The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blind Vocal Mic Shootout! Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Which Mic Suits My Voice Best?
Mic #1
15 Votes - 39.47%
Mic #2
16 Votes - 42.11%
Mic #3
7 Votes - 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th March 2018
  #91
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
1. I LOVE your voice.

2. I am in Western Pa (Pittsburgh) so it's probably out of your area but I would jump at the chance to record and produce that voice (I did a lot of singer song writer production in my day, that's the kind of voice I always loved to record).

3. Just doing what I do with any kind of a shoot out... sort of just listen like a music fan not a audio geek. I didn't jump ahead, listed to all the tracks and the clear winner for me was #1 .... they all sound great but there is something about the closeness of the that sound, it's the mid-range that just works with your voice and the type of tune.

Excellent stuff, thanks for doing this.
Hey Michael,

Thanks so much, man! I really appreciate your kind words, and I'd for sure be keen to hear your production work.
I basically self-produce everything from my studio in the woods right now, but I'm aware of the myopia that comes with wearing every hat. Particularly when I'm very meticulous about the authenticity of the recording process (real performances with minimal vocal comping and no auto-tune). So I'm considering finding someone to help at least with getting the rhythm beds tight, arranging the instrumentation, and generally assisting with guiding things in the right direction. Even if I still probably mix the record myself.

Cheers for the mic feedback too!
I'm very interested that #1 seems to be so popular, seeing it's the SM7b! My room is currently untreated, but I have a heap of stuff on the way from GIK Acoustics which should arrive early next week. So I'm curious to see if the more sensitive condenser mics in this shootout gain more of that same focused midrange presence once the room is sounding better. At the moment I'm caught between a rock and a hard place - either I use my condensers with my Kaotica Eyeball, which is decent but seems to muffle the sound and create a 'sock' effect; or I record without, which has a more even, open frequency response but sounds much more washed out because of all the room reflections. I'm also very keen to try out a Chandler REDD, because I keep on hearing great things about it.

This has been a really fun exercise, and I'll totally keep posting stuff as my studio and gear change.

Cheers
Old 13th March 2018
  #92
Lives for gear
 

Hi Kroc


Here are some questions I've even asked famous singers.


Do YOU like your voice?


What do you like about it?


What do you not like about it?



Jerry
Old 13th March 2018
  #93
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
If you asked me those questions I would walk out of the conversation.
Old 13th March 2018
  #94
Lives for gear
 

I wonder why the famous singers didn't?


They actually LOVED the questions, and please note, they're just questions, no dark motive's behind them
Old 13th March 2018
  #95
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
That's like asking a girl to tell you how pretty she is. What do you like about your body? What do you not like about your body?

I don't care about motives, that's just an inappropriate thing to ask someone.

You're lucky those guys didn't give you the finger.
Old 13th March 2018
  #96
Lives for gear
 

No, it's like asking a pretty girl if SHE thinks she's pretty


Regardless, how can you speak for the singers I asked the questions to?


Please note that I have no problem with you feeling as you do monkeyxx, I just wish you would return the same for me


You can ask me the same questions if you'd like, and I'll answer anyone honestly, and I won't take any offense with the questions.
Old 13th March 2018
  #97
Lives for gear
 

Kroc,

If YOU find my questions inappropriate, please let me know, and I'll delete the questions.


Thanks,

Jerry


PS
I think your voice sounds GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th March 2018
  #98
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
Hi Kroc


Here are some questions I've even asked famous singers.


Do YOU like your voice?


What do you like about it?


What do you not like about it?



Jerry
Hiya Jerry!
Great questions. Very thought provoking, because people rarely ask you those specific things. They're actually pretty tough for me to answer, too!
I'll try to be as candid as possible...

I do like my voice! (Except for when I've been mixing the same track for weeks, listening to the same part repeatedly. Hah) I've worked for many years to get it sounding the way I want it to sound tonally, and to have it do what I want it to do, when I want it to.

In terms of what I like and dislike about it specifically, that's a tricky question. Largely because it's so subjective, and I've listened to my own voice my whole life. As far as dislikes, I try not to 'rag' on my own voice, because it's basically just a tool for delivering emotion, and I'm grateful for the things it does well. There's nothing specific that I'd want to change about it.

In relation to recording, I like when a vocal chain makes my voice sound big and present, bringing out the detail and intimacy of quieter sections and lend sheen to my vibrato, while also bringing out the warmth in my lower mids without it getting boxy or muffled. Stuff where you can hear every word like the vocal is right in front of you, but without sacrificing top and bottom end fullness. I guess if we're getting super specific, I like stuff that spotlights my 8-10kHz, my 1.9kHz, and my 300Hz.

I think that mics that are heavy in the 1-1.4kHz range (and its harmonics), don't necessarily suit my voice as well because they bring out more hardness/sound thinner. That said, that's what I didn't like as much about the SM7b, and plenty of other people in this thread think it beats out everything else. Any mic that gets too sibilant can pose some difficulties too.

Anyway, these are my totally biased thoughts at the moment, and they could well change once I get my acoustic treatment in here and can hear what's going on a little better. Or just over time, with more experience/changing tastes. That's the trickiness of self-producing. E.g. I used to HATE 3.9kHz in my voice and pulled it out constantly, and now when I look back I think a lot of those recordings sound muddy.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 13th March 2018
  #99
Lives for gear
 
Lance Lawson's Avatar
 

#1 was textbook modern breathy ballad sound. I liked #1 but the modern breathlessness was a bit over the top. If you could get #2 as articulate but not so breathy I'd say #2 is the mic the go with.
Old 13th March 2018
  #100
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
That's like asking a girl to tell you how pretty she is. What do you like about your body? What do you not like about your body?

I don't care about motives, that's just an inappropriate thing to ask someone.

You're lucky those guys didn't give you the finger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
I wonder why the famous singers didn't?

They actually LOVED the questions, and please note, they're just questions, no dark motive's behind them
I guess this is really dependent on the singer. I work both sides of the glass, so I'm not at all perturbed by getting into this kind of stuff. Plus I'm working alone on my own stuff, and I want my music to sound as good as it possibly can. So I'm willing to answer any question if it might help in that pursuit, even if it might be confronting to think about. Though I guess I've been singing long enough now that I'm past the self-conscious phase. And I'm aware of how subjective this all is, and how important it is to have vision and self-belief above all else (Bob Dylan and Lou Reed were never opera singers ).

But they are difficult questions, and you might freak out a diva by making them think too hard about this kind of thing, so I wouldn't be asking them this the same day you want to get them to do a magical take. That's when you want to be buttering them up and giving them as much positivity as possible, if you want them to have any breath support. Haha.
Old 13th March 2018
  #101
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Hiya Jerry!
Great questions. Very thought provoking, because people rarely ask you those specific things. They're actually pretty tough for me to answer, too!
I'll try to be as candid as possible...

I do like my voice! (Except for when I've been mixing the same track for weeks, listening to the same part repeatedly. Hah) I've worked for many years to get it sounding the way I want it to sound tonally, and to have it do what I want it to do, when I want it to.

In terms of what I like and dislike about it specifically, that's a tricky question. Largely because it's so subjective, and I've listened to my own voice my whole life. As far as dislikes, I try not to 'rag' on my own voice, because it's basically just a tool for delivering emotion, and I'm grateful for the things it does well. There's nothing specific that I'd want to change about it.

In relation to recording, I like when a vocal chain makes my voice sound big and present, bringing out the detail and intimacy of quieter sections and lend sheen to my vibrato, while also bringing out the warmth in my lower mids without it getting boxy or muffled. Stuff where you can hear every word like the vocal is right in front of you, but without sacrificing top and bottom end fullness. I guess if we're getting super specific, I like stuff that spotlights my 8-10kHz, my 1.9kHz, and my 300Hz.

I think that mics that are heavy in the 1-1.4kHz range (and its harmonics), don't necessarily suit my voice as well because they bring out more hardness/sound thinner. That said, that's what I didn't like as much about the SM7b, and plenty of other people in this thread think it beats out everything else. Any mic that gets too sibilant can pose some difficulties too.

Anyway, these are my totally biased thoughts at the moment, and they could well change once I get my acoustic treatment in here and can hear what's going on a little better. Or just over time, with more experience/changing tastes. That's the trickiness of self-producing. E.g. I used to HATE 3.9kHz in my voice and pulled it out constantly, and now when I look back I think a lot of those recordings sound muddy.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan


You don't know how relieved I am to hear you took no offense in my asking you the questions as I did.



I find it interesting why you and famous singers appreciated the questions, whereas others found them inappropriate, but I would guess it has something to do with personalities, self confidence, self awareness, humility, etc., but most importantly, that's simply the way they think, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that!



As far working for many years to get your voice to sound the way you want it to sound tonally, I'm EXACTLY the same way.

My problem is that I'm writing different genre Songs, and I have to use a different voice depending on the Song, even though I think the voice I use for my R&B Songs is the one I personally like best.

This "problem" stems from the last band I was in, and depending on the Song, I would either sing the low part, the middle part or the high part harmony, and I would drive the front of house guys crazy because the said they had no idea how to mix my voice (I think they knew how, but it would have been a lot of trouble to mix my channel different for every Song ).



When you say you hate having to wear so many "hat's", tell me about it

If all I had to do was write a Song, record my vocals and instruments, I could go on to the next Song very quickly!




I also find it interesting that many, including me, liked the SM7B the best, whereas you don't.



I'll say it again for the umphteen time:

No matter WHAT Mic I use...............................................................

At the end of the day, I STILL sound like me


Cheers to you Dan!
Jerry
Old 13th March 2018
  #102
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
#1 was textbook modern breathy ballad sound. I liked #1 but the modern breathlessness was a bit over the top. If you could get #2 as articulate but not so breathy I'd say #2 is the mic the go with.
Hey Lance! Thanks for the feedback. Interesting comments about the breathiness - for those original samples, #2 (1971 U87) was going through my GAP73, and I had a Kaotica Eyeball on it. And of course #1 (SM7B) has that very articulate midrange, but less 'fullness'. I think #2 is already quite a bit clearer through the MA5 that I bought a few weeks ago (it's quite a dark mic), but I'm also keen to experiment with it more with an API 512C for yet more midrange cut. And maybe I'll try tracking further back from the mic for less breath noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
Hi Dan


You don't know how relieved I am to hear you took no offense in my asking you the questions as I did.



I find it interesting why you and famous singers appreciated the questions, whereas others found them inappropriate, but I would guess it has something to do with personalities, self confidence, self awareness, humility, etc., but most importantly, that's simply the way they think, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that!



As far working for many years to get your voice to sound the way you want it to sound tonally, I'm EXACTLY the same way.

My problem is that I'm writing different genre Songs, and I have to use a different voice depending on the Song, even though I think the voice I use for my R&B Songs is the one I personally like best.

This "problem" stems from the last band I was in, and depending on the Song, I would either sing the low part, the middle part or the high part harmony, and I would drive the front of house guys crazy because the said they had no idea how to mix my voice (I think they knew how, but it would have been a lot of trouble to mix my channel different for every Song ).



When you say you hate having to wear so many "hat's", tell me about it

If all I had to do was write a Song, record my vocals and instruments, I could go on to the next Song very quickly!




I also find it interesting that many, including me, liked the SM7B the best, whereas you don't.



I'll say it again for the umphteen time:

No matter WHAT Mic I use...............................................................

At the end of the day, I STILL sound like me


Cheers to you Dan!
Jerry
For sure, man. I just want to help people with my music, and create the best sounding songs that I possibly can. So it's not really about me anyway.

Some people will love my music and forgive my imperfections even if I sing through a tin can, and other people might hate my voice even at its best, singing through the greatest mic in the world. Which is ironic for me to say when I'm getting so nitpicky over gear. But I just want to build the 'right' chain that represents voice flatteringly and sounds as detailed and huge as I could get in any high-end commercial facility, and then just do my best to make music that resonates with people. I still love self-producing, but it can definitely be hard to figure out what 'right' is, particularly with so many flavours to choose from. So the more feedback and questions, the better.
All of that said, a lot of my favourite records were done with 57s and terrible rigs (Bon Iver's "For Emma Forever Ago", Springsteen's "Nebraska", Sufjan Stevens' "Michigan"). Go figure!

I guess I don't actually dislike the SM7, I just think there might be a condenser out there with a similar midrange clarity that would be more 'wowing' and sound bigger with sparser tracks. The SM7 does a great job for the price, particularly with rockier tracks. E.g. For this original song, I'll almost certainly use the SM7 when I track it properly in the studio: https://youtu.be/vKDQmTG9WUc

-Dan
Old 13th March 2018
  #103
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post

I guess I don't actually dislike the SM7, I just think there might be a condenser out there with a similar midrange clarity that would be more 'wowing' and sound bigger with sparser tracks. The SM7 does a great job for the price, particularly with rockier tracks. E.g. For this original song, I'll almost certainly use the SM7 when I track it properly in the studio: YouTube

-Dan

When you find that Mic Dan, PLEASE let me know
Old 14th March 2018
  #104
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
That's like asking a girl to tell you how pretty she is. What do you like about your body? What do you not like about your body?

I don't care about motives, that's just an inappropriate thing to ask someone.

You're lucky those guys didn't give you the finger.
As noted, that analogy is invalid and only a hothead, hypersensitive butthole (yeah, there are a few musicians like that lol) would give someone the finger at being asked such a question. If they'd rather not say or don't care for the question, it's easy enough to dodge it and move on, as I suspect you or I or most anyone else would do. It's not like any offense was intended. But I agree that it might be inappropriate depending on the specifics. You'd have to have a good feel for where that person is at (or at least be reasonably sure they aren't of the diva/butthole type).
Old 14th March 2018
  #105
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
All sounded the same to me ...all good.
Old 14th March 2018
  #106
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
As noted, that analogy is invalid and only a hothead, hypersensitive butthole (yeah, there are a few musicians like that lol) would give someone the finger at being asked such a question. If they'd rather not say or don't care for the question, it's easy enough to dodge it and move on, as I suspect you or I or most anyone else would do. It's not like any offense was intended. But I agree that it might be inappropriate depending on the specifics. You'd have to have a good feel for where that person is at (or at least be reasonably sure they aren't of the diva/butthole type).
And there's NO DOUBT in my mind that neither Dan, me, monkeyxx, or you are the diva/butthole type, and you're correct, I meant no harm in asking Dan, and I NEVER felt those specific voice questions EVER crossed a line
Old 14th March 2018
  #107
Lives for gear
 

They didn't

I would probably cry if you asked me that question though.
Old 14th March 2018
  #108
Lives for gear
 

Hi Bill


If you had Posted the exact Thread as Dan did, and had I asked you those questions, would you really have cried?


If so, please tell me why, as I'm not the kind of person that would intentionally make a person cry.


Regardless, I don't believe for 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of a second that you are the diva/butthole type.



By the way, there's nothing wrong if you don't like your voice.....


And there's nothing wrong if you do.



Jerry

PS
Many of the famous singers didn't like certain aspects of their voices, and I suspect some truly didn't, and others were just expressing humility (kind of like how many actors can't stand to see their faces on film/a giant screen)
Old 14th March 2018
  #109
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post

But they are difficult questions, and you might freak out a diva by making them think too hard about this kind of thing, so I wouldn't be asking them this the same day you want to get them to do a magical take. That's when you want to be buttering them up and giving them as much positivity as possible, if you want them to have any breath support. Haha.

Dan,

IMHO, the ones you call "diva's" are human beings as well


A few years ago I was talking with John Fogerty backstage while we were both eating, and one of his guards came up to us while we we're talking about our our favorite bands/artists growing up, and the guard jumped on to me for having the audacity to talk to a "Star".

I told the guard that John had as much barbeque sauce on his face as I did, and as soon as John heard that, he burst out laughing, and he told the guard to go have a drink while he and his buddy Jerry were talking



That being said Dan...............................................................


As I'm not being paid to record any diva's/non-diva's, I TOTALLY understand how it would not be wise to ask them that kind of question in those circumstances if one is being paid to capture an artist's best performance.


Trust me, I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid

Last edited by jerrydpi; 14th March 2018 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: I am an anal person, and I don't like to leave grammatical errors.
Old 14th March 2018
  #110
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
Hi Bill


If you had Posted the exact Thread as Dan did, and had I asked you those questions, would you really have cried?


If so, please tell me why, as I'm not the kind of person that would intentionally make a person cry.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was joking The only way you could make me cry is if you physically hurt me. I know being a thin-skinned whiny pouty crybaby who's offended if someone so much as blinks in their direction is all the rage in this country, but I never subscribed to it. In fact such people turn my stomach and I would be quite happy to see them all jump off of a cliff.

PS love the guard story above lol - some of these backstage people are in dire need of a life
Old 14th March 2018
  #111
Lives for gear
 

I decided to err on the side of caution
Old 14th March 2018
  #112
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
Dan,

IMHO, the ones you call "diva's" are human beings as well


A few years ago I was talking with John Fogerty backstage while we were both eating, and one of his guards came up to us while we we're talking about our our favorite bands/artists growing up, and the guard jumped on to me for having the audacity to talk to a "Star".

I told the guard that John had as much barbeque sauce on his face as I did, and as soon as John heard that, he burst out laughing and he told the guard to go have a drink while he and his buddy Jerry were talking



That being said Dan...............................................................


As I'm not being paid to record any diva's/non-diva's, I TOTALLY understand how it would not be wise to ask them that kind of question in those circumstances if one is being paid to capture an artist's best performance.


Trust me, I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid
Ha, good story.
Of course they're all human. But well-known/respected musician and diva are two separate things. I was referring more to the 'I need fifty five white puppies to wipe my feet with before I do this take' crowd - the ones where ego-cradling is an important part of the job.
Though we're all relatively more sensitive than the rest of society too! That's how we make art that resonates. So I guess what I meant was, this kind of self-analysis should be encouraged where possible with artists that are open to it and trying to hone their sound, but otherwise you might be better off making an executive decision for them and just being like, "It's cool, it's cool, you sound awesome!" to try to coax out a better take instead. Keep them in the 'Wow, that sounds cool!' mindset, rather than having them over-analyze things. Wonder is an underrated currency in production.
Old 14th March 2018
  #113
Lives for gear
 

I like the way you think and express yourself Dan 
Old 14th March 2018
  #114
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Apologies, @jerrydpi. While that may be the sort of thing I would never ask someone, it is an unusual question and apparently not that affronting. Better than hearing the same 5 things over and over again I would guess, to an artist speaking to fans. I guess I have been a little cranky lately, yeah. It's funny that it comes out on the internet (whoops.)
Old 14th March 2018
  #115
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
I like the way you think and express yourself Dan 
Thanks Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Apologies, @jerrydpi. While that may be the sort of thing I would never ask someone, it is an unusual question and apparently not that affronting. Better than hearing the same 5 things over and over again I would guess, to an artist speaking to fans. I guess I have been a little cranky lately, yeah. It's funny that it comes out on the internet (whoops.)
Hey, nobody meant any harm here. We're all chill. This is a safe space.

I could see where you were coming from too. I'd question the validity of the answers you'd get from any artist you ask these questions to, unless they're an engineer too.
Most of us don't know a darned thing about what's actually flattering or not about our voices in a technical sense. We're too close to it. It's like trying to see your face without a mirror. We just stumbled on stage one night, and people seemed to enjoy it, as did we, so we kept doing it. We can't really control our tone completely. It's just pure expression. So we just have to love that sound just the way it is, as best we can, and hope it keeps on coming from wherever it comes from. Generally that probably involves just trusting the engineer, the same way you'd trust a good photographer to capture your 'essence' flatteringly. Though if you know your 'good side', more power to you.

It's probably more accurate to ask, "Who are your heroes?" or "What kind of vocal sound do you really love?" to really get a reference point. Otherwise you might find the perfect clean, warm vocal sound, only to have them say, "Eww, that's way too pop. I want a gritty, retro sound."

That's why I appreciate all the feedback from the good people on this thread! If I've picked a mic that I like because it sounds 'big and warm', but everyone else thinks it's muddy and prefers the one with more midrange clarity, then it really helps get a broader perspective. It seems like one of the few somewhat accurate ways of referencing your sound externally.

This is an interesting subject to delve into!

P.S. I'm going to borrow a Chandler Limited REDD demo unit to test out to see how that compares with my current mics. From the samples I've seen, it seems to have a lot of larger than life clarity. So I'm hoping it might bridge the gap between the SM7 and the 87. I'm very interested to see if it sounds a few grand better than my 87 through an MA5 or API 512C, particularly after I get my room treatment next week.
Old 14th March 2018
  #116
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Yeah, that was a cool thing for me many years ago on Gearslutz. I posted an AT4047 clip of my voice, and someone noted a "low end resonance that I like in your voice," to paraphrase, which was something I hadn't really been aware of. So sometimes it's good to have real feedback.

Since then, my favorite mic is a 251 that I built and designed myself. It has that similar character of sort of a "droning" bass to it, which apparently really flatters me. But it's a much more pristine sound than the AT otherwise.

To answer the original question, most singers hate their own voices, even good ones. That's why it's not such a great thing to dwell on. It's like hey, Have you beat yourself up lately? Want to do it again right now? I think a lot of us are our own worst critics already.
Old 14th March 2018
  #117
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Yeah, that was a cool thing for me many years ago on Gearslutz. I posted an AT4047 clip of my voice, and someone noted a "low end resonance that I like in your voice," to paraphrase, which was something I hadn't really been aware of. So sometimes it's good to have real feedback.

Since then, my favorite mic is a 251 that I built and designed myself. It has that similar character of sort of a "droning" bass to it, which apparently really flatters me. But it's a much more pristine sound than the AT otherwise.

To answer the original question, most singers hate their own voices, even good ones. That's why it's not such a great thing to dwell on. It's like hey, Have you beat yourself up lately? Want to do it again right now? I think a lot of us are our own worst critics already.
Oh neat about your 251! My first thoughts are of a Beck - "Sea Change" type of sound, though I don't know how accurate that would be? That's definitely a great example of how well this forum can work.

Ha, the tumultuous journey of being an artist. For sure, I have days where I'm like, "Heck yes! This is the greatest thing ever", followed by days of, "Gahhh, I'm going to wind up as that homeless man playing buckets on the corner! What is life even?!"

...Actually, I spend a lot of time thinking about the best way to balance my studio workflow. Because often I like things that I did in five minutes better than stuff I slaved over for weeks, because I didn't have time to overthink it. So, aside from gear, I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to capture my own live sound as quickly as possible while still maintaining a high production value.

________________

Okay, so also, here are yet more comparisons!!
Here's the SM7b through the Avedis MA5, and then my U87 through the MA5 with 28k boost enabled, and through an API 512C. All have a bit of compression with RComp on opto.
I already have my own thoughts, but I don't want to color opinions!
Attached Files

87 API.mp3 (3.97 MB, 185 views)

87 MA5 28k.mp3 (3.97 MB, 173 views)

SM7B MA5.mp3 (3.97 MB, 166 views)

Old 14th March 2018
  #118
Gear Maniac
 
Kroc's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
...And, for another point of difference, here's a handheld clip with my Neumann KMS104 from yesterday.
Attached Files

KMS104 MA5.mp3 (3.97 MB, 153 views)

Old 14th March 2018
  #119
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Apologies, @jerrydpi. While that may be the sort of thing I would never ask someone, it is an unusual question and apparently not that affronting. Better than hearing the same 5 things over and over again I would guess, to an artist speaking to fans. I guess I have been a little cranky lately, yeah. It's funny that it comes out on the internet (whoops.)

No apologies are necessary monkeyxx, as you have NOTHING to apologize for


As an aside, whenever I'm talking backstage to guys such as John Mayer, Keith Urban, Eric Clapton, John Fogerty, Kenny Aronoff, etc., I have NEVER EVER talked to them as a star struck fan, and they definitely appreciate that


When Dan spoke of certain divas who say "I need fifty five white puppies to wipe my feet with before I do this take' crowd - the ones where ego-cradling is an important part of the job", I've found that those type people were the same before they became divas


Talk to you later!
Old 14th March 2018
  #120
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

To answer the original question, most singers hate their own voices, even good ones. That's why it's not such a great thing to dwell on. It's like hey, Have you beat yourself up lately? Want to do it again right now? I think a lot of us are our own worst critics already.

Make that SOME singers hate their own voices, as many I've talked to DID like their voices
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump