The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What one item would you say exudes "Quality"? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What one item would you say exudes "Quality"?

so I'm talking about items that have that unidentifiable 'quality' thing going on...

I don't just mean "if money were no object what's the thing you lust after"

Actually to me more interesting would be the cheaper things that still manage this. Objects that have the deep deep vibe of goodness about them.. that gives you a good soul feeling...

I suppose there might be an element of "latest cool thing" too... again more interesting to me would be things that have stayed awesome over a decent time.

I'd love it if folks suggested their top pick (oh go on you can have more than one).

I fully expect that one person's "quality" is another person's "meh". No matter.

(with a nod to zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

My motivation here is just to see if your suggestions resonate with me.. but hopefully other folk would find this a nice thread too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

well I can say for starters that Cadbury's Flake is still as good today
as it was hundreds of years ago.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Any large format console. Neve, SSL API.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Speaking specifically of "exuding," any warmed-up piece of gear with big transformers in it smells like quality to me. A Neve console has enough to knock you over.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E
Old 1 week ago
interesting criteria.

MXR dynacomp . . .

anything from: a-designs, sound toys, u-he, martin
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All things Fearn
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Without hesitating a second: SSL 4000 / 6000's.

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I remember the SSL booth at some AES Convention in Montreux. The whole built quality (including at board level) and also channel strips and center section front panels were quite impressive.

Sadly the classical through-hole mounted component technology mostly belongs to the past. Current modern consoles with SMT boards from any manufacturer are much more difficult to maintain and spare parts will also become unavailable much sooner.

I expect that it will be possible to maintain those amazing SSL legacy consoles for quite some time from now, possibly even longer than much more recent consoles.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

ZOD ID DI - Listen, look upon and physically lift one. Quality, quality, quality and built to last decades! I have six and need at least two more.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
ZOD ID DI - Listen, look upon and physically lift one. Quality, quality, quality and built to last decades! I have six and need at least two more.
Just curious -- how would you use 6 (or 8) at once?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1. My Warmoth Strat neck with '59 Roundback profile.

2. Bill Lawrence noisefree Strat single coil pickups. Heavy duty and really let the tone of the instrument come out naturally.

3. Also have to speak to the quality of the iSK 2B Beauty tube mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The things that most gave me that feeling were a pair of ATC SCM50ASL pro.
A close second is the distressor, even the front panel alone smells like quality if you ask me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

ok , I'll throw this in : ev635a

Old 1 week ago
Avedis products
Old 1 week ago
I've known Tim Farrant since 2003. Everything he makes is top shelf. Sound and build quality.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

It is a good question. I originally bought two for my digital piano and acoustic guitar and loved the results with the tube and huge custom transformer.

I ran a few tests on my live rig with KMS 105s>Pueblo Audio JR4>ZOD and found a great sound. I have 8 channels of PA JR4 and will put a ZOD on each output or before in the case of digital piano and acoustic guitar.

More tests

Flea 49>PA JR4>ZOD sounded great

Tele 251 E>PA JR4>ZOD sounds great.

Dan makes the ZOD and uses it with his Upton 251 and LA2A without a preamp.

These are quality DIs with a lot of gain, built like tanks and are designed for flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Just curious -- how would you use 6 (or 8) at once?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
ok , I'll throw this in : ev635a
'Liked, in... a funny kind'a way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
It is a good question. I originally bought two for my digital piano and acoustic guitar and loved the results with the tube and huge custom transformer.

I ran a few tests on my live rig with KMS 105s>Pueblo Audio JR4>ZOD and found a great sound. I have 8 channels of PA JR4 and will put a ZOD on each output or before in the case of digital piano and acoustic guitar.

More tests

Flea 49>PA JR4>ZOD sounded great

Tele 251 E>PA JR4>ZOD sounds great.

Dan makes the ZOD and uses it with his Upton 251 and LA2A without a preamp.

These are quality DIs with a lot of gain, built like tanks and are designed for flexibility.
So you're using them as preamps, not just DI's. Off-label, so to speak.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Preamp into ZOD for mics, as the ZOD doesn't have enough gain to be the preamp. To me the ZOD makes most signals sound better however, not all as there can be issues. If you want to get a little creative you can solve the issues.

Ie. In my wide-ranging tests, Bricasti M7 to ZOD picked up a hum, Bricasti to preamp to ZOD removed the hum. Same for Burl B32 output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So you're using them as preamps, not just DI's. Off-label, so to speak.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My Ibanez 1520 "team J craft" which is of the utmost quality all around, and didn't break the bank (though if they made one like this today, it's would be a 2500usd+ guitar.

Or current day, my Caparison is so well made, I only take it out about once a week!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

my brain
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Id design and build my own console and have a faceplate machined on a CNC machine not unlike an esoteric Hi-end amplifiers faceplate ,maybe 15 mono channels plus 2 stereo . Then Id stuff with my favourite circuits, mostly transformer balanced mic inputs, a combo of Bax and Pultec Eqs, an array of nice compressors which are easily route-able to the channel strips. A selectable VCA and Fet compressor over the Mixbus. Id get some tech wizard to build ad/da converters into it so all the channels and the mixbus/s are connected from a single usb cable into a computer.
I put really fat and chunky wooden sides on it and carve mystical and art deco symbols and themes into it and put a combo of retro and space-fi knobs on it and the most 'out there' vu meters I can find....

But yeah, made in such a way so that its highly functional and fairly moveable , aesthetic and workflow in mind.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To me this means, top notch, exceptional, right out of the box, no mods, tweaking, setup, upgrades, repairs needed.

Tascam UH-7000
Marshall DSL-100H
Ibanez RGAIX6FM electric guitar
Taylor 114ce acoustic guitar
Zildjian K Custom cymbals in general.
maybe a Neumann KM184
Sennheiser e906
Shure SM7B
CAPI DIY kits!

To me, these truly do "exude" quality.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

thanks everyone for the input.. keep em coming!

I posted the ev635a as it's kinda solid, from when things were done properly, an indestructible tool that works really well... that gives me good vibes...
@sufitek - if it comes in under £500 put me down for one too..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anything from:

Avedis Audio
Crane Song / Dave Hill
Forssell
Studer before 1992
Electronaut
ADT audio
UTA
ATC
DW Fearn
Neumann
Milab
Josephson
Beyerdynamic
Ursa Major
LeSoprano Drums
d&b audio
Lawo
Stagetec

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

RND Shelford Channel, Great River mp-2nv, Chandler Ltd TG2...
Old 1 week ago
Sound Devices (702).
Radial (JDI)
iZ RADAR Studio.
Klotz Starquad cables.
Lowden guitars.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gordon Model 5 + Gain Control 34. When he calls it a "microphone preamplifier system" it definitely feels like it. Feels like the Terminator of mic pres -- dedicated focused and on a mission. Everything about it feels like anything extraneous was vetoed (taken out and shot) out of the plans.

SPL PQ Mastering EQ - motorized. Sadly no longer made. $12k when it was. Had one for use for many years (not mine). The heft/sound and watching the recall... drool-worthy.

Sony DRE-S777. What other piece of rack equipment goes through the hassle of (fake? possibly) burled wood front? One of the most natural sounding stereo reverbs -- better than Yardsticks (also in the rack) or TC System 6000 (also in the rack.) Don't know if still true, but the only impulses of Abbey Road Studios 1 and 2 were done for the DRE-S777 for use by the engineers there and the memory stick lockdown kept it from going anywhere else. And that was one of its two big downfalls: the proprietary memory stick protection and that the SOB would get hot(!); dedicated cold machine room was required.

And an honourable mention to the Euphonix System 5. Not the bastardisation of a console that happened with the Avid take over and the fader buckets were replaced with the multicolour rubberised touch knobs, but the original System 5 with its very sexy core towers, and the knobs and faders which would show the settings directly on the custom knobs and the recall and spills and splits and screens could do some amazing stuff. Avid is still clunky with trying to implement what was possible on that console +15 years ago. Harrison, SSL, AMS-Neve have implemented some of the abilities in their live/broadcast/film consoles but the slickness for a studio mix console like the System 5 is still not there. And I think that time has passed -- everyone either wants analogue tracking consoles (I'd agree) or giant daw controllers. The demand for a studio digital mix console is over. But it was a quality piece of kit.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search