The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aside from reverb and delay how are you using auxes? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Aside from reverb and delay how are you using auxes?

Headphone mixes, reverb, and delay are some of the more utilitarian uses of aux sends. I’m curious to hear about how others are using them perhaps a bit more creatively. Care to share some of your techniques?
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Guru

Flangers, chorus, phaser, pitch shifting, modulation type things. Headphone sends when tracking.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac
I'll put anything on an aux. I like the effect of an expander, then reverb. This creates the effect of giving more reverb to the louder sections, keeping the quieter parts cleaner and more capable of punching through on a mix.
Sometimes I use Aux sends as a lazy way of doubling a track. For instance, I'll create an aux and put 60 milliseconds of delay on it, an slightly detune it. This technique basically creates a chorusing effect.
Sometimes I just use the aux sends as a way of adding effects without the effect affecting the next plugin in the chain. So if I want to blend the sound of 2 different reverb plugins for more lushness, I don't have to choose one reverb to come first in the chain, and then the second one would be adding reverb on top of reverb.
Come to think of it, I'll put pretty much any fx on an aux if I just don't want to commit to it, but want to experiment with dialing it in and out to taste, without affecting the rest of the track.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sidechains.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Flangers, chorus, phaser, pitch shifting, modulation type things. Headphone sends when tracking.
right! flanger / chorus all the time here mixed in low on vocals
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Parallel compression
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Aux sends are just a means to route a selected amount of a channel signal elsewhere on a mixing desk.

As others have said, once you have that signal split you can use it for whatever you want; FX, sidechains, parallel processing, headphone mixes, a separate mix balance, etc...

I suppose the only creative use of the aux send itself is to manually manipulate it on a desk, or to automate it in a DAW.

In the old days manual aux manipulation was used to create feedback loops such as dub delays. In the DAW you can use aux send automation to create dynamic interest in your mix's FX in the same way, but in much more detail.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

anything!

Sending a guitar or drums to a sub channel with compression and eq applied and then mixed back into the stereo buss
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear
ADT on backing vox
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Parallel compression
ITB?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

if a console without direct outs .. auxes can be used to create ISO sends to recorders .. or as Brent asked .. is this ITB or OTB ???
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Nut

Parallel compression / parallel processing, ITB especially. It depends also on the software: I've recently learned that Logic use AUX tracks for BUS functions also (always used other softwares).
And of course reverbs, delay. Not much for modulation fx, that I normally put in insert.
Talking about DAW routing, not mixers.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Parallel compression
This and simply for compressor plugins (better yet with hardware) that don't have a wet/dry blend. Sometimes blending it in with a compressor thats inserted on the channel can sound better than 2 compressors inserted in series.. Aux's are useful for anything that doesn't have a wet/dry option really.
Old 13th January 2018
I output pretty much all of my tracks to various auxes. Usually multiple auxes before they even get to their group(aux) ie “drum bus” “guitar bus” etc. My Aux section in Logic general mirrors my tracks section. Something less, often more, and everything is moving with automation.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

King Tubby style. Send the aux to a delay. Bring the delay return up on a channel. Then send that channel to the same delay. Beware.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
ITB?

Yes I do this sometime ITB for parallel drums when they are recorded bland. Only I slap an exciter on the parallel channel after the squish comp and bring it in underneath where it’s barely audible. works a treat!
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

I use a Toft ATB with 6 auxes and pro tools.
Aux1 is the mix into compression thing
Auz2 hall
Aux3 plate
Aux4 early reflections
Aux5 short mono delay smear/thickening/spread
Aux6 stereo delay

I love what they do but as I said I think of them as more utilitarian than fun. I have an additional 8 sends available from pro tools and I’m evaluating if/how/what to incorporate them with.

The aux to compressor thing was an eye opener for me. I think tchad Blake sends an aux to his eternal love the sansamp. Sending to guitar pedals is always a fun experience for me. I’m not partial to staying itb or otb just curious if anyone has any fondness for a particular piece of gear, chain, type of effect, or “tricks” etc they like to use.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Yes I do this sometime ITB for parallel drums when they are recorded bland. Only I slap an exciter on the parallel channel after the squish comp and bring it in underneath where it’s barely audible. works a treat!
In PT I can't do that using auxes without having latency issues.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't delay compensation take care of this? HD or vanilla? I do the aux parallel compression both with plugins and hardware inserts (preferred). Works fine either way.

There can be issues when recording or with input monitoring when things are routed multiple places, but work arounds for this as well.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow. I have no latency at all in auxes. If I flip the phase on the aux return channel the signal will even cancel out. But maybe this doesn’t matter as much? Follow me for a minute. If your doing drum squish and saturation type FX with auxes perhaps the latency has no negative effect on the original, only an “additive” effect...since its not an exact copy at that point? Am I making any sense?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
King Tubby style. Send the aux to a delay. Bring the delay return up on a channel. Then send that channel to the same delay. Beware.
This is one of those things that makes me wish I had gone with 32 channels instead of 24. I like the options you have when returning to a channel vs an aux return. I keep toying with the idea of adding a small mixer for fx returns and sending that to the aux return. I really like the idea of having aux sends on the effects returns. That and eq.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
This is one of those things that makes me wish I had gone with 32 channels instead of 24. I like the options you have when returning to a channel vs an aux return. I keep toying with the idea of adding a small mixer for fx returns and sending that to the aux return. I really like the idea of having aux sends on the effects returns. That and eq.

Hmmm...I think you said you have a Toft? Does it have dedicated “tape returns”? My console (and most other consoles I’ve worked on) have at least 1-2 additional auxes which can be tapped at the tape return module as well as a paired down 2 band EQ. There will also usually be a “flip fader” button. Does the Toft have that feature? If not it might be time to start submixing channels in the DAW before they hit the desk on mixdown!
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

The subgroups do have a direct tape input and there is a function to flip those inputs to the first 8 channels instead but I never use it. There are also 2 auxes (5 and 6) available on the subgroup channels. I didn’t even think of using that for the dub effect but generally I’m using the subgroups for multi Buss processing instead. Still no eq unless you flip to the first 8 channels. Generally using those for other stuff also lol. The Toft is great and extremely flexible but I’m always looking to push the boundaries. Hence the discussion.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Addict

Also in line with the parallel compression, i'll put some sort of compressor on a fader & send that to a buss; Put an EQ on that buss to add depth (Usually a Pultec EQ plugin). Depending how much low end you want, add a little bit and blend the return up into compressor.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

I always felt like the aux to compressor thing was something I'd do because I didn't have enough compressors and would "make due" with it as a kind of work around.

After years of doing that it blew my mind to realize it was a thing that some engineers had been doing with kick and snare forever ("the NY compression trick" was what people called it I think). The other really common thing along those lines is to get vocal eq'ed just for the air frequencies and bring it up parallel, either via an aux or it's own channel. Whichever makes more sense for that moment.

Of course people do it with just about everything nowadays. That "air" thing can be a useful approach with dynamic acoustic guitars too, to keep them crisp on lightly played notes, but when you don't want heavy acoustic compression.

Any instruments (or frequency ranges of instruments) that you want to kind of mush together or make pump together via compression, etc, well just buss them together. And of course there is the more obvious echo/reverb/modulation stuff.

In Logic I will use a few auxes as my group busses via the "track stack" organization feature....and then have separate aux FX busses.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Room mic effect.

Carve out the bottom and highs, leave the mids to add reverb and squash.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Stedman View Post
This and simply for compressor plugins (better yet with hardware) that don't have a wet/dry blend. Sometimes blending it in with a compressor thats inserted on the channel can sound better than 2 compressors inserted in series.. Aux's are useful for anything that doesn't have a wet/dry option really.
I think there's a big difference, between using a wet/dry "knob" and having the wet and dry on their own faders. The sonic effect is different, and things are much easier/simpler to adjust to taste.

YMMV

Quote:
What version? I do parallel drum comp with an PT send on just about every mix. PT10 Native. There is an issue with IK plugs, they don't seem to report correctly, but my Waves/API and McDSP comps are fine every time.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
What version? I do parallel drum comp with an PT send on just about every mix. PT10 Native. There is an issue with IK plugs, they don't seem to report correctly, but my Waves/API and McDSP comps are fine every time.
I've been thinking about this, but I'm not at the studio. At a certain point, the whole aux send and aux input latency thing was supposed to have been solved. But the first few times I tried it there was still weirdness, which I have since learned may have had something to do with the order and type of plugins (RTAS vs TDM). At any rate, I got into the habit of routing my smash-bus tracks to an audio track and printing it -- doing that, I could pile on all the plugins I wanted and it'd be in perfect sync every time. But that was 8 years and a couple versions ago, so maybe everything's okay now.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I've been thinking about this, but I'm not at the studio. At a certain point, the whole aux send and aux input latency thing was supposed to have been solved. But the first few times I tried it there was still weirdness, which I have since learned may have had something to do with the order and type of plugins (RTAS vs TDM). At any rate, I got into the habit of routing my smash-bus tracks to an audio track and printing it -- doing that, I could pile on all the plugins I wanted and it'd be in perfect sync every time. But that was 8 years and a couple versions ago, so maybe everything's okay now.
I think we get into habits and we keep doing them because we KNOW they work. Wo don't even worry about if the fix has been implemented. I know I do that.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verb or echo and nothing else.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search