The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Contract between independents artist and producer
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

Contract between independents artist and producer

Hi,

I have been composing for a long time and I am not a singer. I have already produced for artists but it's the labels who took care of everything, I just need to sign the contract and that's all.

I contacted an English singer (I'm French) and we created a music (he wrote and sang and I composed the music, did the arrangement, the mixing and the mastering). Now we would like to publish this music (streaming and digital sales only). We chose to do this independently and chose Distrokid as a distributor.

Now I would like to "formalize" the agreement between us with a contract (for the rights, roles, royalties, etc.) but I don't know how to did...

It's something classic today but I have never released music independently.
Someone can help me with the contract and the overall approach ? (Just need to make a contract between me and him, publish the music through the distributor and that's it ?).

Thanks !

EDIT : For the contract, I tried to write something correct by taking inspiration from several examples : Zippyshare.com - songwriting partnership agreement.pdf
I don't know if the "term of agreement" clause is really necessary (if yes, I think to extend it to "lifetime" instead of 5 years) and is it necessary to add a clause for the territory and jurisdiction ?
Old 5th February 2018
You’ve probably already anticipated this resonse, but....get a lawyer. It’s the only way to make sure your contract is foolproof and up to date with industry norms. It’s not cheap, but your work isn’t either, and it’s worth protecting.
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

Yes i've already anticipated this response ^^. Of course is the best solution but as you said, it's expensive and I can't right now.. :/

EDIT : I modified the contract - Zippyshare.com - songwriting partnership agreement v2.pdf
- I added clause 2 and 9.
- Change the term to "lifetime" instead of "5 years" in clause 6.
- So, the clause 7 (red) still necessary ?

Last edited by Max2309; 6th February 2018 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: new answer
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search