Aaron Lee Tasjan's new record "Karma For Cheap". The song "The Truth Is So Hard To Believe" was recorded "Live 2 Tape" via our custom Neve 8014 straight to our 2 inch 16 track MCI. The audio is one take...no splicing, no overdubs, no post production editing, or tuning.

The song was engineered, mixed and mastered by our in-house engineers.

Last edited by Deuce 225; 3 weeks ago at 01:56 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
3 cool tunes. 3 fine bands. Everything so nicely recorded. I like that mic, too. Thanks for sharing these, Deuce.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
This video premiered today on Guitar World. It features 4 of the SE7's on vocals. Once again, we selected them for their great sound and rejection capabilities. I paid retail for these mics and am not affiliated with the manufacturer in anyway.

The video is for a song from Aaron Lee Tasjan's new record "Karma For Cheap". The song "The Truth Is So Hard To Believe" was recorded "Live 2 Tape" via our custom Neve 8014 straight to our 2 inch 16 track MCI. The audio is one take...no splicing, no overdubs, no post production editing, or tuning.

The song was engineered, mixed and mastered by our in-house engineers.

I got to record Aaron as a guitar player on several songs for The Artist Formally Known as Vince record several years ago. Aaron was still living in NYC, and we recorded at the original Bunker. What a talent that guy is!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I got to record Aaron as a guitar player on several songs for The Artist Formally Known as Vince record several years ago. Aaron was still living in NYC, and we recorded at the original Bunker. What a talent that guy is!
Drumsound, thanks for sharing your story! Aaron is indeed a special talent, singer, songwriter, smoking guitar player and...a really nice guy too!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Drumsound, thanks for sharing your story! Aaron is indeed a special talent, singer, songwriter, smoking guitar player and...a really nice guy too!
And one of the hardest working musicians you'll ever know!

The video looks and sounds great. Are the amps in the room on those?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search