The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tonelux JC 37, new sony C37
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiwoman View Post
I purchased a stereo pair recently and have used it on an entire indie rock EP and a few other projects. So far they have exceeded my expectations. Very smooth like a ribbon mic with the upper harmonic presence of a tube mic. I'm very pleased with them. Great versatile mic that is much smaller than I expected (SM57 is longer in body length than the JC37). This is nice because it makes it easy to put these anywhere for anything. Vocals and overheads they rock I want to try them next on toms.
Thank you for expressing this. There are a lot of others who have these mics, I just wish more would write about them. I get calls all the time telling me how great they are, but I never like to invade anyones privacy, but I do ask if they would consider writing something about them, so I really appreciate your comments.
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I purchased a stereo pair recently and have used them on an entire indie rock EP and a few other projects. So far they have exceeded my expectations. Very smooth like a ribbon mic with the upper harmonic presence of a tube mic. I'm very pleased with them. Great versatile mic that is much smaller than I expected (SM57 is longer in body length than the JC37). This is nice because it makes it easy to put these anywhere for anything! Vocals and overheads they rock I want to try them next on toms.
Very cool! That's awesome to hear. Could you share the name of the EP? I know a lot of people are super curious about the Tonelux. But examples of it in action are hard to come by online.
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Thank you for expressing this. There are a lot of others who have these mics, I just wish more would write about them. I get calls all the time telling me how great they are, but I never like to invade anyones privacy, but I do ask if they would consider writing something about them, so I really appreciate your comments.
I still wonder why nobody has put up audio files of either the JC37 alone or in shootout with a Sony C37A?

FWIW, I just sold my C37A. I tried hard to like it and sometimes (say on female singers) it worked very well but generally I found it to be too 'closed' and slightly muted sounding. Though it's a very different mic, I had the same thoughts about the Coles 4038. A lot of people swear by them. I found them exciting in a lot of ways but ultimately I'm looking for something different, less dark and 'truer to the source' for lack of a better description.

I have no doubts that the JC37 is great - I can't imagine Joe Chicarelli putting his name up otherwise - but the C37A is a pretty special mic and might not be to everybody's liking so getting an impression first would be extremely helpful.

BTW: Folks always talk about how misleading shootouts can be with all the variables and each (vintage) mic being different, etc. I don't think it's a problem because I'm sure that I could 'spot' the difference (or not) the C37A I owned.

As for the C37A there are known records where it was used and I really hear that sound I knew from my own mic. No matter how different all the variables are. The second Bon Iver album is a great example - I LOVE that record and Justin Vernon is an amazing singer but I still hear that slightly muted sound that personally I don't care for so much. Since he is a known fan of the C37A I would imagine that it's EXACTLY the sound he was looking for so in the long run it's all about personal taste and vision.

Last edited by doorknocker; 12th November 2020 at 04:53 PM..
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love mine on vocals but I agree it definitely has a more mellowed out midband than say, a 67. Takes EQ well though, especially up top! Not naturally the most open sounding mic though.

Makes a totally amazing kit behind mic though! Electric guitars, acoustics even, overheads, snare top (for brushwork)... Wouldn't part with mine personally
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm curious if the Tonelux is an improvement on the original in this regard. The description talks about it that way.
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

Again, I slightly preferred it, over the (mint) vintage original, on my voice. And I absolutely love the sound of the original.
So that's saying a lot IMHO!
Chris
Old 15th November 2020
Here for the gear
Any word on the BC37 fet version? Development was said to be "concurrent" with the JC37, but I don't see any trace of it online.
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Sorry for the delays. Samples are finally up on the Tonelux Website. They are not comprehensive but certainly enough for the listener to understand how it compares against an original.

Hopefully as we get stock Demo models will be in the hands of dealers soon.

We've had several Production delays over the past months. Mics are all hand assembled and each capsule is thoroughly tested at Tonelux. Therefore the build time is longer than most assembly line microphones.

Hope you enjoy the microphone. Joe C.
Old 17th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I definitely prefer the ToneLux, while still appreciating their similarities. On my list. FYI, the site doesn't make it clear how to order a pair of mics with only one dual power supply.
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was loaned a pair of C37a’s in the late 90’s, and I used them as a spaced Omni pair quite extensively. I have several old-time fiddle music recordings where I adjusted the position of the mics to get a balanced stereo image between the guitar and fiddle(s). Then I moved the position of the upright bass within the room until its level was where I wanted it. Those are some of the warmest, most natural, and absolutely amazing recordings I have ever heard, and that says a lot considering they were recorded to DAT using a field recorder. They really capture the performers’ dynamics, and they didn’t require significant mixing. I am excited to see the JC37, but man I will miss the magic that happened when you used a miniature screwdriver to flip the omni switch... Can’t wait to try the JC37.

Last edited by thebeardedfreak; 18th November 2020 at 02:50 AM..
Old 18th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The demos sound very ribbony—not a bad thing in itself by any means. Sounds indistinguishable from the OG to me on a cursory first listen. That said, I’m not instantly loving what I’m hearing, either from the Tonelux or the OG. Guess I’m not a C37a fan.

Finally, and perhaps most surprisingly—you can hear the Josephson sound pretty distinctly here. Especially the C715. Wasn’t expecting that.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
The demos sound very ribbony—not a bad thing in itself by any means. Sounds indistinguishable from the OG to me on a cursory first listen. That said, I’m not instantly loving what I’m hearing, either from the Tonelux or the OG. Guess I’m not a C37a fan.

Finally, and perhaps most surprisingly—you can hear the Josephson sound pretty distinctly here. Especially the C715. Wasn’t expecting that.
Both Josephson and the C37 are unhyped, though with a natural amount of air rather than the high frequency roll off of ribbons.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Both Josephson and the C37 are unhyped, though with a natural amount of air rather than the high frequency roll off of ribbons.
Plenty of hf rolloff going on here, something I generally like. Just not into the tone of this particular mic. It’s cool if you are tho.

Again, they seem to have done a really impressive job of recreating the sound of the original.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
Plenty of hf rolloff going on here, something I generally like. Just not into the tone of this particular mic. It’s cool if you are tho.
Regardless of whether you like it or not, I don't think that the top it rolled off so much as not hyped like most condensers. Most ribbons measurably roll off due to the logistics of the mechanism. Samar are the only ones I can think of that don't.
Old 18th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They sound much better than I was expecting. A little more open than the original but very similar. The Manley Silver's I have seem to be even more mid range forward in a good way, I've been using them on a Fender Rhodes Cab to great effect.
I would have bought a pair of these Tonelux if this test had been done when they were released.
Congratulations Joe and Co.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Obp...w?usp=drivesdk

Here is a vocal track recently recorded with my Tonelux JC37 mic. I left the vocals dry and without processing or autotune so you can hear the mic. No channel eq on the main vocal a little eq on the harmonies.

Spencer R
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Here is a vocal track recently recorded with my Tonelux JC37 mic. I left the vocals dry and without processing or autotune so you can hear the mic. No channel eq on the main vocal a little eq on the harmonies.

Spencer R
Very cool. I didn't know anyone was still making music like this, love it. Vocal sounds great but I'm not sure I buy the 'no processing', has that compressed attack, maybe just a really good singer.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Spencer R
Thanks for sharing this. It sounds freaking great.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Spencer R
Man Spencer that track is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Spencer R
Cool song! You got the Rod Stewarts about you! Noice!
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Spencer R
Spencer would you mind sharing more about the tracking of this song? I don’t hear tones and separation like this often anymore. Really great!
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialXYZ View Post
Spencer would you mind sharing more about the tracking of this song? I don’t hear tones and separation like this often anymore. Really great!
Thank you sir, for starts this is three piece band vocals/guitar, bass, and drums. We tracked the song live so if you listen you can hear vocals faintly in the background in certain areas from the original performance bleeding into the drum mics. We kept the drums and bass and would overdub the multiple guitar parts and vocals.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The JC has more presence than the Sony; the latter sounds round and quite beautiful, I think. I didn't feel it was much of a contest on fingerstyle acoustic guitar, though I could imagine the extra "poke" of the JC being helpful in a busy mix. But keep in mind that I'm a guy whose SM57's rarely come out of the storage cabinet, so obviously other people like different things. I did think what the JC did on vocals was interesting and potentially useful (amend that: Spencer's example is smokin'!); the Sony was good too, but different and it would probably depend on the particular style and singer which I'd want.

Did I miss a shootout between these and the Josephson C715? Which one is it more similar to?

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
The JC has more presence than the Sony; the latter sounds round and quite beautiful, I think. I didn't feel it was much of a contest on fingerstyle acoustic guitar, though I could imagine the extra "poke" of the JC being helpful in a busy mix. But keep in mind that I'm a guy whose SM57's rarely come out of the storage cabinet, so obviously other people like different things. I did think what the JC did on vocals was interesting and potentially useful (amend that: Spencer's example is smokin'!); the Sony was good too, but different and it would probably depend on the particular style and singer which I'd want.

Did I miss a shootout between these and the Josephson C715? Which one is it more similar to?

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
No shootout. I just mentioned that I hadn’t expected the family resemblance between the C715 and these two to be as obvious as I think it is. Wouldn’t make sense to say it’s closer to one or the other imo. Though you hear more of a difference between the Sony and the Tonelux than I do.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
I think it's more than just a frequency response issue. The original is warm and fuzzy. The JC is clearer, and consequently more useful, IMHO, especially in the context of the less hyped response. I easily prefer the new one, but I do prefer transparency over color under many circumstances.
Old 4th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I found using a Coil CA70 on the Soyuz 017 tube I get a similar dark, solid texture to the Tonelux. With the Manley Silver's it's pure chocolate, delicious.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
JC37 Tube....huh?

So this is in NO WAY trying to bash this wonderful new mic. I still want one! A friend just bought one, and as I own a Sony, that he had used, I was curious for him to report what he thought. He said the Tonelux sounded beautiful, but the top end was a bit different than the Sony ( which I had heard as well from other users ). I suggested he try an different tube....6AU6 tubes are readily available as NOS, from many makers. Well, the mic DOES NOT have a 6AU6 in it, although all information says it does. It has a JAN 5654w. Anybody have any information or thoughts on this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
They are interchangeable.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdraudio View Post
So this is in NO WAY trying to bash this wonderful new mic. I still want one! A friend just bought one, and as I own a Sony, that he had used, I was curious for him to report what he thought. He said the Tonelux sounded beautiful, but the top end was a bit different than the Sony ( which I had heard as well from other users ). I suggested he try an different tube....6AU6 tubes are readily available as NOS, from many makers. Well, the mic DOES NOT have a 6AU6 in it, although all information says it does. It has a JAN 5654w. Anybody have any information or thoughts on this?
With the C37A I owned and sold recently, I found that the tube made a HUGE difference. When I first got the mic I had it serviced and the tech put in a 'high-quality' tube seemingly putting the priority on noise-level. The mic sounded quite a bit dull and muted. I later tried various tubes and the difference was pretty extreme, often much better hi-end response with a tad more noise than didn't bother me at all.

I wonder how the Tonelux acts here?
📝 Reply