The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good replacement fan for Akai S6000 sampler? Utility Plugins
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

Good replacement fan for Akai S6000 sampler?

i don't know if anyone is going to look in the thread i asked in ("fan disable or not"), so i thought i'd make a thread for it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet 60mm fan to replace the one in my Akai S6000?

The one in my S6000 now is terribly loud (louder than the SCSI hard drive, i think). When i looked online, i found lots of 60mm fans rated as "quiet" but they all seem to be for PCs and are all 3-pin/3-wire fans. The one inside the S6000 seems to be a two pin and is definitely only 2 wires. It also seems to have an odd connector i've never seen before (which i can't seem to unplug from the angle i'm working at with it in my rack). The plastic snap thingy holding it in place is on the plug end, not the base and there's no release pivot to press on (see attached image).
Attached Thumbnails
Good replacement fan for Akai S6000 sampler?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Nut

...Um, is it against the rules to bump a thread...?
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Akai s6000 is basically a 386 pc computer. Should think that any pc fan would do the job just fine.

Mine is not making so much noise yet, but once it starts doing so, I will go and buy a Zalman quiet fan for it.
Old 15th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet 60mm fan to replace the one in my Akai S6000?
Without knowing the basic specs of the current fan, I cannot confidently give you any advice for a replacement. The fan model number or operating voltage would be needed as minimum.

I think the current fan connector should be able to "open" or "unlock", by carefully inserting a flathead screwdriver as show in my mockup below:

Old 16th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Without knowing the basic specs of the current fan, I cannot confidently give you any advice for a replacement. The fan model number or operating voltage would be needed as minimum.

I think the current fan connector should be able to "open" or "unlock", by carefully inserting a flathead screwdriver as show in my mockup below:

This is why i was hoping to get the attention of people who've done this replacement before and pick their brains as to what they replaced it with. In another thread, someone specifically stated replacing their noisy fan with a quiet one. i posted asking what they recommend i get, since the one they named no longer exists on the market. No reply. So i created this thread, hoping to get other S6000 owners responses, assuming they knew more than i.
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT View Post
Akai s6000 is basically a 386 pc computer. Should think that any pc fan would do the job just fine.
Er, that's what i hoped, but i don't see anything that really backs this up. i mean, as i said in my first post, the S6000 has a two-wire fan and all the 60mm quiet case fans i see on the market are 3-wire. Do i just ignore one of them and use the positive and negative wires? Should i splice the new one into the wire from the old one and not try to mess with finding the correct connector? The fans on the market don't seem to have this connector.
Old 16th February 2018
Quote:
This is why i was hoping to get the attention of people who've done this replacement before and pick their brains as to what they replaced it with. In another thread, someone specifically stated replacing their noisy fan with a quiet one. i posted asking what they recommend i get, since the one they named no longer exists on the market. No reply. So i created this thread, hoping to get other S6000 owners responses, assuming they knew more than i.
I'm trying to help you. Normally, a fan has a sticker on it with type number and possibly operating voltage. I was hoping that your fan has one too and that you could show us or tell us what it says.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Op get a mm in there and tell us the fan voltage
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm trying to help you. Normally, a fan has a sticker on it with type number and possibly operating voltage. I was hoping that your fan has one too and that you could show us or tell us what it says.
It has a label, but it's covered by the exhaust grill. i'll have to remove the fan to read it, which means opening the unit again. i'm not sure i can get at it while in the rack, either. This might take me a bit of time to get to, since this thing is rather heavy.
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
Op get a mm in there and tell us the fan voltage
A multimeter? i have one, but i'm about as familiar with using that thing as it takes to read a charge on a battery. i'm hesitant to go poking around on circuit leads in my sampler with it, being unsure of what i'm doing. Do i use the same setting on the multimeter as i use to check batteries and just touch the leads to the solder joints under the fan connector? Can i harm things getting the positive and negative backwards or does that just give a negative voltage indication?

(while i'm on that, i've read that checking batteries this way is semi-useless because the value given while they're not under load isn't a good indicator of what they put out under load)
Old 16th February 2018
Ah yes, covered, like this:

Old 17th February 2018
This is the fan I suggest as a replacement IF your existing one is running at 12 volt. If the connector does not fit the S6000, it's a very simple mod for a tech guy:

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is the fan I suggest as a replacement IF your existing one is running at 12 volt. If the connector does not fit the S6000, it's a very simple mod for a tech guy:

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX
Thanks for the recommendation. Assuming the voltage is the same, for the moment: That fan's specs say it's a three-pin connection. Do i just leave one of the wires disconnected? i'm assuming it's the speed sensing line and is irrelevant to the fan's actual operation. (??)
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Assuming the voltage is the same, for the moment: That fan's specs say it's a three-pin connection. Do i just leave one of the wires disconnected? i'm assuming it's the speed sensing line and is irrelevant to the fan's actual operation. (??)
Yes, you leave the correct one disconnected and the fan will run at full speed.

The fan comes with a few extension cables, which is cool if you need to modify the connector to make the fan fit the motherboard. This way, you modify the extension cable and not the fan itself, which I think is nice.
Old 9th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
OP, did the Noctua fan work for you ?
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
OP, did the Noctua fan work for you ?
I haven't tried it. It's hard to prioritize money for this little side project/annoyance when all my money goes to subsistence, especially when I know I'll have to splice wires to do the replacement, and that there are likely to be unknown results (since every fan has three lines and I haven't yet removed the existing fan to check the voltage)...

It's frustrating. I wanted to get some confirmed info and knowledge online to plan this, but it seems that info isn't available online.

Then there's the other noise issue in my Sakai S6000: the SCSI hard drive. More expensive, and more unknowns. Sigh.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search