The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Experiences with SE8?
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

Experiences with SE8?

I've tried to be a diligent newbie and researched the archives, etc. But I can find very little in the way of shootouts from all over the interweb concerning the Se Electronics Se8 mic. I've assumed that's because it's somewhat new.

I discovered it on this great review at Sweetwater:

Best Small-diaphragm Condenser Mics for Acoustic Guitar - inSync

Any Se8 experiences/opinions out there?
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

I thought that I'd add a follow-up to my post for others that may be interested. No, I don't work in the sound gear industry at all. I'm just trying to give back to the forum because I've learned a lot here.

I purchased two SM81s for the sole purpose of recording my classical and steel string guitars in stereo. The big west-coast sound gear company gave me a price that I couldn't refuse. But I was not satisfied. I decided to purchase a stereo pair of the sE8s from the large mid-western gear company (because they had them in stock) and I told them up front that I may not want to keep them.

Bottom line: I simply thought that the sE8s provided a more realistic representation of my guitars and so I'm keeping them. The price isn't part of the decision for me. I'm grateful to both distributors that I worked with.
Old 1st June 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the review Bubba!

I'm in the market for a decent pair of SDCs and after looking at the frequency response chart they are edging out the NT5s that I was also looking at. I'd be using them mostly for drum overheads.

It's really difficult to find any user reviews on the sE8s!

Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear

I'm also really interested in the SE8's. SE are releasing omni capsules for these towards the end of the year.

However, the new Vanguard V1 set looks awesome but more expensive :-

http://vanguardaudiolabs.com/product...condenser-kit/
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Head

I'm really interested in these vs the shure ksm141... the response is better and lower self noise. the polar pattern graph of the shure is a bit tighter though... not sure how much that matters...
Old 23rd June 2018
I Just did a comparison between the Neumann KM184 and the sE Electronics SE8 - here's the link to the blind shoot out with more audio samples.
The results are pretty amazing...
Attached Thumbnails
Experiences with SE8?-se8-openboxes.jpg  
Attached Files

MicA-AcGuitar-Strumming2.mp3 (1.06 MB, 3092 views)

MicB-AcGuitar-Strumming2.mp3 (1.06 MB, 3097 views)

Old 27th August 2019
Here for the gear

I own a pair and I think they are fantastic for the price. IMO they are very similar to Neumann km184s. They are very clean, a bit of a high end peak, fairly quiet, great transient response and "pop" on percussive sounds (guitar plucking, piano hammers, drums etc.). These are one of the first SDCs I would recommend under $1k. For different purposes, I'd also like having an SM81 at my disposal (less of that 3d "pop", but more of a meaty less clean characteristic). There are certainly better mics than the sE8, but personally I think it sounds just as good as many microphones in the 600-1000 dollar price range, and I would only upgrade for something much more expensive (i.e. KM84, Soyuz SU-011, Sennheiser MHK series, etc.)

So basically, I think for the price, they are great all-purpose SDC microphones. Kinda bright though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Does anyone know what the difference is between the SE5 and SE8? Is the SE8 a succesor of the SE5? Or is it a totally new mic?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search