The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tonelux JC 37, new sony C37
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

In a similar way IMHO the JC37 edged out the Vintage Sony C37a. But if I didn't have the JC37 to compare, I'd just think the C37a sounded terrific!
(smart booth set up Tonelux & Heiserman)
Chris
P.S. Please forgive my lengthy post!
Well I could hear Hamish's pair locally but he wants to charge me for travel and lost work time...

Interesting you think the Tonelux edged out the Sony. Is that because the modern sound won out? Was it bigger sounding? The Manley has far more top from what I've heard so far. The Sony has a very soft top.

I'm proud that Chandler are using my drum recordings at trade shows!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Let me preface this Paul, by saying all these drum samples, I've heard of yours are fantastic!

So something you/Joe Chiccarelli/Alan Hyatt have in common is... Labor of Love!

What I thought was super cool is that the JC37 had even a little more Vintage Vibe/but still 3D, than the Sony.(gasp!) Fuller and bit bigger vs. the Sony. Plus a little more "ribbon-ish" and I dig that.

I may be attending the Grammys this Sunday,
so won't be able to do any new recordings over this weekend. Especially if I need to go to LA.
Partly due to work too.

Yes the Silver has a brighter/more modern
top end IMHO. But I'd rather hear Dusty on
The JC37, back in the day! For that up
close/personal/intimate tone. Cue "Look
Of Love" and "Son Of A Preacher Man".
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Funny you mention "up close and personal" because that is EXACTLY why several years ago a Sony C37a beat out a vintage 87, FET 47 and even an M49 for a project I produced.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes Tony-exactly! What's hilarious (to me anyway)... Is if I ever were to do a Lo Fi/"Punk" version of the Classic Zombies tune "Time Of The Season", I'd dive for my MXL V69 Toob mic! The V69 has a similar up front effect, now if it weren't for its lower fidelity/self noise/etc... Watch out Sony and Tonelux!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Funny you mention "up close and personal" because that is EXACTLY why several years ago a Sony C37a beat out a vintage 87, FET 47 and even an M49 for a project I produced.
That sounds really good Tony. I like his voice a lot and the Sony captured nicely!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm guessing that the improvements in the circuit mentioned earlier in the thread, particularly having to do with lower noise, make it smoother and less bright in the top end leaving it fuller and warmer sounding while more transparent throughout the entire range. Improvements in power supplies typically show up this way in any sound equipment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is what I believe too. Well said!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Having done a lot of modifications on audio equipment, it can actually be disconcerting at first when you get done with a power supply improvement that is undeniably better from a theoretical standpoint but the consequent sound is so much less bright and it's not immediately apparent that it is because of lowered noise and distortion but you know it must be so.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
building them by hand is slow process. We have been looking at ways to increase production time and quantity, so the answer here is yes, we are shipping, and we will have people with them. If you are local to us, we can always find a way to do a demo for you.
Alan- I share others' excitement about hearing you guys' creation in action!

Since production is going to be slow at first, are there any plans for a video? Something that shows off the JC37 on different sources? Maybe next to an older Sony? I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to hear the mic!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasanything View Post
Maybe next to an older Sony? I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to hear the mic!
This is paramount! At the moment there is a feeling that the mic only looks right and there is no primary proof of sound.
If we could get Chris or someone we trust to demo it then potentially placing orders wouldn't be such a risk.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
This is paramount! At the moment there is a feeling that the mic only looks right and there is no primary proof of sound.
If we could get Chris or someone we trust to demo it then potentially placing orders wouldn't be such a risk.
Agree fully
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Yes Tony-exactly! What's hilarious (to me anyway)... Is if I ever were to do a Lo Fi/"Punk" version of the Classic Zombies tune "Time Of The Season", I'd dive for my MXL V69 Toob mic! The V69 has a similar up front effect, now if it weren't for its lower fidelity/self noise/etc... Watch out Sony and Tonelux!
Chris
That's our nest one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
That sounds really good Tony. I like his voice a lot and the Sony captured nicely!
Thanks, man. I'm really proud of that record.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes Tony! A Punk Rock version of that would be fun. Maybe Kennybro might like to sing Lead on that. Those harmonies are so cool, on the original.

Gee, I guess we've better get back on the JC37!
Chris

EDIT: Looks like the last year of Production of the C37a, was 1969. Over 50 years ago!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasanything View Post
Alan- I share others' excitement about hearing you guys' creation in action!

Since production is going to be slow at first, are there any plans for a video? Something that shows off the JC37 on different sources? Maybe next to an older Sony? I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to hear the mic!
We have been working on a concept video with Joe Chiccarelli in his studio, however Joe has been busy. As soon as we can get it done, it will be up on the site. Until then, we are shipping to those who have placed early orders, and along the way, we have been getting some to some well known producers, artists, and engineers to get tracks out in the mainstream using the mic.

We will release all of that when we can...
Old 2 weeks ago
I got sick of waiting so I bought a Manley Silver to record new drums with. It sounds solid in most of the youtube demos so I imagine it'll work wonders in my room.
I might even buy another.....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got sick of waiting so I bought a Manley Silver to record new drums with. It sounds solid in most of the youtube demos so I imagine it'll work wonders in my room.
Me too. I got a minty Rhodes SeventyThree with the dosh.
Old 7 hours ago
Quote:
The Manley sounds wonderful and has this great saturated mid range thing going on. I can't wait to see if Tonelux have nailed it. I'll probably have bought a second Manley by then though......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search