The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
That "SWEET SOUL MUSIC" thread! Dynamic Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Right on Mike! I know I can do better ala G&H's method too. Thanks, Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
How many records can you think of that were hits in spite of the audio quality?
The first Stevie Wonder hit, when he was Little Stevie Wonder, seemed like a poor audio recording, even by the standards of the time. The quality of the live recording is so “meh” that I wonder if it was recorded with the intention of releasing it or for some other reason.
Does Bob or anyone know what the story is on “Fingertips”?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
it was death by a thousand cuts some deeper than others

first off the organization SPARS started because by mid 70's you could buy an mci or harrison console a 24 track tape deck and some mics and be a studio.. there were more studios with available time than time needed..so SPARS started to separate err "the big boys" from the competition..two 24 tracks etc etc..all in a race to the end

then digital came out.. tape sales were fully 1/3 the gross income of a studio. [i was chief eng as well as general manager] multi track , mix down ...1/4 inch 7 1/2 ips take homes and cassettes..so most of that effectively got wiped out

then protools and the multi's were gone

think of it 30 ips different takes..probably 7-14 multi's on a simple project then a dozen and a half or more reels of 1/4 or 1/2 inch 2 track masters and all the tape copies for multiple people on the project every day [we had dedicated tape duplication rooms for tape copies]..err forget the 23 twenty-four track slave reels with whitney's vocals for 1 SONG

now pitch and time correction and the real artists are gone too

there are literally dozens of "musician based" home studios within a square mile of me and about 6 full fledged studios and i don't live in city center proper
I forgot about tape sales... man, that must’ve really been a kick in the bellz when that dried up. Even local radio stations made daily sales charging for tape dubs of commercials, etc
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not Bob obviously here, but there's a good overview at songfacts.com

First song to be a "live" #1 and also Marvin Gaye drummed on the live version too!
IMHO the fantastic energy captured on the take, WAY outweighed any sonic defects.

"Uptight" was Stevie's first studio cut, to be a big hit (#3) in 1966.

I look forward to Bob's additional insight!

Chris

P.S. Any good H-D-H stories?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post

Does Bob or anyone know what the story is on “Fingertips”?
It was #1 on The Hot Billboard Singles for (3) weeks in 1963, and it launched Stevie Wonder's career into the Superstar Status, so that's a pretty good story, wouldn't you say?

Ironically, it was not written by Stevie.
Old 2 weeks ago
Motown legend

My understanding is that Benny Benjamin was the drummer and he was who shouted "what key, what key?" as a joke. I never saw the original tape but suspect it was mixed live to 2 track using headphones.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
before buss acn's and preamps that didn't overload so easily ..recording had a def "sound" that wasn't really the sound in the room per say..even if back then you could tell they unique label rhythm sections if they were playing thru a telephone receiver

Hey Mike how was it recording and mixing "Strategy"? That's my jam lol.
Do you remember any details about the session?
Pretty much all LCR? What type of reverb was used on the song?
Everything sent through stereo verb? Or mono verbs?

Always loved and got a giggle from that that quick rise of verb on the L guitar lick at 4:47 in the song.

What processing on the bass guitar? Chorus? It sounds direct but there's some width to it (it's not straight up in the center)..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I know Bob O. would know this, but I found out about a very cool album done in
1970, that had David & Jimmy Ruffin singing songs together.

It's called "I Am My Brother's Keeper"-highly recommended listen!

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritahn View Post
Hey Mike how was it recording and mixing "Strategy"? That's my jam lol.
Do you remember any details about the session?
Pretty much all LCR? What type of reverb was used on the song?
Everything sent through stereo verb? Or mono verbs?

Always loved and got a giggle from that that quick rise of verb on the L guitar lick at 4:47 in the song.

What processing on the bass guitar? Chorus? It sounds direct but there's some width to it (it's not straight up in the center)..
who did that song?
Old 2 weeks ago
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I know Bob O. would know this, but I found out about a very cool album done in
1970, that had David & Jimmy Ruffin singing songs together.

It's called "I Am My Brother's Keeper"-highly recommended listen!

Chris
I barely remember it but remember some of the song titles.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's one of the true "lost classic" Soul Albums .

BTW I'm taking my "baby steps", helping a couple of the local Soul groups, with
a few vocal arrangements. It's been a steady listening diet of genius producer/arrangers like HDH, Whitfield, Van McCoy, Issac Hayes, Curtis M., G&H/Thom Bell., McFadden/Whitehead...
For creative inspiration, and move the group live playlists, beyond what mainstream audiences today, are familiar with.

Just beginning to REALLY appreciate the value of the great BGV groups, like the Andantes & Originals. Plus the strong call/response style of a group like the The Pips-perfect counterbalance to Gladys!

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
who did that song?

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And they dance just as good as they walk!
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lol archie bell i'd have to ask my dad [lol not that old man]..i always like showdown which the new york dolls covered which proves a great song is a great song and can flip musical genres and still be great..just like gerald levert doing a country song "why can't i find love"
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
lol archie bell i'd have to ask my dad [lol not that old man]..i always like showdown which the new york dolls covered which proves a great song is a great song and can flip musical genres and still be great..just like gerald levert doing a country song "why can't i find love"
Haha your credits said you were the assistant engineer, so I had to ask! *thumbs up*

Look forward to the info!
Old 2 weeks ago
Motown legend

I heard a great story about Archie Bell and Tighten Up. It had originally been recorded in a garage as a band demo. After they got signed to Atlantic, there was talk of recording a higher quality version. Unable to make up his mind, Jerry Wexler brought the 7.5 tape into the mastering room to ask my mentor, Joe Atkinson, his opinion. Joe told me he told Wexler to not even think about re-recording it after he'd heard the first thirty seconds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Awesome!

BTW anyone else notice how similar Archie's singing voice is to the O'Jays' Eddie? They sound like brothers ala David/Jimmy R., or Jerry/Billy Butler.
Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search