The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NASA memory foam properties
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

NASA memory foam properties

I have a quick question for the acoustic guys: I have about 2 pallets (4'x4') worth of that NASA memory foam. I have a bunch of bass traps already in my room but I want to find a use for all this crap. Is it worth using for anything? I could compress it down pretty good and form it into big pillars to put it the corners....
Also the foam is about 2'x4' so it's close to normal 703 in dimensions but all the sheets are cut slightly different.
Any clues?
Thanks.
Old 18th April 2007
Gear Guru

Clayton,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
Is it worth using for anything?
Doubtful, but I can't say for sure. Without seeing lab tests I'd only be guessing. Do you know what high quality foam or fiberglass sounds like? My standard test is to hold a proposed material in front of my face and "talk into" it. If it sounds like you're talking into a total void, it might be useful acoustically.

--Ethan
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

So, when you say "void" it should make my voice sound drastically different?
I'll give it a shot, worst case I'll make a nice bed for my cat or some pillows out of it.heh
Thanks.
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Make a comfy bed out of it

Or sell Gearslutz pillows!
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCained View Post
Make a comfy bed out of it

Or sell Gearslutz pillows!

And butt pillows for those long mix sessions, Genius!
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
I have a quick question for the acoustic guys: I have about 2 pallets (4'x4') worth of that NASA memory foam. I have a bunch of bass traps already in my room but I want to find a use for all this crap. Is it worth using for anything? I could compress it down pretty good and form it into big pillars to put it the corners....
Also the foam is about 2'x4' so it's close to normal 703 in dimensions but all the sheets are cut slightly different.
Any clues?
Thanks.
I've been wondering this as well. That memory foam stuff seems pretty dense. It ain't that cheap, though. It would be pretty easy to work with, however.
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

The best thing about this memory foam is the recall - you just can't get that in any other foam.

Soundawg
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

I thought SSL foam had Recall?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search