The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any new mic sounding similar to vintage km84
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Any new mic sounding similar to vintage km84

I miss the sound of an old KM84 i was using before at a studio, they are not easy to find and kind of expensive if I want a pair of them. Does anybody know new microphones that sound similar to those vintage KM84 and at the same time if somebody know mic that sounds like the vintage km83 with the tuchnel connector (they are amazing!)

Thank you!
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
I miss the sound of an old KM84 i was using before at a studio, they are not easy to find and kind of expensive if I want a pair of them. Does anybody know new microphones that sound similar to those vintage KM84 and at the same time if somebody know mic that sounds like the vintage km83 with the tuchnel connector (they are amazing!)

Thank you!
have you seen this thread ?? Oktavamod MK-012: really as good as a KM84?

i own a pair of the Joly Modded 012's ..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
have you seen this thread ?? Oktavamod MK-012: really as good as a KM84?

i own a pair of the Joly Modded 012's ..
I'm going to read about that for sure, I guess there's info about the AA 1084 also.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm going to read about that for sure, I guess there's info about the AA 1084 also.
i have to say there is another company making some crazy cool small diaphram mics .. ISK .. Microphones – iSK Pro Audio

i have 2 Pearls !!! and would like to check out the Little Gems as well (3 capsules too) ..

with the Pearls, i cut some Shakers, Conga & Small Spring Drum in Stereo, Small Metal Djembe, & Stereo Acoustic guitar with the Pearls so far .. using a couple different mic pres .. Focusrite 215 / and old GL2 mixer .. pretty cool !!! the price is crazy good for what they are ..

Have no experience with the AA 1084's ... a friend has the km184's .. not the same as the older ones .. ok but not quite ..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have to say there is another company making some crazy cool small diaphram mics .. ISK .. Microphones – iSK Pro Audio

i have 2 Pearls !!! and would like to check out the Little Gems as well (3 capsules too) ..

with the Pearls, i cut some Shakers, Conga & Small Spring Drum in Stereo, Small Metal Djembe, & Stereo Acoustic guitar with the Pearls so far .. using a couple different mic pres .. Focusrite 215 / and old GL2 mixer .. pretty cool !!! the price is crazy good for what they are ..

Have no experience with the AA 1084's ... a friend has the km184's .. not the same as the older ones .. ok but not quite ..
I do use the km184 a lot, but it's not the same vibe on drums and acoustic as the km84, I'm looking for that less excited, narrower and softer vibe. The pearls are really cheap I admit!
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I do use the km184 a lot, but it's not the same vibe on drums and acoustic as the km84, I'm looking for that less excited, narrower and softer vibe. The pearls are really cheap I admit!
and a Candian Company to BOot "A" !!!

wait .. you are Montreal .. sorry about that
Old 22nd January 2018
Not really IME. A Schoeps CMC6 w/ mk4 cap has a less hyped top than a lot of SDC but it’s more neutral and less colored than an 84. Going through a good 1073 or 1272 type preamp with it will yield nice results. The Josephson e22s is great, while not a km84 it is a vibey thicker sounding SDC that is made by a master mic maker.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Not really IME. A Schoeps CMC6 w/ mk4 cap has a less hyped top than a lot of SDC but it’s more neutral and less colored than an 84. Going through a good 1073 or 1272 type preamp with it will yield nice results. The Josephson e22s is great, while not a km84 it is a vibey thicker sounding SDC that is made by a master mic maker.
I know pretty well the CMC6 very different, but very good sounding mic.
I use them mostly thru 1073 so, I would with the KM84 so it's not exactly the kind of mic i'm looking for.

But I never tried the Josephson, I'll check that out
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

i have a CMC4 with MK41 capsule here .. love that mic too through just about any micpre .. sold my 1073's and that was a good combo .. another good one is my v78m tube pre ..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have a pair of Pearls. I really wanted to like them, but so far I have not been impressed. I did an initial test with one against a KM84 on piano and shaker and in both cases I could hear a pretty hard rise in the top-end on the Pearls. I tried them as room mics taped to the ground, where I normally gave been using some Schoeps CMC6's with mk4 caps and I had to do a lot of corrective high shelving to tame how much they were bringing out the cymbals. At least they seem to have pretty low self-noise (for a sdc), so I might yet find a use for them.

I love KM84's. The closest mic to them that I've tried are the KM140's. I love my Audio Technica AT5045's, but they're totally different than 84's.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I have a pair of Pearls. I really wanted to like them, but so far I have not been impressed. I did an initial test with one against a KM84 on piano and shaker and in both cases I could hear a pretty hard rise in the top-end on the Pearls. I tried them as room mics taped to the ground, where I normally gave been using some Schoeps CMC6's with mk4 caps and I had to do a lot of corrective high shelving to tame how much they were bringing out the cymbals. At least they seem to have pretty low self-noise (for a sdc), so I might yet find a use for them.

I love KM84's. The closest mic to them that I've tried are the KM140's. I love my Audio Technica AT5045's, but they're totally different than 84's.
km140's are great I admit!
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

aren't beesneez lulu fets supposed to be km84 ish?

also 3u have a km84 type sdc - I think it's 'warbler 127 with flat cardiod'

two options you could consider at different pricepoints...
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

When I brought KM84’s for Blackdog studios, I was looking for a matched pair. Joel Morowitz from Estatic Electric sent me 8 of them to try and match two as close as possible. All 8 sounded different, some sounded downright bad. I found two that were close that represented the highs, mids and lows of the source I was recording and kept that pair.

I personally would not buy a used KM84 unless... a) I knew the mic and person selling or b) could get 8 to 10 used ones in to try.

Not all KM84’s sound good... too much time has passed and how they were treated throughout their live comes into play big time.

A couple mic companies are coming out with KM84 type mic’s this year... so I’ve been told anyway.

Neumann could make them again, why they don’t is anybody’s guess.
Old 22nd January 2018
Are they really that expensive in comparison? Say a pair of new km184 cost what? 1300euro, how much is a pair of km84? Not more then 2k euro.

I have 4, 2 are a consecutive serial number in mint condition but the other 2 sound good aswell. I had one beaten up km84 that was very thin sounding and sounded bad in comparison but as long as they look good they prob are. And if you're not happy with the one you got you can easily sell it for the same as you bought it for. That is the greatness of buying famous vintage gear.

I really love km84 and is probably the best investment I've done. One of the best mic's around which doesn't cost an arm and a leg ha!

Last edited by crille_mannen; 22nd January 2018 at 03:03 PM..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

As mentioned, 3U Audio has a transformer-based SDC out now called the 127. With the "flat" capsules it can supposedly get you close amd sounds good in its own right. Crazy affordable if that's true. It does sound very good on the sound samples I've heard from Ragan on this site, but hard to tell until you've got it in your hands. For the low price of entry its on the to-do list for a pair.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post

may i ask:

how close were you to the Pearls ??

i am using mine about away 4-5 feet, in a wide Stereo pattern, and on darker sources .. all these things could easily make a difference ..

acoustic guitar was a darker Taylor as well .. i will be trying them on some brighter sources .. and i do not mind the extra brightness most times .. i have some EQ's to correct but would move the mic's or try a different mic 1st ..

i have choices here and these worked for these sources .. as your Schoeps works for you on the floor .. i will have to try the Pearls like that and see what i get .. do you have a picture of this setup ?? how far away from kit ??, what kind of floor ?? any info would be helpful thank you
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Head

Just take a look

OPR MICROPHONES
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Maniac
subscribed!
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
When I brought KM84’s for Blackdog studios, I was looking for a matched pair. Joel Morowitz from Estatic Electric sent me 8 of them to try and match two as close as possible. All 8 sounded different, some sounded downright bad. I found two that were close that represented the highs, mids and lows of the source I was recording and kept that pair.

I personally would not buy a used KM84 unless... a) I knew the mic and person selling or b) could get 8 to 10 used ones in to try.

Not all KM84’s sound good... too much time has passed and how they were treated throughout their live comes into play big time.

A couple mic companies are coming out with KM84 type mic’s this year... so I’ve been told anyway.

Neumann could make them again, why they don’t is anybody’s guess.
lol go try to find a matched pair of 77's ..doesn't exist ..but the biggest problm with 84's is that they ground to the shell and over years of use that ground gets semi or fully broken more often than most mics that do… you gotta clean the hell outta them … mine was seemingly DOA 3 baths in EPA banned, military only, solvent cleaner [my buddy has 3 cans left] and they sound good as new..the 184 sucks ..way too brittle and no 10dB pad ..like wtf is that all about …

Last edited by Sigma; 22nd January 2018 at 10:02 PM..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear
Talk about sellers remorse

I miss my KM84. I sold because of how much I could get for them. I tried the KM184 and was completely disappointed. I wound up getting a pair of the MikTek C5's. Although not 100%, they came closer than any of the other mics I tried. Great for acoustic/classical guitars and drum overheads. No plan on selling them unless Neumann does an exact clone of the KM84.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

I will probably check out the BeezNezz Lulu, hear some demos they sound good! Also a tube version km54 style, they also have omni ball, can be interesting!
Old 22nd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecass View Post
Just take a look

OPR MICROPHONES
I gotta admit, not sure what mic that ac gtr is tracked with on that link, but does sound nice.

Kinda Zeppelin vibe thing going on.

Kind of hard to get nowadays.

Thanks for link, never heard of them.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
I gotta admit, not sure what mic that ac gtr is tracked with on that link, but does sound nice.

Kinda Zeppelin vibe thing going on.

Kind of hard to get nowadays.

Thanks for link, never heard of them.
hmm .. was a little bright sounding to me but maybe i just like things darker .. we each have our preferences ..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

try putting some small amounts of tape (!) around and/or acoss the center of the capsules of the km184's: i could make them sound close to my km84's.

or watch out for old calrec's...
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I will probably check out the BeezNezz Lulu, hear some demos they sound good!
They do sound 'good', I used to own a pair. But they sound shiny, and in that way not at all like km84s.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
try putting some small amounts of tape (!) around and/or acoss the center of the capsules of the km184's: i could make them sound close to my km84's.

or watch out for old calrec's...
thats interesting .. do you have any pics of this ??? and what do you think it is doing to the 184's ?? i have a friend that has a pari and would like to pass this knowledge along ..

thank you john
Old 22nd January 2018
Quote:
hmm .. was a little bright sounding to me but maybe i just like things darker .. we each have our preferences ..
I agree. It's a little bright. I like the way it picked up the body though.
Sounds like an old gtr recording. I miss that. Everything is soooo polished nowadays.

Not super duper airy like some new stuff.
Maybe just a good sounding gtr, with a player with good tone in fingers.

It does seem to be ever so slightly peaky...what 8k or so?
I agree. Still better than most mics in that price range.

I've heard worse.

Thanks for responding. Made me look at it again regardless.

I may still try a pair at that price.
Old 22nd January 2018
Yes on the calrec 1050, or other. Nice mics.

I am in a position where I need to have almost two full sets of mics. Have studio here, and working out of a start up room where there is a dire need for mics. Having to bring back and forth.

Looking for something that I can leave there and stop lugging stuff around. Or at least keep to a minimum.

Had posted a month or so back asking about old Sennheisers too. Got some great info.

Lots of cool old mics out there.
Doesn't Gefell make anything?
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
what do you think it is doing to the 184's ??
sorry, no pic, it's been 3 or 4 years ago...

if remember right, we were running a 3-5mm wide tape across tha capsule in order to prevent some direct sound getting to the capsule and maybe creating a 'bonsai early reflection' (we cut away some of the sticky adhesive where it was running atop the capsule).

we also tried applying tape just on on side which of course changed the pickup pattern in a weird way...

the other thing that worked was wrapping tape and velvet (i know, sounds strange) around the mic very close to the grill: think of the velvet as very small diffusor/absorber?!

the result was quite nice: we got rid of some of the hf bump yet could keep the advantage of the better spl handling and lower noise of km184's.

oh, to enhance the effect, we also used pop filters, but i wouldn't remember whether we left them on for recording? (for sure on the hi-hat, but there it stays always on)

haven't been doing this since as i switched to mostly schoeps and less neuheiser...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search