"And then reconve-ene".
"They'll tell us a lot".
"And we've got to be".
"True to our code"
"So make it one for my A/B".
"And one more".
"For the Rooooad"

Chris
EDIT: Just wanted to add there's an excellent interview with Joe C. on YouTube, with Mitch Gallagher/Sweetwater.
They talk in detail regarding the JC37/Sony C37a for about 14 minutes, and how Joe started using the C37a in the studio.
Then later more of Joe's Producing/Engineering career and thoughts. Well worth watching!
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Nut

Ok, hopefully i can post links to clips here.

Drum set room mic test Tonelux JC37 vs Neumann U47 both though a matching pair of Quad Eight MM61 channel strips. 44.1/24bit, Burl B2 converters

No processing at all. both mics placed side by side 4' in height and about 10' back from the kit.

JC37-

https://soundcloud.com/user-13575677.../s-CSgZlhGWBqb

Neumann U47

https://soundcloud.com/user-13575677.../s-wBvRN0NBept
Old 16th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistTurner View Post

Drum set room mic test Tonelux JC37 vs Neumann U47 both though a matching pair of Quad Eight MM61 channel strips. 44.1/24bit, Burl B2 converters

No processing at all. both mics placed side by side 4' in height and about 10' back from the kit.
Thank you so much for doing this! Your drums and room sound great.
It's definitely helped me come to a decision after hearing vocals and drums now which are the things I record most.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

This project took a long time to get done. In the beginning, the project was to fix Joe's old Sony C-37a mics, and get them back to their original electronic condition, which was no easy task. It was not until after the fact we all decided it would be a "cool" idea to make a real C-37a. At the time, there were several companies out there making their interpretation of a C-37a, and it is just that, not the real deal.

There are several factors that make a Sony C-37a sound the way it does. You cannot substitute an alternate transformer for it, as well as the way the original capsule was made. Different tubes also make a "huge" difference. NOS tubes can also go bad very quickly and they all change the sonic character..

So yes, it has taken us a long time, and while we have sold a good amount of these mics to very high end profile guys, they are not always interested in posting clips or opinions, they are busy making records with them. As Joe said, he has not been on this thread because he is out there "attempting" to be a record maker.... Ha Ha...Joe is at the top the heap pile folks, so when he comes on here you should all listen and believe him. Me, you can scream at me, call me names, call me a liar... I don't really care, but Joe really has a lot of work on his plate, so believe him...

The Sony C37a, is not the end all to your mic locker. It is a tool. It just happens to be a very good tool, and something that does not sound like a Neuman. If you want a Neuman, you buy one. The C-37a has its historical place in the world of recording. If and when you get one, it will perform for you as it should do, and have the character and quality of the original. It is not a 100% dead on match! It is about 93% accurate. The other C-37a clones stray from the original design and are nothing like this one.

Your milage may vary, and when and if, things get back to normal, dealers might be willing to let out a mic, again, you will have to check their policy. We, are still trying to find a way to up the production, but they are hand made. To do this, we will have source parts in larger quantities. We will not do that unless it meets our standard.

Until then, Joe will get some clips up, but remember, you will listening to them either on a set of computer speakers, or you will download them to something else, so again, it will not be like making your own recording in your own studio with our C-37a, but there will be clips.

The main thing now is for the world to open up, but open up carefully and continue to safe distance, and wear masks. Masks are a sign of respect. It shows you care about others not getting this terrible virus. Showing up with loaded military assault weapons to demand all business open, and to protest that you should not have to be wearing a mask is insane. Please, stay safe!!!!!

A lot of people are going to die in the next 60 days!!!! Focus on that!
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

JC37-

Neumann U47

IMHO the JC37 clip sounded more "ribbon-ish".
The U47 clip was more "in your face".

One of many situations I could hear the JC37 would be particularly suited for...
Is for "recording" Pro Sax players-and those who record them, who frequent GS. Along with anything else "Jazzy".
Not that you can't use the JC37 for other things too!

Thanks again for the drum clips!
Chris
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

JC37-

Neumann U47

Def a very mellow top & some hefty thud. Sure that wasn’t a 4038?
Anyway....thanks for the time & effort! I appreciate it!
Think I’m good. My ribbons have got that vibe covered.
I was expecting a sort of slightly veiled hifi sound. I’m hearing just veiled.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

C37A on Alto sax, woodwinds (clarinets etc), or as a kit-behind mic is quite amazing.

Definitely not a 'middle ground' vocal mic (it's warm and chunky) but my goodness when it works it's incredible.

My go-to guitar amp mic is either an 87 or a 67 (combined with a dynamic of some sort), BUT, I've occasionally tried my C37A and have been totally into it every time. In fact it's pretty special on guitar cabs assuming you're starting off with a well-balanced or maybe brighter sound. If you're dealing with a muddy guitar tone forget it...

Also worth nothing that IMO it has some of the smoothest HF of any mic I've used. If you can find one which isn't super noisy and you have a really decent high-gain mic pre with low noise and a good clean top end, you'll find you can just keep boosting the air until there's no tomorrow. It'll still have that slow 'ribbon-ish' quality but it's WAY smoother than other darker mics brightened up.

I'd love to try a Tonelux at some point...
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

IMHO there'd be a bit more detail to the Tonelux vs a 4038 on those drum samples...
Chris
Old 17th May 2020
Gear Guru

Is there any chance the manufacturer could provide a frequency response and polar pattern graph of the microphone?
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Without having done a direct comparison between a ribbon and the 37, having used both I hear the 37 as being un-hyped in a way that very few mics are. Ribbons roll off similar to the way a first order LPF does. It's not the same. Creamy but not rolled off per se.
Old 17th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IMHO there'd be a bit more detail to the Tonelux vs a 4038 on those drum samples...
Chris
Now you tell me, i unplugged a Coles room mic to plug the Neumann in!

Maybe i'll add a coles to the batch of them next week.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Blind test, at 50 paces?
Thanks, Chris
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

I know a few folks on GS -- myself and @ Birdlives1955 at the very least -- would love to hear samples of the JC37 on saxophones or other woodwinds. If anyone ever grabs any clips, please share them if you can!
Old 17th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:

JC37-

Neumann U47

Thanks for sharing these. Pretty interesting to hear the differences.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Just watched Elvis 'Aloha From Hawaii'. C37-A spotted on flute! Featured during the 'All my trials' part of 'An American Trilogy'. Played by Gabe Baltazar. (o.k, I had to Google that)
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux JC 37, new sony C37-aloha-c37a.jpg  
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear
The contrast between those two mic's is fantastic. One is like curved in, the other curved out. Kinda like the "In your face" = curved out. Out in space = curved in.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Put them both together and voila!
Mobius Strip. Actually, that'd be a cool name for a Channel Strip.
Chris
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Just watched Elvis 'Aloha From Hawaii'. C37-A spotted on flute! Featured during the 'All my trials' part of 'An American Trilogy'. Played by Gabe Baltazar. (o.k, I had to Google that)
Just curious how you knew it was the A as opposed to the solid state P version.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Just curious how you knew it was the A as opposed to the solid state P version.
Oops, you may be right! I didn't think of the P or even realized that it looks the same. I could argue that it sounds too good to be solid-stage but wouldn't bet on it!
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Oops, you may be right! I didn't think of the P or even realized that it looks the same. I could argue that it sounds too good to be solid-stage but wouldn't bet on it!
No real way of knowing. They are obviously different, though they do have a similar signature. Would be curious to hear a controlled comparison between the two Tonelux versions as well as with the originals.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head
The P had the dB pad on the back which I'm positive the A didn't have (correct me if I'm wrong). It looks like the one pictured had the black switch on the back. I may be wrong.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTunes7 View Post
The P had the dB pad on the back which I'm positive the A didn't have (correct me if I'm wrong). It looks like the one pictured had the black switch on the back. I may be wrong.
Forgot about that. You're correct, as well as the sliding ring that actuates the HPF. So the one pictured is indeed the C37P. So glad we cleared that up...
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Anyone seen/have any examples? Can’t seem to find a review or demo of this thing anywhere. I briefly heard this mic at namm on a busy showroom floor and was honest to goodness impressed, side by side with one of the sunset c37a’s. Definitely very close, both sounded fantastic but hard to tell what I was really hearing, as I was just speaking into the mics, and it wasn’t exactly the most quiet environment. To my ears the midrange characteristics were extremely similar, the top end as well if a touch faster and brighter with the tonelux. The top on the original felt darker and friendlier/silkier. Not sure if this is by design or because of the age of the original. Would love to hear some examples on a good vocalist, drum overheads, piano, anything haha. Anyone know anyone with this thing? Anyone going to review it?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Also interested in a comparison between the FET versions. In that case, I'm actually interested in how the new one might be an improvement on the old, which I own.
Old 4 weeks ago
I just bought one from Sweetwater can't wait to try it out!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiwoman View Post
I just bought one from Sweetwater can't wait to try it out!
Looking forward to your review!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Requesting Dusty's "Son Of A Preacher Man"!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Anyone have a clip?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And how about a recording too?

Chris
📝 Reply